Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

What did you do to your GMT today?

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by Conner299 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:10 pm

[url]Image[/url]

Decided to get a little crazy with the cheez-whiz at work. Got a jump start for plasti-dipping my wheels this weekend, on my lunch break.
I DON'T care what my GMT360 was designed to do, I care about what it can do!
Conner299
Addict

Name: Ed
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Sugar16 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:58 pm

I replaced my rear hatch window, somebody has wonderful aim with a rock :shoot:
Sugar16
Off-Roader

Name: Jonathan
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Cable810 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:20 pm

Got half of the front bumper sand blasted today and got the last rim sandblasted.
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Regulator1175 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:11 am

Well once again I feel like Gilligan. I set out on a simple cruise, and end up completely screwed!

Today I took the truck out to the Badlands for a little bit of off roading. This was as simple trip meant as a shakedown to put a little stress on my new transmission and make sure all is going to hold. Instead, on a simple rock climb that I have done countless times with no issue, I decided to grenade my G-80. About half way up the rock it started slipping, I felt it hop a couple times and then the locker locked and immediately decided it had come to the end of its life. I got it to dry ground, pulled the rear drive shaft, and pulled the cover on the rear diff. Sure enough, there were a few large chunks of metal, as well as a lot of small pieces. It looks as if a good portion of the teeth in the locker itself sheered. I added fluid back into the diff and managed to limp 30 miles or so into town. Along the way the c clip on the passenger side decided it was done and my passenger side tire and axle decided it wanted to start walking around a bit. This made for a really shitty ride, very difficult to control, and also a lot of scared vehicles on the road around me. Thankfully the brand new pads held up well and the caliper kept the wheel in place enough to get it into the hotel parking lot.

Big thanks to Mike Barton who once again came to my rescue, finding me a ride to him in Indy 90 miles away, and provided me with his truck and flat bed trailer so that I can get my truck home!!!

Cue the Six Million Dollar Man music!

“We can rebuild him. We have the technology. We can make him better than he was. Better...stronger...faster.”

I called my wife this afternoon, dreading the inevitable "now how much is this going to cost" comment. Amazingly, I got just the opposite and exactly what I was going to argue to her. She said, "Why do you keep rebuilding it with the same parts if all they are going to do is break! Why not build it stronger so you don't have as many problems and can enjoy yourself more while your out there?" :eek: :eek: :eek:

After a long discussion about what I would like to do and the costs, I think the decision has been made.

The truck will be getting a hand full of upgrades. I will move up to the bigger and stronger SS rear axle with 4.10 gears front and rear and lockers. Also on that build list will be the already planned longer control arms to push the axle back and fit 35" tires under him. I will be taking the transmission I just replaced in to have it serviced and rebuild and prepare it for replacement with the motor I have currently sitting on the stand in the garage. I am abandoning my quest for 300k about 25k short, but it is time to give this truck some new life and allow me to enjoy this hobby without worrying who may be available to come get me when it breaks.

That all being said, it will take time and money and will be a build that will progress over the summer as I can. My current schedule has me heading to the VA in Battle Creek, MI for a 12 week in patient program following Memorial Day. When I return my wife will be pushing 8 months pregnant and I will be needed around the house to help with our kids and then the new one following the birth. I believe at this point my off road plans are finished for 2013, which will allow me the time to build correctly this time, not just rush to get wheels back on the ground!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by chevycrew » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:40 am

Sounds fun! Take out elockers used to be available on ebay for the sf14 bolt.

All I did today was drop drivelines, t-cases, exhaust, trans pan, and change a motor mount.

Tomorrow should be full reassembly to driving. (Pending any issues picking up some parts)
chevycrew
Veteran

Name: Steve

by v7guy » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:53 am

looking forward to seeing the upgrades get tossed in
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by DirtyBacon04 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:43 am

I've been wanting some extra light in my cargo area, so I bought myself some LED driving lights. $20 total for parts. 1 hour of labor.

Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael

by dvanbramer88 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 11:58 am

I want to put lights like that inside my tool box. Looks Good!
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by DirtyBacon04 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 pm

Didn't want to hassle with that special tool for the fan clutch, so this is what I rigged up, and it worked alot better than that stupid tool. I'm probably not the first one to think of this.

Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael

by chevycrew » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:52 pm

New reservoir and redline synthetic power steering fluid. Installed extended o2 sensor for header.
chevycrew
Veteran

by DustinC1989 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:15 pm

Regulator1175 wrote:VA in Battle Creek, MI

If you need any help while you are in town, let me know. I live about 6 miles from the VA
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007

by dvanbramer88 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:18 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:Didn't want to hassle with that special tool for the fan clutch, so this is what I rigged up, and it worked alot better than that stupid tool. I'm probably not the first one to think of this.

That's just crazy enough to work. You're a smart cookie. I've backed out 2 bolts like you did the one and wedged a big screw driver between them. But I have used the tool before too, and it isn't that great.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by Regulator1175 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:44 am

DirtyBacon04 wrote:Didn't want to hassle with that special tool for the fan clutch, so this is what I rigged up, and it worked alot better than that stupid tool. I'm probably not the first one to think of this.

Yup, same way I have done it for a couple years now. Only difference is that I take mine out the wheel well and use the upper control arm. It is by far the easiest way to remove the fan!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland

by navigator » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:10 am

I ordered (yesterday) a ScangaugeII, dorman tranny pan, filter etc, B&M tranny cooler.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Wh1pple » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Well... Since this is GMT in general and the Envoy is yet to be in my sister's possession, here is what I did to my Colorado. Actually, it's more of a reinstallation since I flooded one at the Badlands in September. Hella 700FF converted to HIDs with 5000k bulbs. They're awesome. Great at spotting dear on the sides of the road way up ahead.

downsize.jpg
Mine: 2005 Chevy Colorado Z71 4x4 - Lifted 3" on 32" Cooper STT's (Soon to SAS)
Sister's: 2004 GMC Envoy 4x4 - Waiting to be Lifted
Wh1pple
Cruiser

Name: Levi

by v7guy » Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:14 am

Welded on my rocksliders.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by dvanbramer88 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:38 am

Nice man!
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

by chevycrew » Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:12 am

so far today. Torqued my lug nuts...

But ive got a long list and 2 days with the house and shop to myself, so lets see what all gets done.

Bunch of little stuff, then a test drive to see how the shift kit and pcm tune get along, then...

Build a rear sump oil pan!
chevycrew
Veteran

by JorDaneeKey » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:03 pm

Working on MarkMC's lift right now. Biggest hiccup? Fused bolts in the bumper. Hooray for impact wrenches and acetylene torches. :)
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Moots1288 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:14 pm

JorDaneeKey wrote:Working on MarkMC's lift right now. Biggest hiccup? Fused bolts in the bumper. Hooray for impact wrenches and acetylene torches. :)

Who needs impact tools!!!
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006

PreviousNext

Return to Truck Discussion