Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

So I've been thinking...

Trailblazer and Envoy related, but not off-road related...

by madmanvillain » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:40 pm

A friend of mines brother is selling his land rover for 4200 dollars...i think im going to put my TB up on craigs list tonight and see if i can sell it...if it goes in a week or so ill be saying good bye to the TB and hello to a land rover....
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

Name: mmv
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Philberto » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:17 pm

What model/year? Also, do you know if he religiously maintained it? If not, you could be buying into a maintenance nightmare. Best of luck.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by KE7WOX » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:06 pm

Second that. And I've heard that the ones built during the Ford ownership are just like Fords.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by madmanvillain » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:22 pm

madmanvillain
Off-Roader

by Philberto » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:18 am

I'm not usually one to refer to other forums, but you'd have much better luck and support by posing this same question here:
Expedition Portal Land Rover Forum

FWIW, I see that as a high-mileage aluminum v8, you'll likely have to swap soon, make sure he has maintenance records, or ask him to take $500 at least off the price. No rust just because it is in Georgia isn't a given, so check for that. It's a Disco II, so not as simple as the earlier Disco's, also it's longer and has a worse departure angle. Technically speaking, probably best year for the Disco's is the 1998 Disco I. At least this is a 2000, so it has a locking center differential; you just have to fit a solenoid or cable to activate it.

Definitely check out the ExPo link I posted. Land Rover ownership is like an addiction, and it's definitely a love/hate relationship. In addition, this thread will answer a lot of your basic questions regarding the vehicles themselves, frequent problems, and things to look out for:
ExPo Guide to Land Rovers

Once again, best of luck,

Phil
Philberto
Lifer

by SteveTB03 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:32 am

I agree with phil on this one that is high mileage for the disco so check everything on the suv rust, knock, brakes, acceleration and then for a vehicle like that id buy it for maybe. 3500$.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras

by Trail X » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:20 am

One big question.

Has he taken it off road? or is it a mall queen?

If he's beaten on it, you don't want it. He's just handing you his problems.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by johnburgelin » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:53 pm

Landrover's are nice but if it's been used and put away wet, you are bound to have a little gremlin or two in your future.....and those land rover gremlins will eat a hole right through your wallet
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2003

by madmanvillain » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:42 am

im still looking at it...98% sure i wont...things cost wayyy too much...plus it gets worse gas mileage than us...but its actually the brother of a guy i know and he says the engine only has 50k on it...
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

by SteveTB03 » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:11 am

If I were to buy it I would have to run it hard on and offroad just so I could make sure it ran to my expectations.

But I know if you did buy it I will be very jealous of you I've wanted a disco for a VERY long time.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras

by bartonmd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:49 am

Philberto wrote:FWIW, I see that as a high-mileage aluminum v8, you'll likely have to swap soon,
Phil

So you're saving up for your new engine soon, too, right? All the Trailvoy engines are all aluminum, so you shouldn't expect more than 130k out of any of them...

There are all kinds of reasons to not buy a Land Rover, but IMO, a 130k mile engine, just because it's aluminum, isn't one of them...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Philberto » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:32 pm

Not saying that at all... my caution lies in that it is a british leyland-built, buick-sourced v8 that is made off aluminum. The atlas i6 is much newer in design than the relatively unchanged buick design.
Philberto
Lifer

by bartonmd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:58 pm

bartonmd wrote:
IMO, usually, anything that's unchanged for a long time was pretty good to begin with...

Mike

Or was just good enough to not merit the expense of R&D. But your point is noted... The Prince of Darkness will consume that Rover long before the engine does.
bartonmd

by madmanvillain » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:29 pm

well scratch that...my mother called today and said that my father is getting a new truck and they are keeping his old one...but she doesnt like his truck (shes very short) and is thinking about trading vehicles...i like this more...i miss having a truck...plus better gas mileage...
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

by bartonmd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:45 pm

madmanvillain wrote:well scratch that...my mother called today and said that my father is getting a new truck and they are keeping his old one...but she doesnt like his truck (shes very short) and is thinking about trading vehicles...i like this more...i miss having a truck...plus better gas mileage...

What truck gets better mileage than the TB?? A compact truck, or a real truck?

Mike
bartonmd

by Philberto » Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:49 pm

15/21 real-world rating in the AFM 5.3 V8 trucks, far superior to my TB's current average of 14-15mpg.
Philberto
Lifer

by KE7WOX » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Real world as in EPA numbers? we should be getting 15/20 or 16/20 I believe.
This is an aggressive post. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate a post of this quality and depth.

Build Thread
KE7WOX
Veteran

Name: Felipe G
Vehicle Year: 2004

by bartonmd » Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:20 pm

Philberto wrote:15/21 real-world rating in the AFM 5.3 V8 trucks, far superior to my TB's current average of 14-15mpg.

You can't compare the EPA numbers at 55mph with what you do at 80mph, or the EPA "just barely on the throttle" in town numbers with your "driving normal" in-town mileage...

That truck has the same basic engine as mine (except iron block) with more frontal area and 600# more weight... Caravanning with my buddy's GMC AFM 5.3L Z71 on a trip at 75mph cruise speed, I did 19 and he did 17.5... He gets 13.5-15 in town, and my wife (who drives the TB like it's a F-in NASCAR) averages ~15...

IIRC, the trucks are rated at 1mpg less in town and 1mpg more on the highway (or the other way around?), but that's an average, and not anything worth trading a vehicle for in the hopes of getting one at or above the average...

Mike
bartonmd

by Trail X » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:52 pm

The EPA fuel econ numbers is a fair comparison metric between vehicles. But you can't realistically assume you're going to get anything near that with any modifications.

However, if you have a vehicle that is rated at 20 mpg and you get 15 with your modifications and driving style (75% of rated), you could assume that a vehicle rated at 40 mpg would give you ~30 mpg with similar modifications and driving style (again 75% of rated).

However that's really only for comparing gasoline to gasoline, or diesel to diesel. Hybrids are completely different.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Philberto » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:22 pm

True statements all, save for the fact that the EPA rating system changed to more accurately reflect real-world achievable mileage, so I would expect a newer 5.3 v8 truck to achieve better mileage than a TB, even if the TB has a higher or same average rating. Then downgrade for mods and heavy right feet.

-and it's 90 mph, 95 with a decent tailwind :D (note: only in situations of extreme tardiness). Note, however, that I manage to remain free of tickets.

All in all, mileage is relative to the value the vehicle has to you, especially concerning usability. If you can get more use out of a truck, then by all means, it is the more sensible option.
Philberto
Lifer

Next

Return to Truck Discussion