Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rock slider planning

by TBYODA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:54 am

So first of all thanks to all that have posted their efforts on making sliders. I have come to like the simple sliders that Mike has so coined "wife proof". To me they are simple and look as they have always been part of the SUV from the factory. So after reading main threads I decided to sketch up my plans taking some pointers I have read about. I am open to feed back for improvements. Not sure when I will get to them, need to practice welding some more.
I remember reading somewhere that Mike mentioned that there were a lot of dents scrapes on the front part of the sliders behind the front wheels. So to reinforce that area I am thinking adding larger 3/16" plate under the front & back legs. Not sure if this really needed or not but stronger is better in my mind. I took the diamond idea from comments v7guy made because I agree it should be stronger with the welds that way. Please confirm. One question I do have is on the end caps. From picture I can see the ends are closed off but is that just a plate welded or is kinda like cap that inserts inside the tube and is welded?
Last edited by TBYODA on Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Moots1288 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:48 am

It's plate welded in Jason's
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by v7guy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:40 pm

It looks like a solid design, most guys just weld a flat plate on the end, you'll notice in the old slider threads that even when the trail gears are shortened guys use a flat plate.

Have you considered whether you're going to cut the plastic rocker cover or if your going to remove it (and the lower door seal) or if you're just going to position it below the plastic?

If you have any thoughts of a body lift the time to do it is now. Obviously if 32s or 33s are the max you ever intend on going it's a non issue... I seem to recall you're intending on doing 32s and calling it good. Wasn't sure if you'd made a solid decision yet.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by TBYODA » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:03 pm

v7guy wrote:Have you considered whether you're going to cut the plastic rocker cover or if your going to remove it (and the lower door seal) or if you're just going to position it below the plastic?
I am going to cut the plastic because I want a clean look.

v7guy wrote:If you have any thoughts of a body lift the time to do it is now. Obviously if 32s or 33s are the max you ever intend on going it's a non issue... I seem to recall you're intending on doing 32s and calling it good. Wasn't sure if you'd made a solid decision yet.
We'll with everything been equal and like you it could change in the future. No body lift, however, I would love 33's now but pulling the front diff to re-gear seems too tough for me at this stage. I think I will be able hear everyone yelling at the screen. Beside I think that would be pushing the powertrain warranty I paid for.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

Return to Sliders