Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Those with Sliders...

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:04 pm

I am still trying to get some done and it seems the shop I wanted to do them will not be available til Nov and I am getting impatient. I am really considering the trail gear ones, but in the 67 inch length and not mounted backwards. I measure about 72-72.5 from my front fender cut to the rear fender opening. With have the 3 inch body lift and 33's I was wwondering if I would be ok centering them since it seems that as my tire comes off rocks, except straight ledges, there would be a taper as my tire went down that would allow my rail to be the next thing to hit. Or I am off completely and need to just wait? I also thought that it seems most people hit the front of the rail the most, so if I only left 1.5 inch or so gap from front fender and 3 inch gap to rear, would that work.

Advice is greatly appreciated, but custom will be much more as i can get the trail-gear for 150 delivered and welded cheap, I just cant get fab done cheap. :safari:
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by teebes » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:27 pm

The trail-gear looks like a good deal! The gaps you're talking about should be fine. Just keep in mind you want to keep the rocks from getting trapped and catching your sliders tho, personally I like how long mine are.

Majority of hits will be from the front and rear as you drive along, but don't forget they also get used as a pivot point and general protection when off camber / rocky trails.

Can't wait to see some pics :poke: :drive:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002

by The Roadie » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:34 pm

I recommend getting the short ones and shading them towards the front. The "falling off a rock" use of them for me is lot less often than the "use them to pivot around a rock that's going to take out my door lower edge"

Here's an obstacle I got over many years ago and I wish I had them:

Here's Teebes before he got his, and we had to be careful on the sandstone edges:

Typical rock obstacle, where the driver's front tire is about to go off a ledge, and that puts the passenger side rocker panel at risk when the vehicle drops:

On this obstacle, you might touch the sliders, but only in the first foot after the front tire. Bigger challenge is making sure you have enough departure angle after the rear tire.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:41 pm

Alright. The Cali crew has spoken and I think I can trust them. I will be ordering them tonight. I thought the gaps wouldnt be too bad for the price and if I see damage too close to the edges, I will do something different, but from the pics..THANKS..i think I will be ok for what I do and where I go. Thanks for the quck response
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:03 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trail-Ge ... .m20.l1116

Worth it? I was thinking to flip it over and angle around the top of frame(body lift) and the gusset. Or just cut some gussets when i get them welded up.
HARDTRAILZ

by bartonmd » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:17 am

Kyle,

If we do it here, I can cut and bend some 3/16" pieces like that, just without the holes (which you won't use anyway)

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:40 am

Sweet. I ordered them, so hopefully we can get them on in the next couple weeks.
HARDTRAILZ

by Gordinho80 » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:53 am

I'm inclined to agree with those who have them already. The shorter slider should not be an issue, but I personally would mount it closer to the front, leaving more of a gap at the rear. If you have the z71 springs and spacers in the back, you will generally already have more clearance back there. When coming off a rock, your tire is going to be right up to the edge of the rock...

Take a look at this pic taken from the TECORE II video. JD is coming off a rock step and taps his slider...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:55 am

I got an idea of sleeving over the ends with some slightly bigger tubing that is thick walled to add 2 inches length if needed. just to keep rocks from trying to wedge in as easy, but not as a place to hook my hi-lift. :excited: Now just to get them and bribe Mike to help with the install :mechanic: for beer??

Just saw the pic of JD. I plan to shade them to the front and that shows me why, I think my idea of extention should be short enough and if thick enough should work oout ok for taps like that.

Another thought I had with them being a bit short is, I have a 3 inch body lift, so my frame will pick up some stuff before the body gets near some things.
Last edited by Gordinho80 on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Combined posts
HARDTRAILZ

by Trail X » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:03 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Trail-Gear-Rock-Slider-Gusset-Kit-6-Leg_W0QQitemZ110263321586QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item19ac34c3f2&_trksid=p4506.m20.l1116

Worth it? I was thinking to flip it over and angle around the top of frame(body lift) and the gusset. Or just cut some gussets when i get them welded up.

The whole point of those gussets is to relieve the tensional stresses on the frame at the bottom of the slider. To put them on upside down won't really provide as much stress releif... but it can't really hurt anything.

As for the sliders, I agree that you'd probably be fine with having extra room front and rear... however, mine are 77.25" long... the 67" sliders don't seem long enough to me... you'll be leaving 10" total exposed. Below are some quick dimensions off my sliders.

8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:10 am

I have chopped the front fenders and only measure 72/73 so 6 inches max exposed. I meant the way the plate is bent to go around the bottom of frame, I would have to flip it and have the bend around the top of my frame with the lift. I plan to gusset top of tube to frame for sure and maybe add one going down for when there are 4 or 5 people standing on it to keep me from rolling over.

Looking at your pic, I will not have much room for a gusset going up with how high on the fram mine will be mounted, so I will definitely need plates welded to frame to spread the stress.
HARDTRAILZ

by bartonmd » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:38 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Looking at your pic, I will not have much room for a gusset going up with how high on the fram mine will be mounted, so I will definitely need plates welded to frame to spread the stress.

Yep... Plates welded top to bottom, and around the bottom (probably), then weld the tubes at the top, and the gussets at the bottom, in tension...

ETA: BTW, it won't take much bribing to get me to do them...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Philberto » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:32 pm

So if your sliders are 77.25" James, then would I be :safe: dimensionally if I bought the 78" ones? I'm not bothered by having to modify them slightly. :shoot:
Last edited by Philberto on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:50 pm

Philberto wrote:So if your sliders are 77.25" James, then would I be :safe: dimensionally if I bought the 78" ones? I'm not bothered by having to modify them slightly. :shoot:

I see no problem with an extra .75" somewhere... plus you can always cut it down a bit and weld a new cap in there if you forsee an issue.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by The Roadie » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:55 pm

JamesDowning wrote:I see no problem with an extra .75" somewhere...
That's what SHE said..... :lol:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:42 am

I am under the impression that AlekG and Roadies sliders are 72 inches. Correct???
HARDTRAILZ

Return to Sliders