Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Jansey86's rock sliders..

by janesy86 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:20 pm

Well today was the day that my buddy and I got my rock sliders welded up and on my TB. :woot:

I got them off eBay, originally from Trailgear.com, and they are supposed to be for a 4Runner/Tacoma. But I decided I'd try em out since I got a good deal. They are 78" in length and came with 4 legs per side that are not attached. That you must do yourself. I decided to use only 3 per side.

Now on to the pics...

Here is how they came to me.
sliders.jpg
(57.78 KiB) Downloaded 582 times

Setting them up for placement and measurements..
0926091041.jpg
(69.75 KiB) Downloaded 582 times

Tack welded and now about to fully weld the legs on.
0926091313.jpg
(104.59 KiB) Downloaded 582 times
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by janesy86 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:24 pm

One side fully welded.
0926091535.jpg
(55.33 KiB) Downloaded 580 times

Drivers side done!
0926091728.jpg
(78.41 KiB) Downloaded 580 times

Passenger side done!
0926091729c.jpg
(92.7 KiB) Downloaded 580 times

Now just need to paint them soon and put them to the test next week where I will most likely need them, as they really would have helped me before. :flex dirty:
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by The Roadie » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Did you use a plate at the frame side? Neil (my new fabricator) and Dallas (my original guy) both said that welding the mounting tubes right to the frame could cause heat changes in the metal, and possible stress cracks later. Do you have a pic of the frame end? Here's what I had while in the middle of installation:

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by janesy86 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:33 pm

I don't have any pics of that right now and too dark out but, no we did not use a plate, just did what JD did with his with the gusset to strengthen... now I am a lil' wary. :pale: I hope to not crack nothin'. :viking:
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by Gordinho80 » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:27 pm

VERY NICE!! This seems like a viable option if you want to save a few bucks. Have you at least tested jacking up the truck at the slider?
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by MrSmithsTB » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:46 pm

All I can say is thank you. This mod has gone from the tentative to definite list all because I can buy the parts prefab... :excited: :excited:
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by bgwolfpack » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:50 pm

Wow those are nice :!: What color are you painting them? Maybe you should get them chromed :raspberry: NICE
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by teebes » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:46 pm

Very nice, indeed! Glad these worked out.

Now for those without sliders, watcha waiting for :viking: :poke: :finger:
teebes
Founder

Name: Teebes
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by janesy86 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:35 pm

Gordinho80 wrote:VERY NICE!! This seems like a viable option if you want to save a few bucks. Have you at least tested jacking up the truck at the slider?

Thanks, and yea they were a steal compared to getting custom made. And it helped out a lot that my buddy has a full shop and loves to do this stuff, so no extra cost there either, just some beverages.. :cheers:

And no haven't jacked it up yet with them. It was getting late by the time we finished them up and I had to get out of there and back home to go out for a bday partay.. :friday: I'll have more next weekend on them as I'm painting tomorrow, and will be most likely using them on the trail. :flex dirty:

bgwolfpack wrote:Wow those are nice :!: What color are you painting them? Maybe you should get them chromed :raspberry: NICE

Haha. No chrome for me. :shoot: Painting them black tomorrow, but almost thinking just doing a clear coat on top of the raw metal. :scratch:

teebes wrote:Very nice, indeed! Glad these worked out.

Now for those without sliders, watcha waiting for :viking: :poke: :finger:

Thanks man! Couldn't be happier with them right now. And left my wallet a lil' thicker so I can do some more things to it!
:excited:
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by The Roadie » Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:51 pm

For jacking up a vehicle by the sliders, you can't beat the WabFab adapter:

From my OS posting of March, 2007:

A neat gadget my daughter got me for my birthday. One problem with HiLift jacks is that they can lift one wheel at a time, from the side of the vehicle, in case you're stuck or high-centered. But that's inefficient. When you have jackable rock sliders capable of carrying half the weight of the vehicle, you could put the HiLift on them, but they tend to slip. (Don't try this with normal tube steps).

So Wabfab (http://wabfab.org/ not .com) makes this neat little adapter to bolt onto your HiLift.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by janesy86 » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:43 pm

Yea that's a nice looking gadget there. I'll plan on pickin' one of those up soon. I plan on pickin' up my own Hi Lift jack soon as well.
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by Gordinho80 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:26 am

When you can, take some more pics. Showing how it's welded to the frame, how it lines up with the frame, maybe one with the door open...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by Trail X » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:16 am

Aren't they mounted inside out?

:poke:

Aren't they supposed to look like this?

As for worry about the weld-points... I wouldn't worry. This is a picture of the way mine were welded. We did have a slight issue at one point, where there was just a bit too much of a gap, but he was able to fill it in, it just didn't look as pretty.

It's held up extremely well... haven't noticed any issues with where they were welded, I think because we welded where the frame was reinforced (according to the fab guy). I think the gusset adds a ton of strength too. Before adding the gusset, the slider would vibrate if you hit it... once the reinforcement was added, no vibrations at all... and even with the static weight of the entire side of the vehicle, it only bends maybe 1/4".

8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Gordinho80 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:19 am

Wow, I missed that. Nice catch, JD.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by janesy86 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:21 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Aren't they mounted inside out?

:poke:

Aren't they supposed to look like this?

As for worry about the weld-points... I wouldn't worry. This is a picture of the way mine were welded. We did have a slight issue at one point, where there was just a bit too much of a gap, but he was able to fill it in, it just didn't look as pretty.

It's held up extremely well... haven't noticed any issues with where they were welded, I think because we welded where the frame was reinforced (according to the fab guy). I think the gusset adds a ton of strength too. Before adding the gusset, the slider would vibrate if you hit it... once the reinforcement was added, no vibrations at all... and even with the static weight of the entire side of the vehicle, it only bends maybe 1/4".

Yep they are mounted inside out...that was what I was saying from the start as what I was thinking bout doing. I wanted to keep my rocker panel like you but couldn't if they were mounted like that. With them being like this it's kinda like yours, just not as pretty. :finger:

Haha, but mine are mounted just like JD's as well, with no scab plate just a gusset on the top of each leg. I also went wtih the same spacing between the legs. I'm not worried abut their strength either, they should do just fine..

I'll try to get some pics soon, prob this coming weekend once I put it back on the lift so I can get better pics with a good camera and not my cell.
Build Thread
janesy86
Veteran

by Gordinho80 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:24 pm

James has his mounted with the rocker panels still in place...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by Trail X » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:54 pm

Ahh, I see... intentional! That's good. I didn't want to point it out and then for you do be like... :wallbash:

My only worry there, is that you kinda lose protection where you need it most. I find 75% of my scrapes and hits are within that first 1' of tubing. With the way yours is bent upward, it may allow the rocker plastic to be the lowest point, and not the metal. I'll be interested to see how it does when you come down off a rock ledge. May work fine... dunno.

Do you have a hi-lift? If so, you'll have to show us a picture with it lifting a side. That's the ultimate test! :drive:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Gordinho80 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:40 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Ahh, I see... intentional! That's good. I didn't want to point it out and then for you do be like... :wallbash:

My only worry there, is that you kinda lose protection where you need it most. I find 75% of my scrapes and hits are within that first 1' of tubing. With the way yours is bent upward, it may allow the rocker plastic to be the lowest point, and not the metal. I'll be interested to see how it does when you come down off a rock ledge. May work fine... dunno.

Do you have a hi-lift? If so, you'll have to show us a picture with it lifting a side. That's the ultimate test! :drive:

I experienced both of these scenarios first hand at TECORE II. First, while coming down the rock steps, James tapped his slider coming down. You can see it happening in Frank's video. Day 2, during the Recovery Demonstration that James was doing, he jacked up the passenger side of his rig using his hi-lift and his slider.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by Saxis » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:51 pm

What exactly on the rocker panel would get in the way if they were mounted right-side out? I'll eventually be looking for some to put on my Denali. I took the running boards off, and my rocker panel is a bit different than the TrailVoys without running boards. The sections closest to the tires expose some of the running board mounting surface. Looks kind of odd and bare, but I wonder if this is where you had problems with the rocker panel in the way of your sliders? I'll see if I can attach a pic...
Attachments
Rocker.jpg
Close-up of front rocker...
(99.26 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
DenaliNowsmall.JPG
Side view...
(45.58 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Saxis
Trail-Blazer

Name: Jesse

by NeilageInc » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:41 pm

I'm sure your rock sliders are seeing a good amount of abuse but they are not going to crack the frame on the first try. If they did that then you have a serious problem. What you are doing is causing unneeded stress over a period of time and that will cause it to crack. What the plate over the frame does is spreads the load over a broader range. Since you guys already have it done this way I would only recommend that you add more gussets. I would have one on the left and right of each tube as well as were you have it now on the top. That's my advice, but everyone is different. Thanks Neil.
NEILAGEINC.com
NeilageInc

Name: Neil Talmadge

Next

Return to Sliders