Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

How to upgrade to EXT/SS Brake Upgrade

If its been completed, and doesn't fit into another category, stick it here.
Forum rules
Threads must fully document the modification with pictures and verbiage in the first post.
Threads that do not meet this criteria may be moved or deleted.

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:05 am

The inner bore difference is intriguing.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by mikekey » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:07 am

If what I recall from around here they're the same all by like a few mm. Looks like the bore difference is your indicator. My main guess is that the difference is performance related, the same reason we have aluminum calipers and the SS's had iron calipers. But getting legit numbers would be a nice thing to know. Since everything is currently just base on what we all read somewhere else without an actual technical source.

Auto Parts stores might have different stock numbers for the same part btw. So it's not always 100%.

I have found that some of the ebay sellers are just checking all the boxes and are in fact not selling SS rotors or maybe even EXT rotors. I saw a few where the same set said if fit Trailblazer and Trailblazer EXT, Trailblazer SS, like WTF? I just had this problem with the G8 where a seller had listed G8, G8 GXP but the GXP has 16 inch brembos and he infact sold me 14inch G8 rotors and I had to send them back. The seller just thought GXP was a trim option.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Aries » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Fitting 16x7.5 OEM H3 wheels with on my EXT

I had to do some grinding on the caliber to get the wheels to roll freely but I ended up with 3/16 to 1/4 inch clearance. Drove 75 miles today without any issues.
Before and After pics
Attachments
TB brk cal 01.JPG
TB brl cal 02.JPG
Aries
Trail-Blazer

Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD

by ErikSS » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:46 pm

Looks good man! How much do you think you took off?
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Moots1288 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Seeing that I believe with the 4.5 backspacing.. I might be able to pull it off with no grinding. My wheels are 16x8... maybe, just maybe.
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by JoeyV » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:23 am

Boy I hate to admit my f-ups, but I really screwed up hard when attempting to follow this guide and slightly modify it.
I not only intended to upgrade to the larger sized rotors, but also wanted to upgrade to newer style caliper's. I ended up ordering a set of ACDelco loaded caliper's, but didn't pay enough attention to this thread and wasn't very thorough when ordering the sets. This of course was after discovering the ACDelco loaded caliper's that I ordered and already painted were for an '04 EXT/XL. Sadly, the caliper's and brackets were somewhat identical to the ones I had on my SWB LT and would in no way fit over the larger EXT/XL rotors. The only thing I can figure is the caliper bracket mounting locations on the steering knuckles must be located higher on the 2002-04 EXT/XL Trailvoys in order to accompany a larger rotor. Maybe someone else can confirm this?

I finally found a local salvage yard that had 06+ EXT caliper assemblies for $35 ea. and went for it. They happen to be off a new GMC Acadia which apparently are the same. Sadly, no time to clean them up and paint them. I definitely prefer the newer set-up better than the older style and only slight modifications were necessary to get them installed. Maybe I'll post up the ACDelco sets in the classified section.
JoeyV
Cruiser

Name: Joe
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Rickalicka18 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 5:54 pm

Was reading this thread and I just have one question. If I was going to upgrade to this ext version kit from powerstop: http://www.carid.com/2006-chevy-trailbl ... 95184.html

Would I need any other parts to upgrade to the ext rotors? or would getting the COMPLETE kit with rotors, brake pads, and calipers (which is $875 all together) be all I need to upgrade to the ext brakes?
Rickalicka18
Addict

Name: Ricky lacombe

by moose1 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:19 pm

You need a bigger caliper bracket. I think I got mine from rockauto.
moose1
Off-Roader

Name: kevin
Vehicle Year: 2008

by Rickalicka18 » Fri Feb 19, 2016 9:38 pm

Okay thanks!
Rickalicka18
Addict

Name: Ricky lacombe

by mikekey » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:46 pm

I apologize that this thread had broken images for so long. I updated the original post with fixed images.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Previous

Return to Completed Modifications