Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

How to upgrade to EXT/SS Brake Upgrade

If its been completed, and doesn't fit into another category, stick it here.
Forum rules
Threads must fully document the modification with pictures and verbiage in the first post.
Threads that do not meet this criteria may be moved or deleted.

by Trail X » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:25 am

Same force at a larger radius from the hub center has to make a difference. Granted, it's numerically only ~7% more stopping torque. But I could see it making a palpable difference.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:29 am

Kinda wish I needed brakes so I could more easily justify this.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by jonbo2002 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:32 am

lol thats exactly why I did mine, they were trashed and grinding to stop
jonbo2002
Addict

Name: Jon
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Gordinho80 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 11:19 am

I've had a set of EXT front rotors sitting in my garage for over a year now. My rotors have not needed replacing yet... so I too, can't justify doing this swap yet. Once these rotors are gone, or the pads, I might get the brackets and upgrade. As long as my 16" H3 wheels clear the rotor/caliper.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by mikekey » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:16 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:I am wondering if the difference you felt was actually the size or the drilled and slotted vs standard rotors. I noticed a big improvement when I went to D/S in the standard size rotors.

JamesDowning wrote:Same force at a larger radius from the hub center has to make a difference. Granted, it's numerically only ~7% more stopping torque. But I could see it making a palpable difference.

We certainly feel like it did. HARDTRAILZ might be right about the rotors, but I did purchase the best pads I could find. Which are fully ceramic. I know some think that metallic has better stopping with improved friction, I tried HAWKS SD pads previously and was not happy with them.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:32 pm

All my vehicles get ceramic and I got no reason to switch em.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by JorDaneeKey » Mon Sep 16, 2013 12:49 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Same force at a larger radius from the hub center has to make a difference. Granted, it's numerically only ~7% more stopping torque. But I could see it making a palpable difference.

It does, mostly at higher speeds (above 45mph). There is a marked difference, and I'm confident that the rig will stop when I need it to now. Irony is the day after we got the new brakes on, I had someone decide at the last minute to stop for a yellow light at 65mph. I thought for sure I would be going up over the cement median to avoid hitting them, but I was super surprised at how much grip the new brakes had compared to the smaller ones, which were less than a year old.
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee

by bartonmd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 1:30 pm

Most are aware that the SWB 5.3L gets the EXT/SS brakes, as well. Some have heard this already, but doing a panic stop from 65mph with a 6500# trailer behind mine, I actually turned the stock tires on the wheels. Like, tires were out of balance the rest of the way home, there was little rubber shavings around the rim, and the dent in the tire from the wheel weight was ~180 degrees away from where the wheel weight was located on the wheel.

Mike
bartonmd

Vehicle Year: 2007

by Blazintrails03 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:38 pm

mikekey wrote:The pads are slightly larger too I noticed. However you are correct that is all that is different.

I noticed one post says pads are the same as SWB but another post says your pads were bigger. Is this because you said you got the best pads you could so maybe they are just beefed up? Long story short while doing this you can just get brackets, bolts, and rotors to relocate your loaded caliber (considering good pads) to compensate for the larger rotor?
The unofficial hat guy of ORTB viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4325

BUILD THREAD: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5377&p=106362#p106362
Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

Name: Bobby

by TBYODA » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:11 pm

bartonmd wrote:Most are aware that the SWB 5.3L gets the EXT/SS brakes, as well. Some have heard this already, but doing a panic stop from 65mph with a 6500# trailer behind mine, I actually turned the stock tires on the wheels. Like, tires were out of balance the rest of the way home, there was little rubber shavings around the rim, and the dent in the tire from the wheel weight was ~180 degrees away from where the wheel weight was located on the wheel.

Mike

Had to read this twice for it sink in did not think that would be possible, WOW. I would have thought the tires would have lost enough friction to skid first. Mike I bet you did a double take when you figured out what was wrong at time. ;)
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by mikekey » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:28 pm

Blazintrails03 wrote:I noticed one post says pads are the same as SWB but another post says your pads were bigger. Is this because you said you got the best pads you could so maybe they are just beefed up? Long story short while doing this you can just get brackets, bolts, and rotors to relocate your loaded caliber (considering good pads) to compensate for the larger rotor?

Not a post that I wrote. I purchased a pad & rotor kit. The pads for the EXT/SS are slightly larger in height and length. I should of taken a picture. So you will in fact want to upgrade your pads.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by Blazintrails03 » Mon Sep 16, 2013 4:46 pm

Oh ok. Thinks for clearing that up. Will wait til I need pads to upgrade to this then. Excellent write up too
The unofficial hat guy of ORTB viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4325

BUILD THREAD: viewtopic.php?f=74&t=5377&p=106362#p106362
Blazintrails03
Trail-Blazer

Name: Bobby

by bartonmd » Mon Sep 16, 2013 6:54 pm

TBYODA wrote:
bartonmd wrote:Most are aware that the SWB 5.3L gets the EXT/SS brakes, as well. Some have heard this already, but doing a panic stop from 65mph with a 6500# trailer behind mine, I actually turned the stock tires on the wheels. Like, tires were out of balance the rest of the way home, there was little rubber shavings around the rim, and the dent in the tire from the wheel weight was ~180 degrees away from where the wheel weight was located on the wheel.

Mike

Had to read this twice for it sink in did not think that would be possible, WOW. I would have thought the tires would have lost enough friction to skid first. Mike I bet you did a double take when you figured out what was wrong at time. ;)

Yeah, I know! Now, they were harder-compound OEM tires on the never-damaged clearcoat on the wheels, but I think what allowed it to happen was the weight transfer from the 6500# trailer adding weight to the TB, increasing traction. The ABS never kicked on, and I will say that it was the finest piece of threshold braking I've ever done. FWIW, though, drag cars do spin the tires on the wheels, on occasion.

Mike
bartonmd

Vehicle Year: 2007

by v7guy » Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:52 am

Yup, tires rotating on the wheels happen, not often on passenger vehicles on the road, but as Mike posted, given the right circumstances it'll happen. Drag cars do it, road racing cars are known to do it and I've read of it happening off-road fairly frequently as well.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by mikekey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:12 pm

I'm starting to wonder if I can fit these Camaro Brembo's in there.

mikekey
Lifer

by Moots1288 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:49 pm

mikekey wrote:I'm starting to wonder if I can fit these Camaro Brembo's in there.

Hell yeah get er done
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by jonbo2002 » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:30 pm

mikekey wrote:I'm starting to wonder if I can fit these Camaro Brembo's in there.

I don't know about you Mike but ever since switching to the SS/EXT. brakes I find it really easy to squeal the tires for about half a second before the abs kicks in. You may not be having that problem having the bigger tires though.
jonbo2002
Addict

Name: Jon

by mikekey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 2:42 pm

Nope, I don't have the problem, but I have HEAVY ARSE tires. The Nitto's weight 60lbs each not mounted.

What I know is I saw a huge improvement putting 4 pistons on the Vette in all four corners, like snap your neck stopping.

I know that the vast majority of your stopping is the front wheel, however ... why can't I improve it. Anyways, you can pick up these calipers for cheap from guys switching to the even bigger ones. So I'm still researching ideas for better stopping. Maybe it's pointless, but with a kid on the way I think about it. It would be nice to have a lifted SUV on fat tires that can stop like a car.
mikekey
Lifer

by JorDaneeKey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:07 pm

mikekey wrote:Nope, I don't have the problem, but I have HEAVY ARSE tires. The Nitto's weight 60lbs each not mounted.

What I know is I saw a huge improvement putting 4 pistons on the Vette in all four corners, like snap your neck stopping.

I know that the vast majority of your stopping is the front wheel, however ... why can't I improve it. Anyways, you can pick up these calipers for cheap from guys switching to the even bigger ones. So I'm still researching ideas for better stopping. Maybe it's pointless, but with a kid on the way I think about it. It would be nice to have a lifted SUV on fat tires that can stop like a car.

Heck, I'd be super happy if it stopped like the GXP, but I'm sure that'd be a super expensive change.
As told by the other half: Build Thread
JorDaneeKey
Addict

Name: JorDanee

by Karo » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:23 pm

I had some similar ideas for the front brake system, but after checking the brake force on a computer controlled machine with new brake pads and new rotors in front and the rear there really was NO REASON to change the factory system. The result was more then impressive it was even better than most stock cars are.
This was not compared to high brake systems like ceramic brake systems from porsche. But the results are much better compared to most stock cars. I have tested that with a german TÜV engineer and he had really the knowledge as he is checking cars every day for the reason if they are german street legal.
Changing the caliper for a 4 or 8 piston brake caliper is possible. I really like the idea to install some brembo 4 piston calipers in the front, where could i found those calipers pictured? For which diameter rotors are these calipers made?
For reference here are some Brembo Kits, look for the prices...
http://www.maxxtech.eu/Chevy-Artikel-von-Brembo.html
Karo
Trail-Blazer

Name: Karsten

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Modifications