Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rear Cargo Organizer

If its been completed, and doesn't fit into another category, stick it here.
Forum rules
Threads must fully document the modification with pictures and verbiage in the first post.
Threads that do not meet this criteria may be moved or deleted.

by Cody_S » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Decided to go ahead and build a rear cargo organizer. The difficult part was having a box for two 12" subs (I know, I know, but I like my music in my daily driver), and having to build around them, as they take up a good bit of space. Came up with the idea to have two large compartments under the subs, and set them on a shelf.

The base of the cargo organizer:

All the wood cut to size

The outer frame:

Ended up taking off the top, had it so the subs would face back towards the rest of the trunk, but I figured if I turned them to she they were facing up, I'd have more storage room on the shelf in front of the sub box.

And the (ALMOST) finished product:

Still want to add some drawers in the bottom compartments to make everything easier to get to, and add some carpet/wallpaper/design of some sort so it doesn't just look like straight lumber.

All in all, I think it went pretty well, first time doing a big wood project Ike this, I'm really not much of a handyman lol.

The only downside is that with the sub box facing upward, it kind of kills the visibility out of the bottom of the rear window. Maybe towing mirrors are in my future lol.
Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:04 am

I got confused in your photos. You show the outer frame as a big box, but then in the almost finished product, it looks a lot smaller. Did you just do away with the top shelf or something?

As for wallpaper, if I were to do mine again, I would seriously consider the decking stuff Mario used on his fenders.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Cody_S » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:10 am

The outer frame pic was taken from a lot further away, and didn't have the middle shelves in it yet. But yeah, I ended up not putting the top on. Still gonna fiddle around with it and see what I want to do with it.
Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

by Trail X » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:11 am

I'd at least cap the top left and top right. Otherwise they look rather flimsy. What are those skinny slots for?
Trail X
Founder

by bartonmd » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:56 am

IMO, just me, but I'd personally take of the sides, above the first level. You're losing a TON of storage space by closing them off from the now-unused sides by the windows.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:58 am

Cody_S wrote:...a box for two 12" subs (I know, I know, but I like my music in my daily driver), ...
IMHO, the Tread Lightly principles also apply to noise intrusion on the trails, which is why after wasting $400 on aftermarket mufflers I went back to a quieter-than-OEM Wagner. And carrying subs on trail rides just mystifies me. But at least you know I'd be forced to make a comment. Good for ya. :lurk:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by NC_IslandRunner » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:16 am

The Roadie wrote:
Cody_S wrote:...a box for two 12" subs (I know, I know, but I like my music in my daily driver), ...
IMHO, the Tread Lightly principles also apply to noise intrusion on the trails, which is why after wasting $400 on aftermarket mufflers I went back to a quieter-than-OEM Wagner. And carrying subs on trail rides just mystifies me. But at least you know I'd be forced to make a comment. Good for ya. :lurk:

X's-2 I can't afford to lose the cargo space, but he may not camp much.
IF THE FISH STOP BITING... HUNT FOR SHELLS!!!
NC_IslandRunner

Name: Rory
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Trail X » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:18 am

He'll learn, and next time he buys a vehicle, he'll opt for the premium audio package. At least, that was something I learned from my early vehicle.
Trail X
Founder

by navigator » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:32 pm

I think my LS is pretty base but the sound system is pretty good. It even lowers the volume when you slow down because it realizes there isn't as much noise.
My only issue with it is my driver side speakers go in and out from time to time but that is an issue for another day.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Cody_S » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:41 pm

bartonmd wrote:IMO, just me, but I'd personally take of the sides, above the first level. You're losing a TON of storage space by closing them off from the now-unused sides by the windows.

Mike

That's a good point, I may end up doing that. Want to check and make sure it'll be sturdy though if I do that.

The Roadie wrote:

I don't have the sound cranked up on trail rides, in fact once I'm on the trails my music is usually off. But because most of the trail rides I go on are local, day trip type things, it's easier to leave the subs in, than worry about taking them out. And unless I'm going camping or something, which isn't really often, the subs don't rob me of too much cargo space. Also, the back seat area can hold more stuff as needed.

JamesDowning wrote:He'll learn, and next time he buys a vehicle, he'll opt for the premium audio package. At least, that was something I learned from my early vehicle.

Correct, I'll definitely be looking for a premium audio package. Though I may end up downsizing my current setup at some point. Been thinking about selling the box and one of the subs, and just running one.

Thanks for the pointers, tips, and suggestions. I'm still a newb at heart lol.
Cody_S
Trail-Blazer

Return to Completed Modifications