Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

So my usual shop was busy..

If its been completed, and doesn't fit into another category, stick it here.
Forum rules
Threads must fully document the modification with pictures and verbiage in the first post.
Threads that do not meet this criteria may be moved or deleted.

by Outlaw_99 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:40 am

I just needed one tire swapped out, and my usual shop couldn't do it that day.. So I figured while we shopped, Wal-Mart could handle a tire correct? Well it appears that my spacer is a little tight to the rim, but instead of grazing it with a sander, they use the air wrench and the lugnuts to force the rim on... Needless to say I'm riding with only 5 lugs with one of the studs broken off... It's now spending the night at my usual shop and Mark is trying to he me a replacement stud.. WM has offered to pay for the damage though..

Anyone else had issues when their normal shop was busy or it was just a task they didn't want to DIY??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Black 2002 LTZ - LiftMeister 2.5 with 1.5 Spacers - Reflex Shocks - Rimpainter.com Blackout - Wrangler AT/S 265/70/17
Outlaw_99
Cruiser

Name: J.D.
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Mudwheelin » Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:48 am

That's why I don't bring anything to any shops...I do everything my self or have a good friend who can do what I can't. The guys on this site have taught me very well.
Markmc 2.5 lift, 2"Markmc body lift. Markmc 1.5 spacers, 33" Dynapro MT's, exhaust, EMT cams, CAI, Chipped, Light Bar. T.L. Guards
Build Thread:
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2349
Mudwheelin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Christian
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Rob93 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:16 am

I would never expect Walmart to grind your studs down for clearance, however they should have stopped working on it and told you they couldn't touch it instead of forcing it on. Gotta love Walmart!
Rob93
Trail-Blazer

Name: Rob
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 2WD

by DirtyBacon04 » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:15 am

I make it VERY clear to any shop that if the maintenance requires them to remove the wheel, that they WILL NOT under any circumstance, use the impact gun to mount the wheel again. I'll watch and make sure they actually use a torque wrench. Yea, I'm that customer.
That is of course, if I dont do the maintenance myself. The only time i've taken it in is for them to turn my rotors, since I dont have a secondary mode of transportation.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by navigator » Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:34 am

the Walmart here won't touch anything out of the ordinary.
I expect if they noticed the spacers they would have put the wheel back on and told me they couldn't touch it.
I do most everything myself except tires. I don't have a machine to break the bead or balance them.
I have gone to the same shop every time for the past several years with one exception and that was WALMART and ........
It was Monday morning, our first day of VACATION. My son's jeep had run hot over the weekend and had problems that would later require a replacement engine.....
He has to work and my wife and I aren't going to let him take the TB or our van so the only thing left is my old Jeep Comanche. I gave $600 and it needed tires bad.
I figure it needed tires and my normal shop doesn't carry many tires, they have to order them. I figure I will go to Walmart and get them to throw something on.
I get there about 6:45 so I can make sure I am the 1st one in line.
The Comanche has the nice Aluminum 5 star Jeep rims on it.
My son's Cherokee has the old yucky flaking gray paint steel wheels.
I have an extra set of steel wheels so I figure I will have WM put the new tires on the steel wheels and give my son the aluminum wheels for his Jeep. I had planned to paint the Comanche a green/black camo so black steel wheels will go better than shiny aluminum anyway.

so I get there at 6:45, about 7:05 the lady comes out and asks me what I need so I tell her I want 4 new tires etc on the rims in the back etc.....
My comanche is a straight shift 4X4.
they pull it in the bay and begin working on it.
I'm the first one in, I figure they'll be done in 45 mins so I'll wait to get breakfast.
I do my shopping and get all the items we need for vacation.
At 9:30 they call me back.....
there is a problem....."sir, one of your rims is bent or something and it makes the truck jerk really bad when we did our test drive....."
I said "ugh, ok, switch them to the aluminum wheels then.."
they say "sir, we can't do that..."
I say "why not, this is a tire shop right?..."
"well we can't do it for free....."
I'm like ok, I wouldn't expect you to do it for free, how much will it be?
"$28"
I'm like, ok, do it and hurry, I'm on VACATION!
I decide I have time to go get breakfast now so I walk across the parking lot to McDonalds and eat, come back and finish reading the labels on everything in sporting goods and automotive and dust the shelves etc......
At 11:30 they call me back
"sir, your jeep is still having that same problem, we can't let you leave with it..."
"I'm like, this thing looks like crap but it drove good coming in here, let me drive it"
I drive it around and sure enough, it is jumping and squirming and all kinds of ruckus"
"I told the guy, you know a 4X4 will do that when you put it in 4WD ON PAVEMENT!"
The girl that pulled it in the bay evidently put it in 4WD instead of pulling the emergency brake, I doubt she has ever seen a 4wd lever, just the knobs and buttons.
Ughh, I was so hot, I don't plan to ever take them another vehicle, I for sure don't want them changing my oil.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Trail X » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:33 am

J.D. ... what was the issue exactly?

Sounded like your wheel spacer lip was too big for your wheel? How was this not spotted before?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:12 pm

Walmart told me yesterday they would not mount my new rims and tires because the tires were too bog at one and my rims are too expensive at the other.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle

by navigator » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:53 pm

you're rims are too expensive?
LOL
I don't know what you are running but I expect you can get them much cheaper than a set of OEM rims new :-)
I hate to talk about people but most of them are morons.
I can see the "safety" factor of not putting a tire on that is over the stock tire size as a CYA but because the rims are too expensive!
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:02 pm

She looked at them and asked how much they cost and I told her a shade under 900 for the set. She said the machine could damage them and they could not afford to replace them, so they could not do it.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by navigator » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:17 pm

LOL but you were spending what, $1k on tires?
I don't know what machines they use now but when I did tires back in the early 90's, in our little shop our machine had guards to protect nice rims.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 3:29 pm

When I did tires in late 90s we had guards too. I wasn't buying tires there. They don't carry anything I would put on my truck.
HARDTRAILZ

by v7guy » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:06 pm

I've been turned away from places when I had some custom boyd coddington wheels back in the day. I was told the same thing, the wheels are too expensive and we won't touch them because they might get damaged.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by navigator » Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:33 pm

ah, gotcha

you could run these but dang I couldn't afford them!

http://www.walmart.com/ip/BFGoodrich-Mu ... 2/10740675
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:06 pm

Overpriced plus I am going 315 70 17
HARDTRAILZ

Return to Completed Modifications