Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Herculiner meets TB (lots of pics now!)

If its been completed, and doesn't fit into another category, stick it here.
Forum rules
Threads must fully document the modification with pictures and verbiage in the first post.
Threads that do not meet this criteria may be moved or deleted.

by johnburgelin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:31 am

janesy86 wrote:Looks great man! :cheers: I'll have to take the plunge soon. Was it just a roll on kit or what??

I broke down and bought the 1 gallon roll on kit from autozone for $90 bucks if I remember. I had autozone rewards which brought it to $70. I'm sure if I shopped around I could have found it quite a bit cheaper but 1 gallon covered everything I wanted to, and I still have about a quart left. I'm also planning on covering the 16" wheels I bought as well. I just taped off around the fenders and traced the outline with a razor blade before putting the herculiner on, and followed the directions about application after that. 2 coats covered plenty. Just make sure to dab around all the deep indentations on the bumper with a brush first, just like the instructions tell you too. It was a very hot day, but it really, after everything was said and done, wasn't that difficult or time consuming.
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

Name: John
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:31 pm

How much prep did you end up needing to do? Did you have to sand into primer or just rough up the paint?
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by johnburgelin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:59 pm

fishsticks wrote:How much prep did you end up needing to do? Did you have to sand into primer or just rough up the paint?

I just took an 80 grit sanding pad and roughed up the paint. I used 80 because it was the first piece of rough paper I grabbed, I'm sure 100 or 250 would work fine, I just figured, you're never going to see this paint again so I scratched it up good. The kit comes with a glorified scotch brite pad but I just used sandpaper. I didn't sand to primer, I just made sure the whole surface was rough. To give you an idea of how much I did, and how "thorough" I was, it took me 20 minutes to sand every bit of surface I covered in Herculiner. And believe me, it's stuck on there pretty dang good. I didn't spend that much time in prep, I just gave it a quick sand down. Also, DON'T wipe the surface down after sanding with paint thinner or Xylene like they tell you to, it will smooth out the rough edges too much. I just blew it off with an air nozzle, and wiped it down with a damp rag. Let it dry for a little bit, and start dabbing it in the edges and high relief areas with a brush, then roll it on. Total actual work time, maybe an hour, total wait time, 2-3 hours, and I had my truck sitting in the sun.
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

by Philberto » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:26 pm

That. Looks. AWESOME! Next mod for me, unless I finally get that rear organizer done.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz

by johnburgelin » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:54 pm

Philberto wrote:That. Looks. AWESOME! Next mod for me, unless I finally get that rear organizer done.

Thanks Philberto, I've always seen others mods and awesome looking upgrades people have done on this forum, it really means alot that people appreciate and like what I've done to my truck. It makes me feel special, like I'm actually adding something to the forums I use so often. I hope that the next guy can improve on what I've done and the guy who painted his whole XUV in herculiner has done. I'm seriously considering painting up to the door trim with the Herculiner (like The North Face edition kinda), I was staring at my truck today imagining how cool it would look. :)
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

by janesy86 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 6:02 pm

johnburgelin wrote:I'm seriously considering painting up to the door trim with the Herculiner (like The North Face edition kinda), I was staring at my truck today imagining how cool it would look. :)

Thats what I am planning once I get to this... Should look sweet, not like it doesn't now tho, :salut: I keep looking at the pics thinking how much I need to do this! Not sure if it would be too much bedliner but I was also thinkin of the center 'raised' section of the hood as well. :scratch:
Build Thread
Back to stock, had fun while it lasted...
janesy86
Veteran

Name: Nick Janes
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by fishsticks » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:05 pm

I am so on this mod. My fender flares are beat to hell.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by Regulator1175 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:55 am

I have been reading alot about this for a while now. I am seeing some rare discussion that the Herculiner is getting tacky when it gets real hot, and in some instances is even running down a bit. I am curious if anyone has seen this problem, or can I chalk it up in my head as comments from folks who didn't properly prep or paint their truck?
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Trail X » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:02 am

When I saw ultravorx's truck, the herculiner was definitely 'tacky'... it's thick and rubbery, and when it gets hot, it kinda feels like non-sticky tar. But I don't think he had anything run.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by johnburgelin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:46 am

Regulator1175 wrote:I have been reading alot about this for a while now. I am seeing some rare discussion that the Herculiner is getting tacky when it gets real hot, and in some instances is even running down a bit. I am curious if anyone has seen this problem, or can I chalk it up in my head as comments from folks who didn't properly prep or paint their truck?

I don't know if you noticed but I've been working outside in this little heat wave we've had for the past couple days, my truck has been in the 100+ heat and direct sunlight for 9-10 hours every day and I haven't noticed any "tackiness" But the herculiner is rubbery, not sticky at all though, kind of like a couple mm thick rubber mat would feel glued directly to your car. I like it :D
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

by Regulator1175 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:37 pm

Thanks for the reply's. I have been working up a plan, but was seeing some things in my reading that was bothering me.

Stay tuned, I will be adding my name to the list of Herculined vehicles soon. :thumleft:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by MrSmithsTB » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:44 pm

Regulator1175 wrote:Thanks for the reply's. I have been working up a plan, but was seeing some things in my reading that was bothering me.

Stay tuned, I will be adding my name to the list of Herculined vehicles soon. :thumleft:

I agree. The one comment that kept bothering me was regarding the finished product. But looking at it more closely, it's easy to see that a lot of people didn't prep right and tried to spread the liner too thin. Seeing it done right makes it easy to commit to the project.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by johnburgelin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:04 pm

A little update on exactly how much a gallon kit will cover. I used the gallon for everything on my truck last week, today I decided to cover my 16" wheels that will be going on the truck soon, I had so much that I painted not only the outside but the inside of the rim too (obviously not where the tire goes or the inside face of he rim. After that I covered my friends 2004 F250 fender flares, both bumpers, and the nerf bars and I still have about a fifth or sixth of the can left. This stuff will go miles if you dab it on with a brush, which is what I did to the tires and F250, I rolled as much of my truck as I could, as the roller puts on a much thicker coat than dabbing it with a brush. So just to warn you if you get a gallon and plan to do what I did, find some other crap to cover with it, as it probably won't keep more than a month or so after you open it. That being said, I don't think you could do what I did with a roller with any less than 3 quarts and for me it was cheaper to buy the 1 gallon kit than 3 single quarts of herculiner.
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:53 pm

Seems the wheels could be a bitch to blance if that herculiner is not completely even.

Truck looks good.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by johnburgelin » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:25 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Seems the wheels could be a bitch to blance if that herculiner is not completely even.

Truck looks good.

Ya know I was a little worried about that too, but considering how little herculiner I ended up using on the wheels and how close the wheels are to the center of the hub. I think a rock stuck in my tire tread, which is much further away from the center, would make a bigger difference to the balance of the wheel than a little thickness difference in the herculiner on the wheels.
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

by staticfusion » Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:48 pm

I'd say he used good ol' paint haha.

JamesDowning wrote:
Regulator1175 wrote:Mario, looks great! How much Herculiner did it take?

Really?... it's not even that great of a photoshop.

You guys need to check your eyes.
staticfusion

by Philberto » Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:24 pm

I have a photoshop request for anybody. I'm looking to see how to make the TB look good while Herculining the area ABOVE the door moldings on the vehicle, as that's where all my striping and everything occurs. I've debated doing the whole vehicle, but just don't want to do that, and I'd much rather keep a 2-tone look to it.
Philberto
Lifer

by johnburgelin » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:43 pm

Philberto wrote:I have a photoshop request for anybody. I'm looking to see how to make the TB look good while Herculining the area ABOVE the door moldings on the vehicle, as that's where all my striping and everything occurs. I've debated doing the whole vehicle, but just don't want to do that, and I'd much rather keep a 2-tone look to it.

Do you mean up to the window? That might be pretty cool looking :)
johnburgelin
Off-Roader

by Philberto » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:48 pm

johnburgelin wrote:
Do you mean up to the window? That might be pretty cool looking :)

Yes, but I don't know how far down I want it, and I think I want to do the pillars too, because they get pretty scratched up.
Philberto
Lifer

by Trail X » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:52 pm

Philberto wrote:Yes, but I don't know how far down I want it, and I think I want to do the pillars too, because they get pretty scratched up.

Essentially the inverse of what Mario photoshopped? I dunno, that's kinda strange sounding. I have tons of pinstripes down low too.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

PreviousNext

Return to Completed Modifications