Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

MOD: Custom Tune

If its been completed, and doesn't fit into another category, stick it here.
Forum rules
Threads must fully document the modification with pictures and verbiage in the first post.
Threads that do not meet this criteria may be moved or deleted.

by SteveTB03 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:11 am

Alright so I told some people on here I would do a write up of the tune I got from a fellow member on the OS his name is Erik AKA scarabepic22 so all of the credit goes to him as he's the mastermind at tuning our rigs.

DETAILS:

Software: EFILIVE

Subject: My truck

Total cost: 200$ (100$ license, 100$ Erik's time)

WHAT WAS CHANGED

Shift firmness: 2.5 (on a PCM4LESS scale)

RPMs at idle: Stock - around 612, Tuned - 680

Shifting RPMs: From 2nd gear to 3rd he changed to 5900 from 6100 and TC lockup happens more quickly.

A/C shutoff: Stock - 8000RPMs, Tuned 3500RPMs

K&N and Exhaust: TUNED :)

Governor: Couldn't take off (didn't mess with too much)

Octane: 92

Max speed in reverse: 55MPH

Speedo: He didn't touch this but yet it fixed itself so now its about 1-2 MPH off.

And the truck doesn't stall when you want it to go forward, when you press the gas it actually speeds up almost instantaneously.

STORY

So we started out by purchasing a new license for my truck which is VIN specific which can only be used on my truck. He first pulled ALL of the data from my truck I.E. spark, shift points, RPMs, etc, etc.

He then continued to modify just about all perameters of the stock tune on my TB that came from the factory. We then flashed the PCM and connected his laptop so we could do a real driving dyno tune run to make sure he tuned it so it shifted correct etc, at this point he was logging all real time data on his laptop so we could see what the spark is and see exactly what he needed to fix. He had to smooth out the graph quite a bit to get the TB at its prime.

We found out that my TB needed a new t-stat and to be cleaned because the spark was way too high in the 2500-4800 RPM range at WOT.

After I fixed everything we tuned it some more and putting in a new t-stat got rid of just about ALL of the spark IN ALL RPM ranges.

There's probably more I missed but will add later.

Overall I'm EXTREMELY pleased with the results of this tune its a different beast of a vehicle to drive which makes it more fun to drive. With all that was done I probably saw an increase in about 20HP at the rear wheels now the power to the wheels should be about 210-215HP at the RW *THAT IS JUST AN ESTIMATE*

Ill try to get a copy of the tune from him so I can share more of what was done but no secrets can obviously be shared as it is his work and I know he doesn't want it being stolen by anybody.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Name: Steve Darras
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Zero » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:01 pm

well done!.....any chance you can post before and after screen shots of fuel tables, a/f ratios and things like that?
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by SteveTB03 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:21 pm

I probably could I don't think that's gonna hurt anything. Erik is on an island having fun right now but next time I talk to him ill ask him for the tune.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

by Zero » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:38 am

Much thanx brother!

O and 1 more question.....why did he use EFI live over hp tunners?
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by SteveTB03 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 am

He uses EFILIVE because he is a primary beta tester for them.

And its also because efilive has things that HPtuners doesn't have and vice versa, efilive also let's you try their product out and gives you more than "buy it and you'll find out what its like and what we have" like HPtuners does to you.

Now don't get me wrong he's going to buy HPtuners later on so he can have what efilive doesn't cover, like certain perameters, and like P10 properties.
Go Big & Go Broke
SteveTB03
Addict

Return to Completed Modifications