Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

hum in right front

Something not working right?

by madmanvillain » Mon May 10, 2010 1:53 am

i have a hum in the right front...i quickly checked to see if there was any play with that tire and felt none...its a constant hum that changes with speed.
i am not lifted
i have stock tire size
front sway bar disconnected but i had the hum before then
changing it to 4hi or a4wd does not change the sound but it was while moving down the road so im not 100% sure if its engaging...ill check that tomorrow morning

the hum does go away if i make a right turn but does not get worse if i make a left

im gunna take a good look at everything including making sure my 4wd is engaging tomorrow to see whats up...just looking to see if there are any other ideas on what it is....
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

Name: mmv
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Zero » Mon May 10, 2010 8:58 am

Sounds to me like a bad wheel bearing. The tell tale sign is the fact that it gets quiet when turning one way, and noisy when turning the other way.

Partstrain.com had the best price for wheelbearings when I had to replace mine not long ago. DONT get the china ones on ebay.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Mon May 10, 2010 9:09 am

X2 - Wheel bearing.

For me, when the weight shifted to the bad bearing (outside of the turn) the bearing went silent. My understanding is that is not always the case. My mechanic friend said he normally raises a vehicle off the ground and turns the wheels independently to determine the bad bearing. Sorry I can't offer more.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Mon May 10, 2010 9:44 am

Agreed with all posted before, plus an observation that wheels spun while in the air are stressed in different places than ones with the vehicle's weight on them. If the non-rotating part of the bearing race is damaged, the one at the bottom of the bearing, the stress of a hanging tire is off it. Sometimes you can only feel or hear grinding when the vehicle's weight is on it, since wheels by themselves weigh a lot less.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by madmanvillain » Mon May 10, 2010 10:25 pm

wow....so....we are alllll wrong...and im an idiot...

figured out i got the hum shortly after i rotated and checked my tire pressure. all of my tires were about 10psi low so i pumped them up to 42psi, 2psi lower than my max. i noticed the tread on my front right tire today was worn more in the middle than the outside. checked my pressure today with two different gages and they were all about 10 over...fixed the pressure and the noise is almost all gone...just a little left from the odd wear...dur da dur....
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

by madmanvillain » Tue May 25, 2010 1:56 am

well...it didnt go away...is still there...just got a little better for a bit...back and as of today has another odd rattle every now and then...driving as little as possible this week and then driving it up to my parents for the long weekend to look at it with my pops...

looking under it today i noticed a decent gouge about 1/4 in outside where the break pads rub the disks...this might be another possibility...i dont know...
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

by Zero » Tue May 25, 2010 7:58 am

madmanvillain wrote:
looking under it today i noticed a decent gouge about 1/4 in outside where the break pads rub the disks...this might be another possibility...i dont know...

I dont understand what you wrote??????? You mean there is a gouge in your rotor? Or your tire? Please check your post and clarify for us.

Also without pics to see what you are looking at we cant help much.
Zero
Veteran

by madmanvillain » Tue May 25, 2010 10:59 am

yep...rotor not tire...and ill see if i can get some photos when i dig into it next
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

by Zero » Tue May 25, 2010 11:08 am

If there is a chunk missing from your rotor you may have a bigger problem to address. DO you know what you could have done to damage the rotor like that?
Zero
Veteran

by madmanvillain » Wed May 26, 2010 11:31 am

not a chunk...a gouge worn in around the rotor
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

by Zero » Wed May 26, 2010 1:45 pm

still waiting for a pic, cant do anything without a pic.
Zero
Veteran

by madmanvillain » Thu May 27, 2010 12:54 am

i wake up at 11 and work nights...gimme a little slack :finger: im jumping under there in the morning to reconnect my sway bar and look around some more
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

by madmanvillain » Mon May 31, 2010 10:22 pm

well...i forgot my camera at home this weekend so there arnt any photos...it was a wheel bearing it was just odd to me that there was no slop in the wheel...120 bucks and a shiny new wheel bearing later we are all good :drive: ..the gouge around my disk looks more like something got caught between that and the dust shield but its all old and not too deep...no issue there...

side note: i tend to over think things if i cant get into something for real...i live in a city with on street parking and limited tools...if i cant tear into it i start thinking stupid things...ignore/sort out what you need to :gimp:
madmanvillain
Off-Roader

Return to Troubleshooting