Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Front Passenger Axle Coming Out

Something not working right?

by intensenerd » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:58 pm

So when I lifted my truck up to do the oil change today, I noticed my passenger axle looked "odd" I guess is the best way to describe it.

It looks as though the axle has come out by about an inch or so. I tested the 4WD and sure enough, the xfer case is engaging, but the wheel is not turning.

I have the standard 3" lift on it, I've heard that I may need to get longer axles for the front end. Is that even a thing? I've not seen that ever. Anyhow. Could the lift kit cause my front axle to break like that? Like it extended the parts out too much?
intensenerd

Name: Bradley
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by hilljb » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:04 pm

I don't know about getting a longer axle, so perhaps someone else can speak to that.

But, with a 3" lift, you're definitely going to be putting a lot more stress on the axle. It isn't so much that it's extended more, but the angle that it forces the axle to be placed in.

Since I lifted my truck four or so years ago, I've replaced the CV axles three times. I did have one last year that bound up and the momentum of the truck just destroyed it, to the point that the only thing holding it together was the rubber boots. The worst part about that one was that I needed a hydraulic press to push it out of the disconnect. (And bonus: I got to rebuild the disconnect.) It sounds like you're not having that problem at least.

The Detroit axles last longer if you can find them.
hilljb

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:44 am

There are no longer axles.

Sounds like it was not fully seated as they do not tend to pop out.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Troubleshooting