Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Troubleshooting help - Hum from front left wheel

Something not working right?

by bhoglan » Wed May 11, 2016 9:10 pm

Hi all,

I've got an '03 TB LTZ. I love my little truck but I'm afraid he's got a slight illness.

What I'm noticing is when I turn right (only right) and take a corner while accelerating or while at a reasonable speed, I'll get a light but noticeable "hum". I'm not quite sure how to accurately describe the noise other than to call it a hum. It only happens while turning right. I don't notice any other symptoms than that. The truck drives fine and doesn't have any ticks or knocks or other bad noises. I'm just trying to determine what might need replacement.

My thoughts were a wheel bearing or a CV joint. What do you folks think?

Thanks!
Brian
bhoglan
Cruiser

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by mason10198 » Wed May 11, 2016 9:17 pm

Definitely sounds like a wheel hub bearing.

Sent from Tapatalk
mason10198

Name: Mason
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TBYODA » Thu May 12, 2016 2:42 pm

Yep I agree with Mason. I had something going on up front and had to swap in my stock tire's and rims to hear my right side wheel hub making noise over my MT tire's. :lol: Highly suggest you buy two hubs as I bet the other is not far off. I just did this and is real easy besides the tire it's like 8 nuts/bolts. The CV axle nut will the hardest if it never has been removed before.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by bhoglan » Thu May 12, 2016 3:57 pm

Got it. Thanks for the feedback. The video showing the hub replacement looks straightforward and easy enough for an idiot like myself. In your opinion, since I'm going to have that off already would it be advisable to throw new CV axle assemblies on there too?

Thanks!
Brian
bhoglan
Cruiser

Name: Brian
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by hilljb » Fri May 13, 2016 3:01 am

Probably a good idea if you think they're in need of replacement. The CV axle isn't too much more work, but you'll also need to get the hub knuckle off (have a pickle fork?) and pop the axle out (have a good pry bar?). Assuming that all goes smoothly, it'd be a good opportunity to do the job.
hilljb

Name: Jason
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Troubleshooting