Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Tar/Grease/Buildup in Brake Booster Vacuum Line??

Something not working right?

by HawkeyeC25 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:06 pm

Hey guys! I'm in the process of installing a vacuum assisted brake system and needed to put some fittings in the vacuum line to the brake booster. When I cut into the vacuum line, it was about 1/3 full of this thick black/brown tar that was settled at the bottom of the line running the entire length. It didn't look like it got past the check valve at the booster and the valve is still functioning.

I'm obviously going to either clean the hose or replace it, but I'm just wondering if anyone has ever see this before?
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HawkeyeC25 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:23 pm

Here's a pic...
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:05 pm

I have not, I kinda want to check mine now. At a guess I'm going to say it's from the PVC system? I'm really not sure, but I know my 5.3 was losing a ton of oil between changes before I had the DOD disabled.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HawkeyeC25 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:35 pm

Turns out I made the cut in the worst possible spot (most blockage). This happened to be the lowest spot where everything settled. I made another cut further up and it wasn't nearly as bad. There was nothing up by the booster valve and nothing at the engine side. I cleaned everything out with carb cleaner and a screw driver. Should be good to go!
Build Thread
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

by Jrgunn5150 » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:55 pm

HawkeyeC25 wrote:Turns out I made the cut in the worst possible spot (most blockage). This happened to be the lowest spot where everything settled. I made another cut further up and it wasn't nearly as bad. There was nothing up by the booster valve and nothing at the engine side. I cleaned everything out with carb cleaner and a screw driver. Should be good to go!

Cool beans, I think that's what the little cloth thing in the booster is for, to catch that crap.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HawkeyeC25 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:23 pm

Not sure what the cloth thing is... I've never had a booster apart. But I do know if it made it's way into the check valve just a couple inches down, I'm sure it would have clogged that up and severely reduced any brake assist at higher throttles. Makes it hard to rally :P
Build Thread
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Return to Troubleshooting