Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

I'm a troll of the forums in need of help...

Something not working right?

by Kazanjion » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:31 am

Aloha guys and gals. I'm leaving my island soon and need to get my 02 Envoy up to snuff. And I'm running into a issue with the front passenger side wheel shuddering after hitting a medium to large bump in the road. I can stop the vehicle and start driving again and the issue relents until the next instance. There isn't any bearing growl or anything and when the problem isn't happening everything is just fine also the brakes are brand new. Has anyone experienced this? Any input is greatly appreciated.
Kazanjion

Name: Zach
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Jrgunn5150 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:02 am

It sounds like you're in need of some basic trouble shooting.

Start by having someone twist the wheel back and forth with the truck parked, check for anything obviously loose. Then jack it up with the wheel on it, with it safely supported, using the tire for leverage, pry on the tire and see if you can see anything loose or wobbly. Check at the 12 and 6, and 3 and 9 o'clock positions.

With all that said, it sounds like a balljoint, but still, dont just fire the parts shotgun at it lol
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by v7guy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:51 am

I think the shotgun approach is exactly whats needed! Moar parts! Replace everything!
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Jrgunn5150 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:00 pm

v7guy wrote:I think the shotgun approach is exactly whats needed! Moar parts! Replace everything!

A shop just did that to my grandmother. I try to be a nice guy, but at the end of the day, I am a 6'5 240 lb man... They refunded most of her money lol
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by navigator » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:11 pm

yeah, I would guess balljoint or tie rod end but like JR said, get some help and do a visual.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Kazanjion » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:21 pm

Morning gentlemen. I found a couple of things upon further inspection. One being the lower control arm bushing is kinda gone on vacation somewhere down the line... And I do have a slight amount of lateral play in my hub assembly. So between the two..... And I would really like to avoid the parts shotgun as my wallet is out of buckshot! I'll report back what I find. mahalo!
Kazanjion

Name: Zach
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by v7guy » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:20 pm

Well in all honesty you probably found the majority of the issue there, both the hub and the bushings will let the wheel wiggle about, if you can move things with your hands it's moving significantly more with the weight of the vehicle pushing it around.

Sounds like it's time to replace hubs and at least the bushings.

Hubs are extremely easy to do, maybe a half hour or forty five minutes a side, the bushings are a bit more involved. Most guys just get whole new A arms with the new ball joint and bushings already installed. You can replace just the bushings and ball joints, but for the labor involved it's not really worth it. I would personally stay away from mevotech replacements, I've seen several instances of them not holding up more than about a year, bushings and balljoints shot and one of em we had to grind flashing off the casting on install to get the bolt through one of the holes.

It would be in your best interest to replace both sides, typically if one is going the other isn't far behind.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Jrgunn5150 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 2:32 pm

v7guy wrote:Well in all honesty you probably found the majority of the issue there, both the hub and the bushings will let the wheel wiggle about, if you can move things with your hands it's moving significantly more with the weight of the vehicle pushing it around.

Sounds like it's time to replace hubs and at least the bushings.

Hubs are extremely easy to do, maybe a half hour or forty five minutes a side, the bushings are a bit more involved. Most guys just get whole new A arms with the new ball joint and bushings already installed. You can replace just the bushings and ball joints, but for the labor involved it's not really worth it. I would personally stay away from mevotech replacements, I've seen several instances of them not holding up more than about a year, bushings and balljoints shot and one of em we had to grind flashing off the casting on install to get the bolt through one of the holes.

It would be in your best interest to replace both sides, typically if one is going the other isn't far behind.

Agreed, I would probably just get arms and be done with it... Essentially that IS the parts shotgun lol, unfortunate. Good luck! :shoot:
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Return to Troubleshooting