Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

4.10 upgrade problems

Something not working right?

by 05Trailr » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:15 pm

Like it says, I have an 05 2wd 4.2L came stock with 3.42s . I with 34s it just wasn't working, so I found a complete rearend with 4.10s and PCMofNC do there deal, put it in and test drove and saw right away it was awesome, then the ABS & BRAKE lights came on the cluster , also the cruse control will not even try to work. I went by 2 local GM dealers to see if they could do a relearn or whatever and tell it it had 4.10 gears, well they almost freaked out on me saying that it was illegal !! haha and the GMC dealer said even if it wasn't "illegal" they probably wouldn't be able to do it because it was a chevy and not a GMC ! So at this point I'm just dumbfounded by the excuses I was getting....so if anyone could point me in the right direction please let me know. Thanks in advance!
05Trailr

Name: Tyler
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 2WD w/ Limited Slip

by Diacom » Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:54 pm

Sounds like both of the local dealers are probably not places you would want to return to. There is another member with a file or a link for 4.10 gears but it is for a 4wd. I am not sure if that will matter or not in this case, but it might be a step in the right direction.

It seems odd that the cruise does not work however. I have 4.56 in mine from 3.73's and the cruise works fine as long as the Speedo reads over 25mph. And I do have the ABS & Brake lights come on. I pull up on the Ebrake handle one click then release to get rid of the ding and just deal with the lights for now.

I'd try for a non local dealer and see if maybe they are more willing to help you out.
Diacom
Addict

Name: Noel
Vehicle Year: 2003
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:50 am

Shadowdrgn (or a spelling similar to that) has a file programmed with 4.10 gears that may work for you. You just need access to commercial programming software.

Mine didn't want to let the cruise control work either. The trick is just to pull the J fuse for the ABS module in the hood fuse block. Your ABS won't work anymore, but it isn't going to anyways with the swap. It makes the cruise work again and also gets rid of the annoying ding.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by bartonmd » Wed Oct 29, 2014 8:54 am

So glad I have an '07...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:29 am

bartonmd wrote:So glad I have an '07...

Mike

As I am to have an 06
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by v7guy » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:56 pm

IIRC in some cases pcmofNC has been able to rectify the issue, but not always, it seems to be a crap shoot and there's debate as to why it works sometimes but doesn't others. Push comes to shove you should be able to find an 05 pcm that came with 4.10s and go that route.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Troubleshooting