Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Left turn signal

Something not working right?

by stonetrail » Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:02 pm

When I use my left turn signal my hazard lights come on it dosent happen every time but one out of three it will. Has anyone else experienced this i cant figure it out?
:viking: Chug-a-lug! :flex dirty:
stonetrail
Cruiser

Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:43 pm

My GUESS would be that a wire has gotten rubbed through and may be shorting or arcing to another causing this.

I would take the bottom of column off...pretty easy...and flip the lever and see if anything is moving.

Or it could be something in the connection.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by The Roadie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:06 pm

The hazard switch control line is also adjacent to the left turn signal control line at the flasher module, which is the actual electronic control module that handles the flashing. The wire insulation problem might also be near the flasher module or in the harness between the stalk and the module. The module is above the driver's feet - follow the clicking noise to find it. To troubleshoot it functionally, wait until it messes up, then bang the steering wheel area, or kick under the dashboard, and see if one or the other fixes it more reliably.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:17 pm

The Roadie wrote:The hazard switch control line is also adjacent to the left turn signal control line at the flasher module, which is the actual electronic control module that handles the flashing. The wire insulation problem might also be near the flasher module or in the harness between the stalk and the module. The module is above the driver's feet - follow the clicking noise to find it. To troubleshoot it functionally, wait until it messes up, then bang the steering wheel area, or kick under the dashboard, and see if one or the other fixes it more reliably.

Hit it or Kick it. :lol:

Makes sense but also made me chuckle.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bgwolfpack » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:20 pm

The Roadie wrote:The hazard switch control line is also adjacent to the left turn signal control line at the flasher module, which is the actual electronic control module that handles the flashing. The wire insulation problem might also be near the flasher module or in the harness between the stalk and the module. The module is above the driver's feet - follow the clicking noise to find it. To troubleshoot it functionally, wait until it messes up, then bang the steering wheel area, or kick under the dashboard, and see if one or the other fixes it more reliably.

OMG. My sides hurt.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by The Roadie » Tue Dec 08, 2009 4:47 pm

Want me to Visio that up in a flowchart? :coffee:

I have a great one on paper that includes a decision box: "Did anybody see you break it?" :D
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by stonetrail » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:31 pm

Alright thanks I'll check the wires and such and if that dosn't work I've got a good selection of hammers to try.
:viking: Chug-a-lug! :flex dirty:
stonetrail
Cruiser

Vehicle Year: 2003

Return to Troubleshooting