Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

No reverse lights

Something not working right?

by Hillbillybonez » Thu Jun 19, 2014 8:22 am

Ok, I did the search on the forum, I checked everything that yall had posted to others to check and they still will not work. I check the connections for the lights, replaced bulbs, checked fuses under the hood and in the fuse box under the back seat, when i use the key fob to lock or un-lock the tb the back up lights work. am I missing anything else that this could be? I asked the guys at Auto zone and they said the PNS could be the problem? Im not that technical with my tb like 99% of yall are but Im learning so any help would be appreciated.
Hillbillybonez

Name: Eric Ridenour
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Eredin » Thu Jun 19, 2014 9:17 am

It would seem the PCM actually controls the gear indication and then sends this to the BCM, instead of having a typical reverse switch like older cars. It also appears that #32 fuse in the rear fuse box is normally the culprit. Easiest way to check to see if the PCM is getting correct signal, would be to put it in Reverse and then see if your gear selection indicator reports the same. If not, then your gear selection indicator may be going out.
1988 Pontiac GTA WS6 - LSX Swap

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT
2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT

Build Thread
Eredin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:01 am

The fuse and lamps can't be the problem if the lamps flash with the keyfob. So it's pretty clear the PCM isn't getting the signal from the switch on the side of the transmission that reverse gear has been selected. And as you note, the PRNDL indicator on the gauge cluster won't be displaying "R" and that's the clue to look for.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Hillbillybonez » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:08 pm

Ok I check to see when I put it in reverse if the p/r/d would light up and it didn't, so I guess replacing that will fix my issue? Any help on what the parts called so I can replace it? Thanks in advance
Hillbillybonez

by The Roadie » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:39 pm

PRNDL switch. Drivers side of the transmission where the shift cable goes.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Hillbillybonez » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:58 pm

The Roadie wrote:PRNDL switch. Drivers side of the transmission where the shift cable goes.

SWEET thanks man, yall have been a huge help :cheers:
Hillbillybonez

by Hillbillybonez » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:43 pm

Ok, well here goes..... After buying the PNL switch, I decided to take the day off last week and finish a few projects Ive been working on with the TB...

Its Now Tuesday of the next week and my Tb is back up and running. The PNL switch was a breeze, open said box, Blah Blah Blah..... then it happened, the truck its self Just QUIT, wouldnt start wouldnt go in any gear but park. I changed the solenoid for the shifter, the brake light switch, checked fuses till I was ready to take the 45 to it... So I call my cousin who owns a garage/towing company, to come and get it to take it to his shop. he runs a few test, BADDA BING, seems we have no power to it. so we run down wires, fuses ETc to see whats goin on with it. seems MR big fingers had snapped a few wires off when he plugged back in the plug to the new PNL switch. A Freakin' Very expensive mistake, 40 min drive to the chevy dealership, because we dont have an O rielys here and Advanced and autozone doesn't carry this 7 pin plug, and 150$ later ( and two days for it to be shipped from Guam ) the TB is back up and running. Course I managed to change out the rotors, brakes and give it a tune up. so the down time was a good thing i guess. BTW, for those who have NOT changed the PNL switch, do so, cause chances are it will take a shit on you before you know it. Mod's can close this if they would like, thanks for the help yall.
Hillbillybonez

by Eredin » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:06 am

Glad to hear this is fixed, but definitely sucks to hear about the resulting problems.
1988 Pontiac GTA WS6 - LSX Swap

2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT
2012 Chevrolet Cruze LT

Build Thread
Eredin
Trail-Blazer

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2005

Return to Troubleshooting