Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Trailblazer T-boned in the Tire *Pic Heavy*

Something not working right?

by Kuchar09 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:48 pm

First off sorry I haven't been around much lately I'v been working my butt off trying to graduate college May 3rd and get a job lined up. If I put this in the wrong spot feel free to move, I've been gone wayyyy too long. But anyways my blazer was parked in driveway with next to my housemates car. Snowmobile trailer hooked up and ready to hit the road today for the beginning of my spring break. Whoop whoop :excited: But unfortunately my female housemate driving the VW said her car just freaked out n took off T-boning my front driver side tire pushing me at about a 45 degree angle in to my other house mates car smashing up his rear quarter panel a little bit. She said she would pay for all the damages so hopefully she follows through.

Luckily she hit about 6 inches of my rock sliders then right into my tire then the wing of my bumper on the passenger side smashed in my housemates quarter panel. So thank god I didn't get an more body damage since I already had my driver side fender redone in January from vandalism.

This all happened at midnight last night while I was packing my bags getting read to hit the road in the morning. So the next morning I took it to one auto shop all my friends recommended me to trying to get my tire fixed so I could still get on the road today. At first glance the guy says looks like a wheel bearing and if I still had my receipt from replacing them back in August it should be covered under warranty. So I ran home jacked up my blazer to check the wheel bearing since I couldn't find the receipt but it felt fine. Had a little play left to right which I'm not surprised by. I ten took it back to him told him to look it over and let me know what he comes up with.

4 hours later I get a phone call saying the upper control arm bushings need to be replaced and he couldn't do it today so come pick it up. Didn't offer to setup an appointment just wanted to get as far away from it as possible. After talking to a few other shops that couldn't get me in till Tuesday I was recommended to another shop that said they would try to get it done today if I only needed an upper ball joint (but no promises) but if it needs an upper control arm wouldn't be till Monday. One of the mechanics walking by glanced at it and told me not to drive it anywhere and it looks like I need a new ball joint and control arm. Still haven't heard anything from them so I'll be giving them a call in the morning if their open and see whats going on.

So basically I'm just looking at all the possibilities of whats broken and how bad the bill is going to be so thought I'd stop in and see how bad everyone else thinks it is.

Only other thing to mention is between the knuckle and tire I can barley fit one finger in between them where as the passenger side I can fit 4, is it possible that whole knuckle could have bent or can the ball joints make that big of a difference in the angle/gap? Oh and the there is the inner tie rod that the boot looks all jacked up. Enjoy the pics!!

Oh and of course gotta thank bartonmd for this BA bumper that has saved me from even more damage multiple times now!!! Thanks man :thumright:

Unfortunately I didn't get any pictures of the pileup but my car was straight with another car on my left.

Tire

Inner Tie Rod

Passenger Side Knuckle

Driver Side Knuckle

And the Carnage

Kuchar09

Name: Travis
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Dammann35 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:42 am

Its hard to tell from the pictures what else is going on with the upper control arm.
Dammann35
Off-Roader

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:53 am

That sucks!
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by DustinC1989 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:56 am

That sucks man... were you in the truck when it happened or was it just parked?

Looks like its nothing that can't be fixed at least.
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007

by dvanbramer88 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:57 am

Why didn't/don't you just make a claim to her insurance company?
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Kuchar09 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:34 am

DustinC1989 wrote:That sucks man... were you in the truck when it happened or was it just parked?

Looks like its nothing that can't be fixed at least.

It was just parked ready to hit the road. I was inside packing and heard my alarm going off.

dvanbramer88 wrote:Why didn't/don't you just make a claim to her insurance company?

That's probably what I'm going to doing the next few days.

At this point I wouldn't be surprised if I need a new upper control arm, ball joint, knuckle and inner/ outer tie rod.
Kuchar09

by bartonmd » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:01 am

Also have a frame shop check your IFS subframe for being true, with the way the impact force was...

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike

by mikekey » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:12 am

Ouch. Do what Mike said. The smallest of frame bends can have unique effects on a vehicle. I had an IROC-Z that had to go to the frame shop, and even after, it never felt the same again. Ended up selling it.
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Cable810 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:42 am

Dang man that sucks....
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by DustinC1989 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:59 pm

At least you are ok and weren't in it at the time
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin

by boog2006 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:06 pm

SAS!!!!
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

Name: Brent

by Kuchar09 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:29 pm

bartonmd wrote:Also have a frame shop check your IFS subframe for being true, with the way the impact force was...

Mike

Thanks, I'll definitely get it looked at.

boog2006 wrote:SAS!!!!

Not the best timing but that idea sure has been floating around in my head for some time now..... Ya never know
Kuchar09

by navigator » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:04 pm

Kuchar09 wrote:
bartonmd wrote:Also have a frame shop check your IFS subframe for being true, with the way the impact force was...

Mike

Not the best timing but that idea sure has been floating around in my head for some time now..... Ya never know

They won't let you change your bumpers, will they let you SAS it?
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Kuchar09 » Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:32 pm

navigator wrote:
Kuchar09 wrote:

Mike

They won't let you change your bumpers, will they let you SAS it?

Who won't let me change bumpers?

SAS isn't in the near future if at all unfortunately with school and everything. Not to mention I don't even have anywhere to work on it nor a spare car for the down time.
Kuchar09

Return to Troubleshooting