Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Busted Rear Axle Bearing

Something not working right?

by Wahugg » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:54 pm

I was replacing the rear bearings and seals on the 8.6in I just picked up when this happened....

Any ideas on how to proceed? The puller doesn't catch well now that the washer can not compress it.

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Conner299 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:36 pm

This is what I did, when I changed my rear bearings, since the autozone kit wouldn't fit well. It takes a two man team. Get a piece of 1inch square stock tubing, or any other tubing, a little wider than the axle. Square is what we happened to have on hand. On my end, I held the square stock, to the inside of the bearing, and held it against the bearing, with a screw driver, on the inside of the square stock. Bro-in-law hammered the other side. Square stock was ran through the axle. Checked after each hammer blow, and moved the contact point around the inner edge of the bearing.
I DON'T care what my GMT360 was designed to do, I care about what it can do!
Conner299
Addict

Name: Ed
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Conner299 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:42 pm

And take your axles, when you go buy new bearings. One of my bearings wouldn't let the axle slide all the way in. It was the right part number, and even said so on the bearing. The replacement bearing was identical to the "wrong" one, but let the axle slide all the way home. Just test fit the bearing at the parts store, before putting it in the axle and finding out, like I did.
Conner299
Addict

by Wahugg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:51 am

Thanks for the advice. I may end up having to do what you said; remove the carrier and other half shaft and push the bearing out from behind.

As far as the bearings and seals go, I used OEM for the rear bearings as I heard the reports of there being misfits from 3rd parties. A bit more expensive, but its worth it for the extra mind.

I will report what ends up happening
-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

by Conner299 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:56 am

If your square stock or tubing is small enough, there is no need to remove the carrier. I was just super careful, sliding it in and out, to make sure I didn't knick anything.
Conner299
Addict

by bartonmd » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:21 am

Rent the proper slide hammer and attachment from AutoZone or Advance Auto, and go to town on it. Every one I've done has come apart like that, and you just have to turn the attachment around to grab another part of the race.

Puller set for the slide hammer looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Axle-Beari ... 0926261661

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Conner299 » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:53 am

bartonmd wrote:Rent the proper slide hammer and attachment from AutoZone or Advance Auto, and go to town on it. Every one I've done has come apart like that, and you just have to turn the attachment around to grab another part of the race.

Puller set for the slide hammer looks like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rear-Axle-Beari ... 0926261661

Mike

The bearing puller kit, I rented, was brand new and had every piece. Between three of us, we couldn't make it work.
Conner299
Addict

by bartonmd » Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:56 am

Conner299 wrote:
bartonmd wrote:Rent the proper slide hammer and attachment from AutoZone or Advance Auto, and go to town on it. Every one I've done has come apart like that, and you just have to turn the attachment around to grab another part of the race.

Mike

The bearing puller kit, I rented, was brand new and had every piece. Between three of us, we couldn't make it work.

I ended up using one that was 1 size too big, and didn't sit flat. I used that angle to force it to the side, so it beat out the race, not just broke it. I've never had any luck using any size of one of those that sat flat, because they've never been exactly the right size for where the race sits.

Mike
bartonmd

by Wahugg » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:52 pm

Mike, I used exactly that from autozone. What would happen is the washer that you screw tight against the bearing was too small and would go through the space the rollers were. Every time I would slide out it would bounce back and come back out. What I ended up doing was getting a cutting wheel and just cut a grove into it which allowed for its diameter to get smaller and pull right out. Worked out pretty well, only a little carnage.

Of course I then had to clean all the metal shavings out of the tube but that was easy enough. The axle is all serviced and put back together. The only part I'm wrestling with is the damn filler plug.

-Wahugg
Wahugg
Addict

by bartonmd » Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:22 pm

I didn't use that washer. I would slide hammer, then reposition, then hammer, then reposition, etc. and they usually come out fine. If the part that pivots sits flat on the back side of the bearing, it's too small, has been my experience.

Mike
bartonmd

Return to Troubleshooting