Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

6.0 with P0300 and loss of power

Something not working right?

by mikekey » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:23 am

ErikSS wrote:
DustinC1989 wrote:Clogged injectors?

It's possible. It would have to be more than one. Would I pull the fuel rail and look at them? Would I be able to see if they are clogged?

:facepalm:
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by DustinC1989 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:27 am

ErikSS wrote:
DustinC1989 wrote:Clogged injectors?

It's possible. It would have to be more than one. Would I pull the fuel rail and look at them? Would I be able to see if they are clogged?

If something was clogged externally (something on either end) you could see it. The rail and injectors would have to be pulled, which isn't to horrible
Internal clog, unfortunately would not be visable unless you have transparent injectors or know how to rebuild injectors.
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD

by v7guy » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:57 pm

When Mike mentioned the cam sensor I thought it was crazy talk, but as it turns out there's a few trouble shooting charts that lists it. I was wrong in discounting it.

The MAF code is interesting because a dirty MAF pops up quite a bit in the charts when you're looking at diagnosing a random misfire. A good ole q-tip with some alcohol used to be a popular way to clean em (it takes a very light touch). There's also MAF spray you can use.

I've also read a few trouble shooting charts that mention a coil going bad can manifest itself as a multiple misfire for a few days until it finally kicks the bucket.

I'm truly at a loss for what the problem actually is.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Karo » Mon Jan 13, 2014 5:17 pm

I had a problem like that and it had turned out it was a bad coil. Did you have a chance to monitor the misfires from which cylinder? My aeroforce gauge could do that. Changed the place of the coil and it went from cylinder 1 to 4 so this was easy to diagnose and replace.
Karo
Trail-Blazer

Name: Karsten
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Trail X » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:36 pm

Keep in mind this is the 6.0 L v8, not the I6.

The MAF sensor does sound suspect. The engine's gotta know how much air is being pulled into the engine, and if it doesn't, it will fall flat on it's face when you try to give it power. I'd say a rough idle could be a IAB (assuming the LS has one), but since it's falling flat under power, it's probably not that since the air through the IAB is so minimal comparatively at higher throttle inputs.

I'd certainly start with the MAF. Try cleaning it, see if there's a difference. If no difference, try unplugging it, see if there's a difference. If no difference when unplugged, then I would suspect that your sensor crapped out. Might try that same tactic with the intake air temp sensor. Have you checked the O2s? Could be that one of those went bad.

Do you have a Scangauge to help with your troubleshooting? It would make sense to check as many sensors as you can for sensible data. Try making sure the TPS is reporting properly, make sure the IAB is reporting properly, intake temperature, fuel pressure (if reported), closed loop or open loop, a/f ratio, there may even be a way to read raw data from the MAF sensor.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by ErikSS » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:58 am

It's clogged exhaust for sure. I took the Y pipe down and the power came back. It didn't sound bad either. Haha I need cats installed before Friday! Time crunch!
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by DustinC1989 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:59 am

Texas Speed Long Tubes and off road Y :twisted:
DustinC1989
Addict

by ErikSS » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:08 am

DustinC1989 wrote:Texas Speed Long Tubes and off road Y :twisted:

I would have XSPower long tubes on it already if I didn't have to have cats. I'm in an emissions area.
XSPower has 1 pair of catted pipes built and being tested... But I can't seem to talk them into sending me a set ASAP.
ErikSS
Lifer

by mikekey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 am

Emission tests, lame. Is it a visual inspection or a sniffer test? We used to get past the visual in VA by just getting high flow cats and emptying those suckers with a pipe then welding them up. I still agree, LT's and a free flowing exhaust are going to be a lot of fun on that rig.

BTW:
mikekey wrote:Catalytic converter, that's what I told you.

:cheers:
Once lifted 03 Trailblazer on 35's, gave it up to travel the USA with my family.
mikekey
Lifer

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:22 am

Might be the Cat...
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006

by v7guy » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:51 pm

You sure the cat isn't just the symptom of a problem?
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:55 pm

Might need a dog to chase the cat.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by mikekey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:00 pm

Should of bought a Ford, just saying.
mikekey
Lifer

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:03 pm

A good ole CRaptor
HARDTRAILZ

by DustinC1989 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:37 pm

Oh, emissions test state.... that sucks.
Just hollow out the cats for this weekend and replace them before you need tags again. Might get a P0420 code, but it isn't going to effect anything
DustinC1989
Addict

by ErikSS » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:31 pm

After figuring out that my SS ran great with only manifolds for exhaust last night, I started research. Turns out the Fedral Regulation on Catalytic Converter warranty is 8 years or 80,000 miles. I'm JUST inside of that. After a long talk with my local service advisor, he agreed that I had a strong chace of getting it covered under warranty. With that looming I decided to put it back together and bring it down. I hooked up everything back to the flange behind the Y pipe. No surprise, it ran just like it did with the clogged Cats. I figured it was one last thing to rule out. I find out tomorrow if they are covering it for sure. I do know the dealership has a Y pipe in stock!
ErikSS
Lifer

by Regulator1175 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:57 am

For what its worth, I spent the better part of an hour last night trying to talk Erik into just bringing it as it was. I wanted to here that truck running with a wide open exhaust. However he kept whining about getting tickets and impounded! :raspberry:
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by mikekey » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:03 am

Open headers is straight up redneck. I still vote get some LT's Eric and shove a pipe thru your cats.
mikekey
Lifer

by ErikSS » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:31 pm

According to the dealer, I have an exhaust leak and a bad O2 sensor. When I asked how that could cause such extreme conditions they told me that it has to do with the fuel map. So I asked if that's the case, why would it run better with NO O2 sensors and a MASSIVE exhaust leak. He explained that the base line is probably ok, but the curve from the O2 sensor is making my engine run super rich. So I asked if that's the case, shouldn't it run the same with that O2 sensor unplugged as it does with no O2 senor's? He agreed that the logic works. So I went home to unplug the O2 sensor, and found it WAS unplugged. I cannot say if I didn't get it plugged in right and it fell apart, or if his tech unplugged it and didn't plug it back in. Either way, I'm unhappy with the tech. It suggests the data is skewed. Also, it PROVES that unplugging the O2 sensor and sending that to base signal does NOT affect the major engine performance.
When I got a hold of the service department manager, he explained a few things to me that make sense about warranty process. So I attempted to suggest a way to see what I'm trying to explain happens, to which he responded "I don't care what you want. I need my tech to diagnose it." To which I responded "If your tech can't put an O2 sensor plug back on while diagnosing a vehicle to need that very O2 sensor than you need a more trustworthy tech."

Signed,
NOT HAPPY
ErikSS
Lifer

by TBYODA » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:41 pm

So it sound like they don't want to warranty shit it seems.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo

PreviousNext

Return to Troubleshooting