Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

When it rains it pours!!!

Something not working right?

by Spot u 3 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:55 am

Gunk Motor Flush from autozone. Works like a charm!
Spot u 3
Cruiser

Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Aries » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Spot u 3 wrote:I was driving to work and all of a sudden I started smelling burnt oil.

Just had the same happen to me today. Around noon I figured I would head out for more deer hunting, it was 13*F outside. It's about a 30 min drive to my stand, 25 minutes into my drive I smell oil burning. I pull over and pop the the hood only to find oil all over the right side of the engine, I remove the oil cap and heard pressure release. Across the road was an AV Auto so I walked over and picked up 5 qts standard 5w30, i added about 2.5 qts to get it on the stick. I ran her for about 10 minutes and every thing seemed to run fine, didn't see any oil pouring out or heard any pressure coming from release of the oil cap. So I decided to head out to my deer stand. On the ride home I stopped a number of times to check under the hoop and everything seemed to be fine. I want to head out at 5:00am and freeze my ass off waiting for some white tail but I'll have to see how it goes in the morning.
Aries
Trail-Blazer

Vehicle Year: 2002

by Spot u 3 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:17 am

Same exact thing bro. Check your PCV tube and your resonator box for condensation. Also, if you can do a compression test. Once I did a motor flush and switched to FULL synthetic I haven't had any problems. You may have to replace the cam cover gasket but as of yet mine is not leaking. Any over heating problems, coolant loss, etc? What kind of oil are you running?
Spot u 3
Cruiser

Vehicle Year: 2004

by Aries » Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:30 pm

Spot u 3 wrote:Same exact thing bro. Check your PCV tube and your resonator box for condensation. Also, if you can do a compression test. Once I did a motor flush and switched to FULL synthetic I haven't had any problems. You may have to replace the cam cover gasket but as of yet mine is not leaking. Any over heating problems, coolant loss, etc? What kind of oil are you running?

Yep, Same exact thing. I decided not to head out deer hunting this morning didn't want a break down in the AM. So this is what I came up with, frozen condensation in the oil cap and pcv hose. I put everything back together and started the TB, my scan gaugeII read 6.7 MAP (Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure). Removed the oil cap and the MAP dropped down to 4.4. Ran the engine until 190*F WT, removed the pcv hose again and it looked like it was enough to melt the FC. Replaced the cap and everything seemed to be fine. I switched to 100% Synthetic Model 1 on my last oil change. Next week I have to get ready to head down to VA Beach for work, I'm taking my work van so the TB will have to wait until I get back. Differently gonna have to do a compression check and find out exactly where the oil was spraying out.

Aries
Trail-Blazer

by navigator » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:12 pm

seems like a lot of condensation. I wonder if there is a way to put some kind of heat source there to keep it from freezing? Kind of like here we put a light in the pump house to keep the water pump from freezing on cold nights.

Now I just realized, I won't be able to buy any more 60 watt incandescent light bulbs to put in my pump house!
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by dvanbramer88 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:40 pm

navigator wrote:seems like a lot of condensation. I wonder if there is a way to put some kind of heat source there to keep it from freezing? Kind of like here we put a light in the pump house to keep the water pump from freezing on cold nights.

Now I just realized, I won't be able to buy any more 60 watt incandescent light bulbs to put in my pump house!

Pet store. They have all the heat and spot lights for reptiles and chickens and what not.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.j ... lInUS%2FNo

Infrared and Neodymium bulbs will still be available.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by Trail X » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:12 pm

Aries, the oil cap has no bearing on the MAP value. MAP is after the throttle plate, PCV is before the throttle on these vehicles. The compression check won't locate your leak, it will check to make sure you don't have excessive blowby in your engine. The combustion of fuel creates both water vapor and pressure. So the fact that you saw both means that you may have a compression leak into your oil chambers somewhere.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Aries » Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:29 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Aries, the oil cap has no bearing on the MAP value. MAP is after the throttle plate, PCV is before the throttle on these vehicles. The compression check won't locate your leak, it will check to make sure you don't have excessive blowby in your engine. The combustion of fuel creates both water vapor and pressure. So the fact that you saw both means that you may have a compression leak into your oil chambers somewhere.

I was just out there looking at it again :scratch: and came up with the same as you stated. There really isn't a way to measure that type of pressure.
navigator wrote:I wonder if there is a way to put some kind of heat source there to keep it from freezing? Kind of like here we put a light in the pump house to keep the water pump from freezing on cold nights.

I had a friend who once put a heat lamp under the hood of his truck (red neck style) In 0* weather and melted some plug wires :lol: Another guy put a propane pot heater under his house to thaw out frozen pipes "I thinks you know the out come of that"
Aries
Trail-Blazer

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting