Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

When it rains it pours!!!

Something not working right?

by DustinC1989 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:48 pm

-50 was just the windchill, not sure if that could freeze the oil. Actual temp only reached about -20.

Could be wrong though.

Did you watch for visible leaks the second time?
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Aries » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:54 pm

v7guy wrote:James, I was envisioning one of those motors where it looks like somebody eptied a tub of grease under the valve and cam covers. Basically blocking off everything and pressurizing the crank case.

"Quaker State" Back some time 1980 /81 (can't remember exact, they were my Grateful Dead days) I worked at a lumber yard where we blow the engines out of two trucks due to bad Quaker State Oil. The garage bought one of the valve cover in to show the owner and it looked like someone had layered used axle grease in the cover an inch thick. QS rep hand delivered a check for the cost of two new engines, plus install. Owner had to sign a contact stating he would keep his mouth shut.
Aries
Trail-Blazer

Name: David
Vehicle Year: 2002

by dvanbramer88 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:26 pm

DustinC1989 wrote:-50 was just the windchill, not sure if that could freeze the oil. Actual temp only reached about -20.

Could be wrong though.

Did you watch for visible leaks the second time?

Mechanical devices aren't affected by wind chill. An object outside can only get as cold as the actual temperature. And TBYODA is talking Celsius and you guys are talking Fahrenheit.

Wind chill is just a comparison of how the wind makes the air feel to your bare skin. It basically means that, because of the wind, -20 degree air has the capacity/ability of removing heat from something as -50 degree air standing still. But the object can still only get as cold as the actual.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by dvanbramer88 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:56 pm

Also oil doesn't freeze. It has what is called a pour point. Below the pour point it will not flow. Normal 10W-30 is -30*F And 5W-30 is -35*F. Synthetics can have pour points as low as -50*F or -60*F
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave

by Trail X » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:10 pm

navigator wrote:yeah, I did some googling too and see 15C not F but most of the hits are like you mention much cooler.

15 degrees C is 60 degrees F... :facepalm:

DustinC1989 wrote:-50 was just the windchill, not sure if that could freeze the oil. Actual temp only reached about -20.

Physics lesson! Wind chill is similar to a wet bulb temperature reading, which factors in the effects of evaporation of water. Basically its just a normal "dry bulb" thermometer, with a bit of wet cloth around it. Interestingly, it actually does get colder than the dry bulb, which we commonly refer to as ambient temperature. The reason it gets colder is because water needs a certain amount of energy to evaporate, called the latent heat of vaporization. Same reason water cannot get hotter than the boiling point. As the wind gets faster, and the humidity level drops, it increases the rate of evaporation of water... and therefore lowers the wet bulb (or wind chill) temperature.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TBYODA » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:19 am

dvanbramer88 wrote:Also oil doesn't freeze. It has what is called a pour point. Below the pour point it will not flow. Normal 10W-30 is -30*F And 5W-30 is -35*F. Synthetics can have pour points as low as -50*F or -60*F
???? Ok so if the oil was below is pour point and it will not flow would not the oil pump have a very hard time trying to pump the oil at all before the motor heats up? I should write myth busters on the subject and ask them to test it. ;)
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by DustinC1989 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:45 am

[ImgSize=][/ImgSize]
JamesDowning wrote:
navigator wrote:yeah, I did some googling too and see 15C not F but most of the hits are like you mention much cooler.

Physics lesson! Wind chill is similar to a wet bulb temperature reading, which factors in the effects of evaporation of water. Basically its just a normal "dry bulb" thermometer, with a bit of wet cloth around it. Interestingly, it actually does get colder than the dry bulb, which we commonly refer to as ambient temperature. The reason it gets colder is because water needs a certain amount of energy to evaporate, called the latent heat of vaporization. Same reason water cannot get hotter than the boiling point. As the wind gets faster, and the humidity level drops, it increases the rate of evaporation of water... and therefore lowers the wet bulb (or wind chill) temperature.

That was actually my point... wind chill is just how cold it feels, not what the actual temp is.
So since we had a -50 windchill, the temp only ever reached as low as -20 and that was in few places.

Wasn't very clear on that, but my brain is about fried. Lack of sleep dealing with the snow and vehicles of all my family members who have never heard of preparing for winter
DustinC1989
Addict

Name: Dustin
Vehicle Year: 2007

by Moots1288 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:16 am

dvanbramer88 wrote:Also oil doesn't freeze. It has what is called a pour point. Below the pour point it will not flow. Normal 10W-30 is -30*F And 5W-30 is -35*F. Synthetics can have pour points as low as -50*F or -60*F
We had to replace some of our oil jobs from 2 oil to kerosene cause the "gel" temperature is -21 compared to 2 oil 32 F gel point. So I agree
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by navigator » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:36 am

JamesDowning wrote:

sorry, it was -15 C
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Trail X » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:38 am

That still +5 degrees F.
Trail X
Founder

by Spot u 3 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:55 pm

Ok here is an update. I topped off with oil and took the resonator off. For some reason I can't duplicate the problem. My PCV hose had ice blocking the passage from the cam cover to the intake resonator. Every since i switched to this synthetic blend ive been getting more condensation. I'm kinda lost! I'm going to flush and go with mobil 1 synthetic, however as of right now I have no clue why I lost so much oil at one time. My camshaft actuator connector was filled with oil. I'm going to change out and see what happens. Any suggestions?
Spot u 3
Cruiser

Vehicle Year: 2004

by Trail X » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:30 pm

If your PCV hose is filled with ice, that could potentially cause pressurization of the oil chambers. The weak link when pressurized might be the cam cover gasket.

Could also have something to do with the low temps and the oil not wanting to drain properly out of the top of the head. But you'd think it would quickly heat up and melt after a few minutes of idling (which I assumed you did after starting in -20 weather).
Trail X
Founder

by Spot u 3 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:36 pm

Exactly!!!!!!
Spot u 3
Cruiser

by Trail X » Fri Jan 10, 2014 9:38 am

But you shouldn't get a bunch of ice in your PCV either.
Trail X
Founder

by Spot u 3 » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:38 pm

Don't know where the condensation is coming from!
Spot u 3
Cruiser

by Trail X » Fri Jan 10, 2014 3:42 pm

How long are your drives? Have you taken drives longer than 10/20 minutes recently?
Trail X
Founder

by ErikSS » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:39 pm

JamesDowning wrote:How long are your drives? Have you taken drives longer than 10/20 minutes recently?

He drives about 45min each way to work. I think he's getting a lot of condensation for some reason. Has anyone heard of the cowling (sp?) dripping onto the air box? It's just a shot in the dark for me.

He came out and spent HOURS helping me try to diagnose a P0300 random multiple misfire (and massive loss of power) on my truck. Thanks man! I've got 5 days to get it running right. haha
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik

by Trail X » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:29 pm

The airbox should be a sealed element, with the only way of water or air getting in being through the air filter.

I think it is somewhat common to get some amount of condensate in the PCV, but it shouldn't be enough to completely block the tube because it should fully evaporate out after a 45 minute drive.
Trail X
Founder

by Spot u 3 » Fri Jan 17, 2014 1:55 am

Ok everyone here is the skinny........My PCV hose was clogged due to the fact of condensation. The condensation froze and built up so much pressure that oil blew out of my cam cover. This was a huge relief!!! I did two motor flushes with conventional oil and it looked like I hadn't done a oil change in 10 years! I refilled with Mobil 1 Synthetic and let me tell ya my engine runs so much better. More importantly, no more condensation on the oil cap. I also replaced my cam actuator. Now this is my OPINION but I was running Valvoline synthetic blend and came to the conclusion that synthetic blend is more hygroscopic than full synthetic or full conventional. I drove the TB to Erik SS's shop and she purred like a kitty cat! Also Per Erik SS walmart sells the mobile 1 synthetic for $26.99 per 5 gallon jugs. "Damn you Autozone charging me $33.99"
Spot u 3
Cruiser

by TBYODA » Fri Jan 17, 2014 2:12 am

What flush brand did you use or was it just Dino?
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo

PreviousNext

Return to Troubleshooting