Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Motor mounts?

Something not working right?

by c0a8l0v6i8n9 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:47 pm

Recently my truck vibrates you can feel it even if you touch the tires. When accelerating it vibrates for a second then stops. If I put it in neutral the vibration lessens. If I turn right the vibrations gets worse and left hand turns it goes away.

This seemed to happen one night I was reversing in 4HI and as the tires were spinning through the sand I heard a wack wack wack sound as if someone was hitting something with a hammer.

The other day it stopped vibrating I was going uphill and made a right out of a parking lot l. I heard that same hammer hit sound and it went away but has now returned.

I'm thinking motor mounts. Any suggestions?
c0a8l0v6i8n9
Cruiser

Name: Calvin
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by ErikSS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:15 pm

c0a8l0v6i8n9 wrote: If I turn right the vibrations gets worse and left hand turns it goes away.

That sounds like a left front wheel bearing problem to me. Jack it up, spin that wheel and listen. Also I grab the tire at the bottom and top and try to wiggle for play.
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by c0a8l0v6i8n9 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:35 pm

I doubt it's the bearings they are about 5k miles old. It vibrates at about 1300 rpm the worse in gear or not in gear.
c0a8l0v6i8n9
Cruiser

by Moots1288 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:15 pm

c0a8l0v6i8n9 wrote:I doubt it's the bearings they are about 5k miles old. It vibrates at about 1300 rpm the worse in gear or not in gear.
doesn't matter how old they are. My moog wheel hub went on the way to tecore with about 2k on it.
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by ErikSS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:20 pm

Do you have G80?

Edit: Nevermind. I see your build sheet says no do not have G80. I was wondering if that's what you were feeling in reverse in sand but obviously not. Sorry! Wheel bearing is still what I would check first as the platform is known to be hard on them.
ErikSS
Lifer

by c0a8l0v6i8n9 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:11 pm

If it was a wheel bearing why does it shake and vibrate in park
c0a8l0v6i8n9
Cruiser

by Moots1288 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:12 pm

c0a8l0v6i8n9 wrote:If it was a wheel bearing why does it shake and vibrate in park
how hard is the vibration?
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006

by ErikSS » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:20 pm

c0a8l0v6i8n9 wrote:If it was a wheel bearing why does it shake and vibrate in park

It wouldn't. So it vibrates while sitting still, but goes away when you turn left? Sorry man, I'm at a loss.
ErikSS
Lifer

by c0a8l0v6i8n9 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:30 pm

The vibration is very noticeable
c0a8l0v6i8n9
Cruiser

by The Roadie » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:52 pm

A 10 Hertz rotational vibration you can see by looking at the PCM, that's worse in DRIVE than PARK, is motor mounts.

The vibration you feel while driving may be the bearing, or more likely a borked CV shaft. CVs are cheaper than bearings.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:06 pm

True, its possible that there are two vibrations working together to produce the symptoms.

Have you inspected your motor mounts? Check for fluid coming out of them, or one significantly deflated compared to the other. Does the engine seem to shake badly, as roadie said?

Does the shake/vibration seem to get worse at any specific speeds of travel? Have you inspected your front suspension for torn boots or other worn components?
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by c0a8l0v6i8n9 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:03 am

I'm going to try to check the mounts tomorrow. I didn't notice any fluid loss from the mounts. The CV on my passenger side is about 1000 miles old. Could it be a defective shaft?

The vibration is the first second of take off then it goes away. The moment I hit the gas it will vibrate then disappear and not return until I'm at a full stop.
c0a8l0v6i8n9
Cruiser

by v7guy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:17 am

Calvin, this is pretty much the exact symptoms of the ole motor mounts being junk. Your description matches everything I've read while researching my bad motor mounts and it mirrors my experience when I suddenly got a vibration with the motor runnin. As Bill said, it all has to do with the natural vibrations of the motor and it's pretty damn specific in the rpm range. Quite the quirk of the ole I6.
I didn't see any leaky fluid on the mount when I replaced it until I pulled it out. When it was out and compared to the old mounts it was obvious that it was significantly degraded. no doubt at all, torn, leaky, and collapsed a good bit. Installed the bad mount looked fine. It's particularly important to note that you want OEM replacements. Everything else seems to make the vibrations worse or offer no improvement.

You'll also find that if you dig around enough a rock in the transmission mount can cause these exact symptoms. So it's the first thing to check. Even though it's cold as frack.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by c0a8l0v6i8n9 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:50 am

v7guy wrote:Calvin, this is pretty much the exact symptoms of the ole motor mounts being junk. Your description matches everything I've read while researching my bad motor mounts and it mirrors my experience when I suddenly got a vibration with the motor runnin. As Bill said, it all has to do with the natural vibrations of the motor and it's pretty damn specific in the rpm range. Quite the quirk of the ole I6.
I didn't see any leaky fluid on the mount when I replaced it until I pulled it out. When it was out and compared to the old mounts it was obvious that it was significantly degraded. no doubt at all, torn, leaky, and collapsed a good bit. Installed the bad mount looked fine. It's particularly important to note that you want OEM replacements. Everything else seems to make the vibrations worse or offer no improvement.

You'll also find that if you dig around enough a rock in the transmission mount can cause these exact symptoms. So it's the first thing to check. Even though it's cold as frack.

Thanks Jason. I figured it was probably my mounts I will check for a rock in the tranny mount and hope that's the case but in my life nothing is that simple. The mounts will have to wait till spring.
c0a8l0v6i8n9
Cruiser

Return to Troubleshooting