Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

SOLVED: Trying to diagnose a vibration/humming noise.

Something not working right?

by Moots1288 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Ive been having a vibration latley as well, then found that both mevotech arms have no bushings left in the Yoke to control arm bushing. Check those out too. Might be because I have Radflos though and dont have a upper strut mount bushing.
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Opeth » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:41 pm

I was poking around on mine again today after changing the front diff fluid, I still haven't installed the mevotech lower arms I bought or the dorman uppers..However my upper bushings are all cracked to hell and would assume the lowers are doing the same. Before I install the uppers, I've got an idea I wanna play around with to fix the caster/ upper ball joint angle issues.

Also the brand new cv shaft I installed boots' are already tearing....gotta talk to advance auto about what can be done with them. Would rather take my money back since they don't offer a multi ribbed boot.

I'm also beginning to wonder if I have a stuck caliper or the rotors are just crap. They are drilled and slotted and make a god awful noise when slowing down and mimic the noise/ vibration I get at highway speeds.

Tons of variables, eventually I'll have a brand new front end after I replace everything.... Lol
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by ErikSS » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:57 pm

Any updates?
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Opeth » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:55 am

I've rotated tires around, sound doesn't change but some vibs are gone. Just not the one under my feet on the firewall.

I'm kind of just dealing with this for now, its becoming a snowy white tundra up here and my garage is well.... Not available to play in. Plus having to buy Xmas gifts has put spending money on parts on hold for now. I will update this if/when I figure something out.
Opeth
Addict

by Opeth » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:11 am

Figures.... Last thing I replaced ended up being the culprit. Driver side wheel bearing was toasted, had no play and couldn't tell till I had it off the truck. Very shocked it had no play for he amount of sounds it was making.

I wasn't getting any noises from that side, and turning wasn't effecting the noise. All sounded like the passenger side issue. Sure stumped me good!
Opeth
Addict

by The Roadie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Opeth wrote:Figures.... Last thing I replaced ended up being the culprit.
That's sort of required by the laws of serial troubleshooting. Same reason a lost cellphone/keys/concert ticket is in the LAST place you look. You quit looking then! :excited:
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by ErikSS » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:23 pm

Well I'd hope so! I'd sure hate to hear... "Well guys... I fixed the problem. I sure hope I figure it out soon!"
It's not how fast you go. It's how quick you get there. Lifted TBSS Build
ErikSS
Lifer

Name: Erik
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Opeth » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:27 pm

ErikSS wrote:

Well I'd hope so! I'd sure hate to hear... "Well guys... I fixed the problem. I sure hope I figure it out soon!"

Yea, that would be odd to say.

I just feel like I was beat down for overlooking something so simple, it wasn't giving me the normal tell tales to replace that part. I do however need to replace my pinion seal, found out that's leaking slowly too....
Opeth
Addict

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting