Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

really need your guys help with my trans!!!!!

Something not working right?

by v7guy » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:16 pm

dvanbramer88 wrote:I'm curious, does anybody out there make/sell reman valve bodies with shift kits installed during the re-manufacture process?

I really should just be giving a one answer response, just to keep the theme of the thread going...

To the best of my knowledge, no. It wouldn't make a tremendous amount of difference in the install even if they did. The valve body would still have to come out and you'd still be replacing springs in the accumulators and the boost valve. You'd still need to drill the holes for your specific seperator plate. It would probably make sense to go with the pinless accumulators too. They aren't both in the valve body. Plus there's a fair amount of variation over the years in the transmissions themselves where different springs are used depending on internal parts.

The extra little bit of time spent replacing the parts in the valve body is really just a quarter or third of the work.

I really believe anyone that's mildly mechanically inclined and has some patience can do the job as long as they take the time and double check everything as it's going together. I'm reasonably sure the Keys had their problem due to the transmission just being on the way out already.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by dvanbramer88 » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:19 pm

I did not realize a lot of the shift kit wasn't in the valve body. I falsely believed it was mostly in the valve body.

I see what you're saying and it makes sense why they don't or it wouldn't make much sense too.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by v7guy » Fri Oct 11, 2013 6:49 pm

I would guess maybe half to two thirds of the shift kit install is in the valve body, but changing out the springs and valves in the valve body really isn't that big of a deal. You just have to use the right springs in relation to the parts in the valvebody/transmission.
The point I was trying to get across is that doing the valve body spring swaps is just a relatively small fraction of the work as far as the whole job goes. I'm also unsure if there are other differences inside the transmission that are related to the parts that vary in the valve body, so that may or may not make a difference in the possibility of getting a valve body with the parts already installed.
If you can drop the valve body, swap accumulators, drill the seperator plate etc, swapping out springs in the valve body isn't a big deal at all.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by WaltV » Fri Oct 11, 2013 11:55 pm

v7guy wrote:The point I was trying to get across is that doing the valve body spring swaps is just a relatively small fraction of the work as far as the whole job goes. I'm also unsure if there are other differences inside the transmission that are related to the parts that vary in the valve body, so that may or may not make a difference in the possibility of getting a valve body with the parts already installed.
If you can drop the valve body, swap accumulators, drill the seperator plate etc, swapping out springs in the valve body isn't a big deal at all.

+ v7guy is on point.
WaltV
Cruiser

Name: Walt
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting