Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Front end clunk

Something not working right?

by Moots1288 » Tue Sep 10, 2013 4:05 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Does it do it when the front end is lifted in the air? If so, get someone down there to take a look when you turn the wheel. If nothing else, trace out a repetitive pattern in a parking lot that creates the noise. Since its at low speeds, have someone walk along and try to locate the origin of the sound. Left side vs right side, front of the wheel well vs back of the wheel well, top vs bottom. Then you'll at least have a quadrant to begin looking closer at. I had one of these once, very similar, and it was that some of the "frame shield" at the front of the ifs subframe got bent into the lca and was rubbing. For some reason when doing slow parking maneuvers it bound up and would jump really odd-like. Finding it was a matter of performing the same thing I said above.

It only happens when there is pressure from the vehicles weight on it. It also happens at a standstill and me and Jason together laid down and located the bang coming from underneath the truck about center of the undercarriage right where the rack and pinion is.
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting