Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Broken Transfer Case & Upgrade to 4.10 gears

Something not working right?

by Gordinho80 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:10 pm

Yes, you read that correctly... BROKEN transfer case.

Yesterday morning, wife and I were heading out to NYC for a concert. We got in the truck and headed toward the nearest train station 25 minutes away. 65 on the highway, loud clunk followed by something dragging. Immediately pulled over and saw the drive shaft hanging down. I did not want to get into anything dirty since we had the concert to attend. We wanted to get there early so that we could get good seats.

I pulled the drive shaft off, noticing it was broken at both crosses. Threw it into the trunk and figured I'd engage the front and just limp home and switch cars. Front won't engage. Again, didn't want to get dirty so I tried letting it roll downhill on the should, cutting wheel back and forth, hoping for the disco to engage... no good. Called a tow truck and got it towed home.

I've pretty much decided to use this downtime to upgrade my gears. Found a 4.10 front differential on car-part.com! Called a place locally that does axle work, they quoted me $400 in labor to regear the rear axle. Local shop has ring/pinion for $200, $100 for a Master Kit, and $70 for axle bearings and seals. So about $800 to rebuild my 8.6 rear and keep the aftermarket locker.

Well, today I got the truck on stands and started inspecting the situation fully.

Rear fork:

Transfer Case:

So I called the yard that had the front diff, got a price on transfer case as well. SOLD!

Guess I'm gonna be a little busy over the next couple of weeks. Luckily, my parents only live 40 minutes from us, and they are going overseas for a few weeks. Will be using their car until TB is back on the road...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by bgwolfpack » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:38 pm

Glad you are ok Mario! That must have been scary!

Are you going to pull the TC apart and look for us?
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Gordinho80 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:56 pm

Yeah, I was in the right lane, so as soon as I heard something, I slowed down and pulled over. Luckily the shaft was still attached and didn't go flying into the highway!

Once I have the TC off, I'll open it up and take all kinds of pics.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by james02 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:11 pm

What concert?? :hijack:
james02
Off-Roader

Name: james
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Gordinho80 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:15 pm

Mumford & Sons in Forest Hills, Queens. AWESOME SHOW!
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by bgwolfpack » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:17 pm

Maybe I've missed it at sometime but, has this happened before for anyone else? I've gernaded rear ends before, (not in this platform) but that is amazing. I look forward to more pics, thanks.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by bartonmd » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:23 pm

Good times! I'm going to guess that the ear on your driveshaft broke, which took the whole thing for a really unbalanced spin, which broke the output housing off of the T-case.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by james02 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Where in forest hills?? Didn't realize there was a venue big enough out there...Though some good pubs... I'm assuming you took the oh so dreadful LIRR?
james02
Off-Roader

by Gordinho80 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:33 pm

Forest Hills Stadium, the big Tennis courts where they used to hold the US Open? Capacity is listed at like 15k, I think they packed 18k in there though. We can continue this chat in Chat Thread - viewtopic.php?f=7&t=613

Back on topic...

I'm inclined to agree with you there, Mike. I think it started at the rear diff. Cross broke, things got all kinds of out of balance.

I am looking forward to the 4.10s now, though. My neighbor was just talking to me and he's done diffs before, so we're going do the rear swap ourselves, save me a few hundred $!
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by Moots1288 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 3:46 pm

I know alot of people that went to that concert. Should have stopped by me and said what's up! 5 minutes away on interstate 678.. Glad you're alright!
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006

by james02 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:03 pm

oh right....there was a big stink amongst the locals...I think thats more Flushing....just sayin... I agree with Moots, not about stopping by...But glad you're safe!!
james02
Off-Roader

by TBYODA » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:52 pm

Could it be possible you hit the yoke on few rocks? Has any one made/purchase something like this? http://fourtreks.com/chevy_14_bolt_yoke_guard.html
Is it really needed?
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by DirtyBacon04 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:03 pm

Looks like a useful product, but "needed" is based off your mission. I've never needed one... yet. I'm not aware of anyone getting rock damage to the ujoint area, but it's very feasible. Certainly something worth looking into. Just make sure you clear the mud out afterwards, I'd say. Other than that I dont see a downside other than extra work for the trail repair.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Gordinho80 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:19 pm

No rocks. Sadly, the truck hasn't even been offroad since I grenaded the original diff at TECORE, April 2012.... :(
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by TBYODA » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:28 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:Just make sure you clear the mud out afterwards, I'd say.

Was thinking the same thing when I came across it surfing. Was thinking that maybe this would need to be a custom item for our platform and I would have opening near the base (half circle) for that reason but not sure what that would do for to its strength. Maybe Mike or James will chime in, I am no ME.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

TBYODA

by TBYODA » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:38 pm

Gordinho80 wrote:No rocks. Sadly, the truck hasn't even been offroad since I grenaded the original diff at TECORE, April 2012.... :(

It was just a passing thought when I seen the post and have not noticed anyone using one with all the different armor used.

TBYODA

by Trail X » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:49 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:Looks like a useful product, but "needed" is based off your mission. I've never needed one... yet. I'm not aware of anyone getting rock damage to the ujoint area, but it's very feasible. Certainly something worth looking into. Just make sure you clear the mud out afterwards, I'd say. Other than that I dont see a downside other than extra work for the trail repair.
If I recall, Bill destroyed his rear drive shaft on a rock once. I forget the story, but I'm sure he'll be around.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by v7guy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:43 am

pretty nifty
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason

by Regulator1175 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:46 am

JamesDowning wrote:
DirtyBacon04 wrote:Looks like a useful product, but "needed" is based off your mission. I've never needed one... yet. I'm not aware of anyone getting rock damage to the ujoint area, but it's very feasible. Certainly something worth looking into. Just make sure you clear the mud out afterwards, I'd say. Other than that I dont see a downside other than extra work for the trail repair.
If I recall, Bill destroyed his rear drive shaft on a rock once. I forget the story, but I'm sure he'll be around.

I have as well, only because of Barton's great spotting! :-P

Glad to hear something positive will come out of your misfortune.Same decision I just made after grenadeing my rear end.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland

by The Roadie » Fri Aug 30, 2013 10:40 am

JamesDowning wrote:If I recall, Bill destroyed his rear drive shaft on a rock once. I forget the story, but I'm sure he'll be around.
http://forums.offroadtb.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=107
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton

Next

Return to Troubleshooting