Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Broken Transfer Case & Upgrade to 4.10 gears

Something not working right?

by Regulator1175 » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:06 am

I know what that is like! I had a loose caliper bracket bolt work its way out and the caliper was sitting on the rim. It lasted long enough to wear through the rim where it came to a very sudden stop as it locked up on the wheel! This was back in my lowered days, so I was unable to even get under the truck to look things over. I falsely assumed it was my tranny, had it towed to the closest transmission shop only to feel like a moron when they laughingly told me what happened the next day.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by navigator » Sat Oct 05, 2013 8:51 am

sounds like great news Mario. Hopefully you're over the hump.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Gordinho80 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:34 pm

I was away for 2 weeks and haven't had much of a chance to put any real mileage on the truck since completing this work. But I'm back now and figure it is time for an update.

Before I left, I had the tires balanced and an alignment done.

I still haven't put 500 miles on the new gears, but the first couple of trips the truck took where short and allowed the diff to heat up and cool properly in between.

When I got back, my sister actually took my truck to airport to pick us up, about 50 miles each way with interstate driving. The truck has an annoying vibration at about 50 MPH. I attribute this to poor balancing. The shop that balanced the tires had mentioned that because of the wear on the tires, it was impossible to 100% accurately balance them. I'm hoping to get at least another year out of these tires and was thinking of picking up some balancing beads.

Also, question on the orientation of the rear driveshaft. When I put the replacement shaft in, I don't recall if I put it in the same orientation as it was on the donor vehicle. Once I removed the U Joints, I lost track of which side was connected to the TC flange and which was differential side. Does this matter? Should I take the driveshaft off and have it balanced?
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Gordinho80 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:35 pm

Finally time for an update on this...

Back in October, wife was driving the truck when the driveshaft went loose again. I met up with her and we switched cars. I pulled the shaft and put the truck in 4wd in order to get it home. It drove fine, but it was gushing trans fluid. After a while I pulled over and arranged to flat-tow it home. When I got it home the transmission wasn't engaging, no forward, no reverse. Life prevented me from working on the truck until now. I pushed it into the garage and got it up in the air.

I found out why the trans fluid gushed out...

This is the cast piece that goes between the transmission and the transfer case, where both bolt to the cross member.

Where do I even find this part???? And how do I test/check my transmission without having to put everything back together? If the trans isn't engaging, what should I look for?
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by dvanbramer88 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:59 pm

Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Gordinho80 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:01 am

Thanks Dave. I have no idea how that part broke... this truck continues to boggle my mind...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by v7guy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:37 am

Mario, you have the weirdest shit break on this thing.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by Trail X » Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:11 am

I still think the only possibility is that your transfer case somehow momentarily locked up which broke this casting and broke your drive shaft in one swoop. But, who knows for sure.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Gordinho80 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:58 am

I wish I had been driving when it happened. Getting details from the wife was a little difficult. She was very shaken up at the time. She was on an interstate travelling at 60mph.

Not sure what would have made the TC lock up momentarily, if it did. Considering I was able to drive it in 4HI for a short time afterwards, I'm remaining optimistic. I've picked up a new trans filter kit, as I've already dropped the pan to examine the remaining fluid, which looks OK.

When this occurred, I was so frustrated with the truck that I didn't even really look into the issue. What I do recall, and know for certain... the U joint at the rear axle lost a cap on the yoke side. The straps were still both bolted in. 1 cap remained clamped down to the yoke by a strap, the other ended up on the NJ Turnpike somewhere. I'm ashamed to say, but this failure, I believe, is all on me. When putting the truck all back together, I must have left off a retaining clip, maybe more than one, on the u joints.

I'm hoping that the broken adapter was the result of 2 driveshafts spinning wildly. The 1st break last year that took out the original transfer and this one. Perhaps the first break cause some stress on the adapter, weakening it... with it finally snapping this time.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by Gordinho80 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:04 pm

My plan of attack:

Replace trans filter and seal, bolt the pan back up.
Replace adapter, I ordered the adapter and the seals for each end last night from gmpartsdirect.
Bolt TC back up and fill trans fluid.
With both drive shafts out, test the transmission and TC. I'd have someone start the truck and put it in gear while I inspect underneath.
If all looks well, replace U joints on the rear driveshaft again, put shafts back in and take it for a test drive around the block. Then go from there.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by Bcchevy » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:29 pm

Make sure you kill the engine before trying to shift any gears
No shafts no brakes to slow everything down. Up to u but I would do the rear shaft.

Sent From The Unit
Bcchevy
Off-Roader

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Gordinho80 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:38 pm

Noted... thanks Brian.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by Gordinho80 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:25 pm

OK! I think I have some good news!!!

I put the trans pan back on with a new filter and gasket today. Then I put the new adapter piece with new gaskets as well. Bolted the transfer case back on, put everything back together. Hooked up the front drive shaft and filled the trans with fluid. Fired up the truck, let the engine run a little to get fluids moving, put it in 4HI, stepped on the brake, and put it in reverse... eased off the brake, front rotors began spinning!!!! Tried in drive, all good there too!!!

:excited:

So I'll be picking up the new rear u joints tomorrow and throwing the rear shaft on. Then I'll put the wheels back on and take it for a test drive around the block.

Wish me luck!!!
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by navigator » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:38 pm

wow, that sounds awesome Mario!
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Bcchevy » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:16 am

Cool man good luck!
Bcchevy
Off-Roader