Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Transmission Downshift Issue

Something not working right?

by zpbitt » Sun May 12, 2013 1:54 am

My transmission has recently been reluctant to downshift. This issue seems to almost always present itself after hard acceleration. When it happens I'm lucky to get a downshift to 3rd even when I've come to a complete stop. If I downshift manually everything functions fine. It's only when left in drive that the downshifts will not occur. If I come to a complete stop an shift to park and then back to drive the transmission will downshift properly again (I think this always resolves the issue). I know that if I shift to park and restart the issue is always resolved.

I checked the transmission fluid about a month ago and the level and color was fine. This issue only arose about once a week at the time. Now it happens about every other day. As long as I don't get too deep into the gas pedal I don't have a problem. Not throwing any codes other than the one for my bad air pump.

Any thoughts? Could this be trans temp related from hard acceleration? Searched the OS for a while, the best thing I found was mention of a bad fan clutch, but it doesn't seem like a fit for my issue.
zpbitt
Cruiser

Name: Zach
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

Return to Troubleshooting