Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

My clunking rear end...

Something not working right?

by Gordinho80 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:42 pm

Well, just took off the fill plug to check the fluid level. I'm not low, thats for sure. Fluid starting coming out as soon as the plug came off.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Conner299 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:49 pm

navigator wrote:Bummer, too bad it wasn't that simple, hopefully it is something minor or gives you a good reason to make an upgrade! :flex dirty:

Yeah... I'm hoping it's nothing too major. This is my DD. On the flip-side tho, there are a couple of EXT axles I've been keeping my eye on.
I DON'T care what my GMT360 was designed to do, I care about what it can do!
Conner299
Addict

Name: Ed
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by Conner299 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:58 am

Well, today starts day two of replacing axle bearings and u joints(both shafts). Axle bearings seemed to be the general consensus between father in law and brother in law. Both former Legends racers, and the bro in law went to school for auto mechanics. Had some up and down play in the left side bearing, but diff guts looked good. Gear oil didn't smell burned up, but was rather thin.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
Conner299
Addict

by Conner299 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Well, the clunking in my video, is still there. Changed out both axle bearings, and the u-joints on the drive shaft. Didn't do the u-joint on the front prop shaft. Ran out of time. I can at least live with it, for now. Now that I know the rear diff isn't going to fall apart.
Conner299
Addict

by Conner299 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:17 pm

Here's an update, cause I know all of you just care sooo much. Ruled out the shock mounts today. Took the left shock completely off, and went for a test ride. Clunking still there. Got back to work, and did some investigating. While I was jumping on the rear, clunk was audible. Co-worker was doing some looking, during this. Think we have it narrowed down to sway bar end links. Kind of peeved if this is the case. Just put them on last fall, and have been greased with every oil change(4000k) and every time I'm underneath her. Going to disconnect the sway bay, and see if anything changes. If so, I'm seriously considering the sway bar delete modification. Now, before the next few statements are taken out of context, I'm not asking to be persuaded to do it or not. I will make my decision after seeing how it rides, and if it clears up my rear end clunking. What I'm asking is, what to expect from the ride in general. SUV's already have a modest amount of body roll, I understand this. I already take turns conservatively, anyways. I try to baby my tires as much as possible. Should I expect to be fighting this thing, all over the highway?
And to Gordinho... Didn't mean to hijack your thread. Just seemed better to keep this info all in one spot. Hope your issue has cleared up, as there have been no recent posts from you in this thread.
Conner299
Addict

by Gordinho80 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:21 pm

No hijack at at all. It is good to have all this info in one post.

I have not posted because I have not had time to look at anything.

I will say, my clunk occurs even without the rear sway bar links. I do not have the sway bar installed at all!
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by boog2006 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:07 pm

[quote="Conner299" I expect to be fighting this thing, all over the highway?
[/quote]

Removed mine and only notice it when towing.

Also, I changed lower shock bolts to half inch but failed to change the top. That's the source of my clunking.
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt. - Abraham Lincoln
Boog2006 Build Thread
boog2006
Addict

Name: Brent
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Conner299 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:15 pm

Well... After a 16 mile(12hghwy 4cty) ride home, not a single clunk. I believe the problem was the end links. I could feel a slight difference in the way she handled, but it was rather negligible. Not a lot of body roll on the turns, either. We have a pretty good wind blowing here, as well. Will ride around with it like this for awhile, and see if I like it. I see a sway bar storage shelf mod in my future, though. Just in case I want to sell it. :lol: Has anyone, that has done this, noticed any extra tire wear, at all? Curious about that.
Conner299
Addict

by JCrayton99 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 7:14 pm

I have a sound in my rear end, but I believe it is either U-joints or possibly the pinion. And looking for a new rear axle more seriously. As good a time as ever.
JCrayton99
Trail-Blazer

Name: John Crayton
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by v7guy » Fri Mar 22, 2013 11:19 am

no swaybar has no ill effects unless you drive it around like it's a sporty car. You'll fu(k up your tires more offroading than you will by doing anything else
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting