Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

My clunking rear end...

Something not working right?

by Gordinho80 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:23 pm

This clunking is very loud and annoying inside the car. I can't quite figure it out! Help!
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Conner299 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:10 pm

Man...This must be catching. I was just about to start up a thread about the exact same thing. It just started happening this week, and seems to be getting worse as the week goes on. I changed my pads and rotors last summer. Never had a problem, except for the occasional squeal when wet out. They have maybe 8K miles on them. Put my Marks 3" on at X-mas. No problems. The fluids have been changed, except for the rear diff. All I did was top that off, but it looked pretty good when I took a sample. Watching my video, I can see the washer on the inside lower shock mount is moving. The sound happens when hitting, and not hitting bumps, so I don't see that being the culprit. The only other thing I can possibly relate this to is I Plasti-Dipped my wheels this weekend. But I took the wheels completely off, and then put them back on, after.

Gordinho, is what you're hearing sound anything like whats happening on my video? The best clunks on this video happen between 1:40, and about 2:05. I also have another video I'm uploading, with even more clunking, but my FLIP is taking forever.

I DON'T care what my GMT360 was designed to do, I care about what it can do!
Conner299
Addict

Name: Ed
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by Gordinho80 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Yeah... sounds a little like mine there. If you grab the top of the rear wheel and shake it, pushing in toward the diff and pulling... do you hear your noise too?
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by Conner299 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:26 pm

I haven't taken the tire off, put I did put the a$$ in the air, yesterday. When I pulled out, and pushed in(TeeHee), I seemed to have about the same amount of play as you do. And sounded about the same as well. Its really freakin' me out(the sound when driving). All I can imagine is my axle and wheel flying out from under my truck.
Conner299
Addict

by Conner299 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:40 pm

Here's the other video I was talking about. Its about two minutes shorter, so a little more tolerable to watch. And a lot more examples. At one point, I make a pretty rough right turn, and no clunk-age. So, that's what has me confused. :wallbash: Doesn't seem to be suspension component related. And sway-bar bushings are newer as well.

Conner299
Addict

by Gordinho80 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:47 pm

disc off... you can see and hear... its definitely the axle
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by DirtyBacon04 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:51 pm

I've never rebuilt my rear axle, so I dont know if theres some clips or bushings that could be comin loose. Is it just that one side doing it? Do you have the original axle, or did you swap out to 8.6"? What kind of locker?
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Gordinho80 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:54 pm

Both sides are doing it...

8.6 rear that I picked up from Janesy last year after my G80 grenaded at TECORE. Powertrax No-Slip rear locker P/N 92-07863005
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by DirtyBacon04 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:01 pm

Shit, Mario. You're smarter than me with this stuff, but I can take a swing at it. I suppose you haven't popped off your axle cover yet. I'd pop that off and have someone move the hub so you can see whats happeneing in there. Maybe a pin thats wearing down, R&P messing up... If Ed's having the same problem, then I dont think it's the locker (i dont think Ed has a AM locker).
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by Conner299 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:04 pm

No... I have the original 8"rear end. No G80.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
Conner299
Addict

by Gordinho80 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:05 pm

That is the next step. Would have pulled diff cover today if I had fluid. Need to pick up a few quarts because I want to replace fluid in both diffs anyways. Also have to do my TC fluid...
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by DirtyBacon04 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:08 pm

You must've forgotten to feed the gerbils that are in there running things!! :facepalm:
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

by Wahugg » Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:10 pm

The axles should be able to be pushed in and out just a little bit. If you have excessive play in and out, then you have problems. Also, if your axle can go up or down, then you have a very worn axle bearing. I changed mine last week and it is about a 1.5 hour job.

I don't think it's possible to remove the C clips with out the carrier pin being removed. The C clip sit on the axle, and inside a lip on the side gears so that they are not removable unless you remove the carrier pin ad push the axle inward so the C clip is outside of the side gear lip

-Wahugg

Edit:

The play your axle has in and out in the second video is completely normal. That's what mine did on my 8.0, and that's what it does on my current 8.6. I think the clunk you hear is coming from elsewhere.
Wahugg
Addict

Name: Wahugg
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by Trail X » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:56 pm

I was about to say the same thing, that the axle play seems normal, but it does seem to be making a good bit of extra noise for some reason.

As was said before, is there any vertical or fore-aft play in the axle? Only axial play?

Does it make the same noise on the driver and passenger side? Or is it only on one side?

Is the sound emanating from the diff, or from the axle bearing area?

It almost sounds like its just an empty diff, thus the sound isn't getting deadened like it normally would. - that's just a stab in the dark though... it is odd.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

by Regulator1175 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:40 am

Not to raise any major alarms or anything, but this is exactly how mine looks and sounds like following my G80 grenading. I had to drive about 20 miles on it and could tell when the c clip let go of the passenger side axle. That is exactly what I was seeing and hearing.

Good luck, I hope it is an easier fix then my troubles.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do.
So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
- Mark Twain
--Build--
Regulator1175
Veteran

Name: Matthew McClelland
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by fishsticks » Fri Mar 15, 2013 2:20 am

That's normal axle play, especially if you have a No-Slip.

I had clunking noises coming from my rear end until recently, it was shock bushings.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny

by navigator » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:24 am

Ed, when I installed my new rear shocks, I didn't have enough washers and I had a clunking. I added a few washers and it cleared right up. I think I bought like 20 washers and needed 24 or something like that.
It is an easy thing to add a few washers and check. You might be able to just tighten the bolt with the BDS.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

by Gordinho80 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:40 am

Havent noticed any fluid leaks... but it makes sense. I'll be checking/changing the fluid this weekend.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

by Conner299 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:53 am

navigator wrote:Ed, when I installed my new rear shocks, I didn't have enough washers and I had a clunking. I added a few washers and it cleared right up. I think I bought like 20 washers and needed 24 or something like that.
It is an easy thing to add a few washers and check. You might be able to just tighten the bolt with the BDS.

Well... As I am at lunch, I added a washer and took her for a test drive. One washer was all that was needed to tighten her right up. No change in the clunking sound, at all. Also, checked all my other shock mounts, and they are tight and solid. No spinning washers. I will be getting a rear diff cover gasket, and opening her up this weekend. I checked the fluid on that, too. Still where it should be.
Conner299
Addict

by navigator » Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:12 pm

Conner299 wrote:
navigator wrote:Ed, when I installed my new rear shocks, I didn't have enough washers and I had a clunking. I added a few washers and it cleared right up. I think I bought like 20 washers and needed 24 or something like that.

Well... As I am at lunch, I added a washer and took her for a test drive. One washer was all that was needed to tighten her right up. No change in the clunking sound....

Bummer, too bad it wasn't that simple, hopefully it is something minor or gives you a good reason to make an upgrade! :flex dirty:
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006

Next

Return to Troubleshooting