Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Grinding/ humming noise, passenger side.

Something not working right?

by Opeth » Sun Feb 10, 2013 6:55 pm

This noise has been progressingly getting louder it seems since the lift and mud tire install. I thought it was just the wheel bearings at first since they are original, swapped them out with ebay specials and noise was gone for the drive to work the next day. On the way home, it was back again.

Noise is only present from what I think is the passenger side, I can only hear it with the windows up and it's loudest 20-30mph. After that, I can't hear it over the tires. Noise doesn't seem to change turning left or right. Cv shafts and disconnect have not been touched yet but are my next plan or attack. I played with the cv the other day but didn't really notice anything out of place, no thrown grease.

Only thing I can think of is when I did the bearing change I was pushing the cv back into its housing pretty good and lubed everything enough to rid the truck of noise for that short drive.

Thoughts? Going to start with new reman cv's.
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by navigator » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:39 pm

Have you checked to see if your rotors have a ridge of rust around the outer edge that could be rubbing?
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by Cable810 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:16 pm

^ I was thinking the same thing. I had the same issue but only when I would turn right. It would be loud when makeing a fast right trun and not even noticalbe when I made the right turn slow. Turned out I had rust build up on the rotor I had the shop clean them and the problem went away.
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by dvanbramer88 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:01 am

Check the rotor/backing plate rubbing.

Check brake warning clip isn't rubbing.

Do the veer test to see of you can change the sound by loading/unloading the weight on the right front.

Pull CV to confirm it isn't making the noise.

I've have had cheap wheel bearings crap out in short periods of time on other cars, and I feel like I've read around here that with the ebay specials; it wasn't that uncommon to get a new bad one.
Chevy Power!
Long live the Republic
"Violence is not always evil. The judicious use of violence and those willing to use it without hesitation is often all that stands between wolves and sheep."

Build Thread
dvanbramer88
Lifer

Name: Dave
Vehicle Year: 2002

by Opeth » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm

It's humming/ moaning sound like a bearing or the sound my mud tires make at highway speeds but only going 25mph. But I'm thinking maybe its the front rotors... My truck sat all week and the noise wasn't there again till I drove around. I'm wondering if its the caliper hanging up, the rotors didn't look the best when I did the bearings.

I have a week of vacation in march coming, I'll tear the front end apart then.
Opeth
Addict

Name: Cody

Return to Troubleshooting