Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Transfer Case Encoder Motor Diagnosis/How-To

Something not working right?

by arl120384 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:18 pm

Hey all,

I figured I would share a little how to on how to locate an internal problem with the TC encoder motor. Here is my story below, and following that is my diagnosis, and end successful result. I have gotten loads of info from this site, so I would like to give some of that back. It doesn't appear that anyone has dissected the EM yet. Please not, there are various things that can and will eventually go wrong inside the EM, most are unfixable because they do not part out the unit, but rather buy a new one. But should you have a spare, the parts are super easy to disassemble and re-install. I was lucky to be able to find and fix the problem.

PROBLEM

Over the summer I replaced my 4DW disconnect with the AWD collar gear, and rebuilt the disco, this solved all my problems that I had before. Due to the lack of off road opportunities in MA, we finally got snow this week, and I was able to play around with the 4WD last night. Everything worked flawlessly in 2HI, 4HI, and 4LO. I was screwing around, and switching back and forth to cycle the TC through it's paces.

I then decided to test the Auto function. I felt the TC engage when the wheels started to slip, but it it stuck in 4HI. I try and cycle through the selections on the switch, and the light just flashes for about 6 seconds, and returns to 4HI, no matter the switch position. I noticed that something sounds different on the TC when I select the switch. I think its the encoder motor, the round solenoid/motor that runs when you select the switch. This sounds different, and it doesn't sound like its disengaging the TC. It sounded like its under a heavy load and its trying to work, and makes 2 attempts to switch, then reverts back to its original setting (in this case 4HI). I tried jacking the front off the ground to take the load off, and smacking that motor with a dead blow hammer while switching through the gears and still no joy.

The transfer case, and 4WD fuses aren't blown, and I had a service 4WD light come on after I removed the fuse for 4WD in the back, and it concurrently went back out after I removed and replaced it again. So now theres no service lights, but its stuck in 4HI.

SOLUTION

Since I had the suspicion that it was the EM, I removed it today to take a closer look. I will assume that everyone up to this point can successfully get the EM off the TC. I didn't take any pics of that part. It's very easy, 4 bolts, and the wire harness, and is very openly accessible from the mid undercarriage area. I removed the EM, and because it was under a load, when I pulled it off the TC, there was excess torque stored, and it subsequently put the TC into neutral. I would suggest while you have the EM off, cycle through the 4WD switch, and ensure that the motor turns. This will be easily identified by the gear at the flush end moving slightly.

Once off the TC, the rest is rather simple. There is a plastic/rubber gasket that is on the front, which can be removed by some set clips that must be unclipped. This appears to be a reusable gasket.

See Picture #1
IMG_3073.jpg
Picture #1

Next step is to remove the cylindrical cover that houses the actual motor. This has two torx screws. THis cover should pop off of a blue O-ring. THere may be some resistance, as the cover is lined with 4 magnets for the motor. You can now pry at the seam of the motor, and remove it from the planetary gear set. The motor itself is plugged into the power cable housed in the inner wall of the gear sets. Pull the motor off until it unplugs, at this point the plug is the only thing securing it in the housing. Once removed, there will be a thin thrust washer that lays on top of the gears, remove and set aside.

See Picture #2
IMG_3082.jpg
Picture #2

At this point, you can see inside the planetary gear set-up. There are 4 sets of reduction gear, ranging from small at the top, to big at the bottom. These are easy to remove, as they are stacked in order of size. As you can see, for all 4 layers of gears, there are 4 gears, and one plate that they all sit on, on a post. Beneath this plate, is another fixed gear that sits inside the next stack of 4 below it. This will be become more clear once you open it up. Keep all 4 sets of gears/plates set aside once you remove them.

See Picture #3
IMG_3080.jpg
Picture #3

While taking the gear sets out, you should be able to see whether or not there is something wrong/broken/cracked, or otherwise keeping the innards from moving. In my case, everything moved as it should have, all the way down to the base gear. I put a little bit of grease back on each layer, and reassembled in reverse order.

See Pictures #4-6
Last edited by arl120384 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mods - Jettstream HID Fogs/Headlights, MarkMC 2.5" Lift, Quad Tail, 265/65 Tires, Sub/AMP, Custom Stereo/Radio, Bravada Disco Collar Gear Install, Cardone Axles, 1.5" Spacers

Future - Raptor Liner Rockers/Bumpers, LED Exterior/Interior Lighting
arl120384
Cruiser

Name: Alex
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by arl120384 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:20 pm

IMG_3079.jpg
Picture #4

IMG_3075.jpg
Picture #5

IMG_3074.jpg
Picture #6
Last edited by arl120384 on Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mods - Jettstream HID Fogs/Headlights, MarkMC 2.5" Lift, Quad Tail, 265/65 Tires, Sub/AMP, Custom Stereo/Radio, Bravada Disco Collar Gear Install, Cardone Axles, 1.5" Spacers

arl120384
Cruiser

by arl120384 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:22 pm

At this time I re-focused my attention on the motor. It moved freely, but I remembered that when I removed the cover, one of the magnets was stuck to the motor, and the other 3 remained on the inside of the cover. I didn't think this was odd at first, because I thought that the magnets were simply stuck to the cover via magnetic force. Upon closer inspection, the rest of the magnets were glued, and this one had become dislodged from the case, perhaps when the AWD locked the rear wheels in. There were several fragments of magnet inside the cover that had chipped off the dislodged one. I have to assume at this point, that the magnet became dislodged, and jammed the motor, preventing it from changing back to 2HI.

See Picture #7-8

IMG_3084.jpg
Picture #8

IMG_3083.jpg
Picture #7

At this point, I cleaned out the cover of all magnet particulate. I kept the broken magnet out of the equation, as I did not want to use a crappy glue, and have this happen all over again. I reassembled the encoder motor without the missing magnet, and hoped for the best.

I then lined up the gear on the motor, to the stud on the TC, and reinstalled the motor. NOTE: As you can see in some pictures, the EM and TC will not line up if the half moon indent on both gears are not aligned. While playing around with the motor dissembled, mine were 180 degrees off. If this happens to you, don't worry. All you have to do, is take the cover off again, and tighten up a drill chuck to the stud on the motor, and rotate the base gear via the drill until it is properly aligned as you wish.

I hope this helps at least someone here. I'm sure the magnet isn' the culprit most of the time, but as you can see, if you are able to get a bad EM and part it out, it's pretty easy to piece back together.

Once re-istalled, it worked great. And I cycled through all the modes without a problem. Now NEVER to use AWD again!

Enjoy!

arl120384
Cruiser

by The Roadie » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:05 pm

You rock, Alex!!! Thanks so much.

An amazing coincidence, but I had this exact problem with an electric trailer jack motor about 15 years ago. I had an Atwood jack unit, and it jammed taking my Trailmanor off the WD hitch. After using another jack to get it off, I took the motor apart and found it had a loose permanent magnet sector as well. This one only had two magnets, so I thought it was too marginal to try taking it out permanently. I was going to be at that campsite for three days, so I used JB Weld I always have in stock, and that repair has lasted all this time.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by fishsticks » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:24 pm

Well done! :cheers:

I've had an issue with my xfer case not wanting to shift into 4HI (2HI and 4LO are fine) and figured something was amiss inside the motor. This will be handy when I finally tear into mine.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Karo » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:37 am

Alex thank's for your write up, really excellent! Even after years comes good information from the community members.
KaRo
Karo
Trail-Blazer

Name: Karsten
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by v7guy » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:23 am

Yeah buddy, that is a pretty good write up. Thank ya sir.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

by arl120384 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:29 am

Thanks guys, and happy New Years! Typically I lurk for the good info, but I found that this topic has been talked about, but not really tackled. Like I said, the chances
of it being the magnet? Probably slim, but I attribute that to a year of banging the endoder motor with a dead blow back when I thought that was my problem, little did I know it was my disconnect. Hope it helps someone, and thanks to everyone else for their great info on here. And for those with EM problems, based on my dissection, getting angry with the motor and banging it like I did years before can only seem to vent steam, and won't appear to loosen up the motor.

arl120384
Cruiser

Return to Troubleshooting