Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Front suspension popping

Something not working right?

by Moots1288 » Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:51 pm

I've tightened my strut mounts over the torque spec multiple times and got a whole new assembly and I can't get rid of the squeak I am goin to try to put a gasket above and below the top spacer. Moog springs will be a lot easier on the spacer and probably give you a less of a chance of having as many problems as I have.
Moots1288
Veteran

Name: Moots
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by v7guy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:13 am

You should probably flip the arms and get it re-aligned soon, it'll help a lot with the ball joint angle.
Since we don't know what springs you have on the truck it's hard to advise you in any direction.

The way I see it, you got 4 choices

1. Put your stock springs back in. Springs that are too stiff and top out the shock hard can be very bad.
2. Get the Moog springs (if I remember right they were equivalent to 86s or 87s). Your still going to top out frequently, but it shouldn't break and you'll be able to do armor without significant sag
3. Leave it alone. If the shocks break, the springs you have are probably 89s and you know to put in stock springs or the Moogs.
4. Get a bumper made locally (BartonMD isn't taking orders) and buy some skids. Then the front will sag enough it'll stop topping out all the time.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by c bausch » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:57 am

I would get moog springs but i have no idea witch ones to get , im not sure if stock springs would bottom out my truck or not but its prob a nicer ride
c bausch
Off-Roader

Name: chris
Vehicle Year: 2007

by c bausch » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:09 am

V7guy: any idea what the part numbers are to equal a 86 spring? Ill give then a shot , also would it be a good idea to grease or lube the strut mount to stop squeaking or just leave it alone?
c bausch
Off-Roader

Name: chris
Vehicle Year: 2007

by v7guy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:52 am

You won't bottom out with stock springs, they should be softer, but there's no way to know for sure unless you find a tag with a part number on your installed springs.

Maybe the 81110 moog spring. You're going to have to read here a bit
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3273
That was the first thread that came to mind, there may be some more. The search function is definitely your friend.

There hasn't been many guys that have tried em. You're gonna have to bite the bullet and try something new if you do.

I would avoid any petroleum products on the strut mount because it'll degrade the rubber bushing.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting