Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

SOLVED - odd rattle from passenger side - wheel bearing

Something not working right?

by navigator » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:48 pm

Hi folks, I'm a little late getting an alignment and my front tires are wearing a little uneven, getting a little noise.
I've been waiting on replacing the struts to get an alignment. I noticed the past couple times I drove I was getting a rattling but the tires were roaring so bad I couldn't really hear it that well.
Yesterday I replaced the struts and rotated my tires and I can still hear the rattling.
The rattling seems consistent at about 38, 48 and 52 mph. It seems to increase with speed. It doesn't seem to make a noticeable difference if I am accelerating or decelerating or turning in a curve.
It is coming from my front passenger side. Everything i can see and grab under there is tight. I do notice it seems that the passenger CV axle has a little more play than the driver side if I try to wiggle it. I'm thinking that outer bearing in my disconnect is going/gone. I haven't had any issues with 4WD yet that I am aware of.

I've read through several of the disconnect threads and thing this is my problem but want a few opinions before I tear into it. I'm expecting I'll find I at least need an outer bearing and seal, maybe more.

I took a little video of the noise to see if any of you can recognize the rattle.
Notice the noise at the 10,39,46,1:04,1:26 and 1:35 marks.
After spending all day yesterday replacing the struts and flipping the UCA's, I dread the thought of tearing into my disconnect.

Last edited by navigator on Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:54 am

Sounds more like a heat shield rattle to me.

I did have a rattle in my disconnect, but it was only noticeable with windows down, and seemed to happen only at lower speed.

You can inspect your outer-most bearing without removing the disconnect. Just remove the CV. If it's crushed, missing rollers, or dry, it could be the culprit.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by navigator » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:33 am

thanks James, I had the windows down. You can barely hear it with the windows up.
Hopefully it is just the heat shield but it is very consistent at certain speeds.
I get no noise until I get about 35, I hear it from about 35-38 and 45-48 and then from about 52-53.
I've not been any faster.
I'll check the shield see if it is loose.
I need to pull the CV and grease that bearing anyway.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Stoked » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:41 am

Check that the transmission cooler lines are snapped into place behind the radiator (passenger side).
Stoked
Off-Roader

Name: Juan
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD

by bgwolfpack » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:12 pm

This sounds and acts like a rattle, not anything bad. (Remember, my ears are worse then your audio.)

I had one sort of like this that drove me crazy for a few miles once, turned out to be a large piece of gravel sitting on top of the muffler.

Good luck, hope it's nothing. :)
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by navigator » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:25 pm

ok, the heat shield is solid and the tranny lines appear to be snapped in place.
They have very little wiggle when I shake them.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by navigator » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:27 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:This sounds and acts like a rattle, not anything bad. (Remember, my ears are worse then your audio.)

I had one sort of like this that drove me crazy for a few miles once, turned out to be a large piece of gravel sitting on top of the muffler.

Good luck, hope it's nothing. :)

it could be something like that but the "rattle" sounds rotational in nature if that makes any sense.
If I shake the CV lightly it seems pretty tight but If I give it a good shake it does have some play in it.

Could a bad alignment cause it?
If I get it aligned and have to pull the splined disconnect out will I have to get it re-aligned?
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Trail X » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:59 pm

Take a video of the CV shaft when you shake it. Sometimes it's the best way to visualize things.

I don't see any way that an alignment could create a rattle.

You will not have to get it realigned. The only things that MAY require alignment are changes to the UCA, LCA, tie rods or ride height. The disconnect has no bearing on the position that the wheels are held.
Trail X
Founder

by navigator » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:36 pm

thanks James, I didn't think so but couldn't remember if I had to pull out the spring/strut to get the axle out or not.
We have to go to town today, I was thinking about dropping it off to get an alignment. I might wait a week or so for things to settle, re-tighten and then do it.
In the mean time I'll try to figure out what the rattle is.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Trail X » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:09 pm

Even if you did have to pull the strut (which may make it easier for you!) you wouldn't need to do an alignment. You wouldn't be changing anything.
Trail X
Founder

by navigator » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:40 pm

I pulled the wheels off today and tried shaking my axles, they are both really tight side to side. The only real play seems to be if I shake from the disconnect toward the hub (in and out) which I expect.
I tried checking the wheel bearings but there was no real play like I have seen in jeeps. When turning the wheels by hand the only thing I could hear sounded like the pads on the rotor. I pulled my passenger side hub off anyway.
When I spin it I can tell there is a little more resistance and not a smooth as I would expect and I expect with the weight of the vehicle it would be worse.

I searched through some threads here and ended up ordering a set(2) of hubs with the ABS sensors from an ebay dealer for $76. I know they are cheap, but the seller had like 91k reviews and like 99.8% were positive. When looking over the ebay negs for the seller most were the person ordering the wrong part anyway. I'll give them a try and see if that solves my issue and let everyone know.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Nakashige » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:56 am

I have that same rattle after replacing my disconnect and actuator
Nakashige
Vendor

Name: Ben Caesar
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Trail X » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:46 am

Chris, I hope those help you, but honestly that sound didn't sound like a wheel bearing.
Trail X
Founder

by navigator » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:56 pm

yeah, I don't think so either. I had been getting a roaring that has been getting worse. I could tell my tires were wearing uneven and needed rotating. Since I replaced my struts though and rotated tires I can still hear the roaring coming from the front, the rear is pretty quiet. I'm pretty sure the rattling isn't my bearings but I think they are going as well.

When I had the passenger hub off I shook the axle good and there was really no side to side play in it. I might pull it when my hubs come in and take a further look to see if I can tell anything. I need to go read up on pulling the axle because it wouldn't just slide out like the jeeps would.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by navigator » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:33 pm

ok, the new bearings solved all of my odd noises, my TB sounds like new again.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by DirtyBacon04 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:16 pm

glad to hear, chris. This thread, hopefully, will empower others to properly diagnose their own discrepency, and not have to bug everyone when the answers are right in front of them. Great thread.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004

by navigator » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:03 am

just an update, I put on the eBay hubs(from autoandart) in late Jan/Early Feb of 2012 and I think they are roaring again, time for another set. I expect I have about 15-18k miles or so pretty easy miles on them.
I now see them as cheap as $72 for a pair on ebay. At <$75 per pair, I think I will keep using them and change them every year if needed.
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by Gordinho80 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:11 am

I've got those hubs in my fronts as well. They wear out kind of quick, like you said. I also have the big 33s on my wheels, which doesn't help them last any longer.

I'm due to replace mine again... Rock Auto has cheapos for $50 each... and Timkens for $140 each.

The question is... will the Timkens last 4 times longer than the eBay units? I don't know.
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by navigator » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:19 am

Gordinho80 wrote:I've got those hubs in my fronts as well. They wear out kind of quick, like you said. I also have the big 33s on my wheels, which doesn't help them last any longer.

I'm due to replace mine again... Rock Auto has cheapos for $50 each... and Timkens for $140 each.

The question is... will the Timkens last 4 times longer than the eBay units? I don't know.

My thoughts exactly...
here
My Build Thread
navigator

by The Roadie » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:52 am

I guess nobody's worried that the cheap ones might die DURING an expedition and let the wheel fall off? You might carry spare hubs, but do you have enough lug nuts and a spare spacer/adapter when the outer race breaks off and takes the goodies with it and the tire rolls off a mountain?
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

Next

Return to Troubleshooting