Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

electrical issue

Something not working right?

by TangoBravo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:35 pm

So the wife was driving the TB yesterday and told me the the guage clusters all went dead, the radio got interrupted but stayed on. However the time went to 12:00. My stations stayed programmed and everything did fix its self. But today after I corrected the time it got messed up again. I checked all the obvious things and just can't figure it out. Everything works fine as of now but I would like to fix the problem. Anyone have suggestions?
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

Name: Robert
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by rjpoog1989 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 pm

I've had this same problem for a while. It does it once every month or so, resets the clock and whatnot. Still searching for clues towards the answer...
Ryan

Rule #76: "No excuses, play like a champion"
rjpoog1989
Off-Roader

Name: Ryan Papuga
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by TangoBravo » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:52 pm

Ok well I guess I will keep an eye on it. Untill we can get it figured out.
Scouts Out, Carbon County Search and Rescue/Carbon County volunteer firefighter.

Ams oil products bumper to bumper, Treadwright Guard Dogs, 3 inch suspension lift, 3 inch body lift 1.5" spacers, swaybar trashcan mod, quad headlight mod
TangoBravo
Addict

by The Roadie » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:04 pm

My spidey-sense smells ignition switch.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by TangoBravo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:43 am

The Roadie wrote:My spidey-sense smells ignition switch.

That could cause the clock to 0 out and the gauges to malfunction? I don't know much about vehicle electronics. Also is there a way to test the ignition switch myself?

TangoBravo
Addict

by bgwolfpack » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:52 am

TangoBravo wrote:
The Roadie wrote:My spidey-sense smells ignition switch.

That could cause the clock to 0 out and the gauges to malfunction? I don't know much about vehicle electronics. Also is there a way to test the ignition switch myself?
You may not want to question theroadie advice on this subject. He's posted about this subject one or two times on the OS. :cheers: He also can tell you what brand to buy and from whom or link you to ebay if willing. :work:
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy
Vehicle Year: Other

by TangoBravo » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Of course this is the roadie were talking about ( palm to face). So i will look into how to test the ignition switch then. Thanks for the advice guys.

TangoBravo
Addict

by The Roadie » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:33 pm

For the $30 it will cost at the aftermarket stores, it's pretty much not worth your time to try to test it. Unless the intermittent failure turns into a permanent one. The failure rate is horrible, and if it's not dead now it will be later on, and I predict it will be 20 miles from pavement. It's even more vitally important for an offroader to have a reliable switch than a mall queen. I changed mine out when it showed the FIRST hint of failure, and I bought a spare on Ebay for $5 and carry that around to sell for $100 to somebody who didn't carry their own spare 20 miles from pavement. :finger:

But if you DO want to throw a voltmeter on it:

RED on the ignition switch is 12V, fused by underhood fuse #34, and feeds the following three circuits:

White is hot in ACCY, RUN, START
Orange is hot in RUN
Yellow is hot in START

RED/WHITE is another 12V, fused by underhood fuse #36, and feeds two circuits:

Brown is hot in ACCY, RUN
Pink is hot in RUN, START

That said, you could always have a flaky battery or fuse block wiring, because the radio does NOT have switchte power. It gets fed straight from the battery and gets turned on and off by a data packet from the BCM.

But unless and until you have a known-good ignition switch, the fault could be as subtle as the ignition switch confusing the BCM and causing an odd reset.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by rjpoog1989 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:38 pm

I will be looking into this as well. The ignition switch is a probably my issue, based on other problems I've had with the vehicle, it makes complete sense! :D

Thanks all!
Ryan

Rule #76: "No excuses, play like a champion"
rjpoog1989
Off-Roader

Name: Ryan Papuga
Vehicle Year: 2005

by TangoBravo » Sun Apr 17, 2011 12:29 am

Yeah that's awsome details Roadie thanks. I think I will do the smart thing and just replace it. where I do most of my wheeling is an hour and a half down an unmaintained paved road just to get to the first trailhead. So needless to say even if I broke down on the pavement there is still nothing around.

TangoBravo
Addict

Return to Troubleshooting