Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Front Axle Engagement question

Something not working right?

by rgraboske » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:02 pm

The roads here are icey, so I've been playing a little today. I'm noticing something that I noticed last year, but can't remember if it's "normal" or not.

Before asking I will state that other than fluids and front axles, all switches, etc are from the factory. I'm on a 50,000 mile fluid replacement plan, so the transfer case and transmission were just serviced (with the correct stuff), and the front diff has about 49K miles since servicing. I have the new fluids in the garage, just need the time to replace them.

Anyway, here's what I notice. On an icey street, start it up, move the transfer case selector to 4W-High, lights move over, etc, put it in gear, press the accelerator, rear tires spin, clunk from front end, then front axles engage. After the first clunk, front axles stay engaged with no further clunking.

It's been doing this for at least a year. I don't remember it doing it before that, but I can't say I paid much attention.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.
rgraboske
Trail-Blazer

Name: Rob Graboske
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:41 pm

The front axle disconnect gears do not always align when sitting still.

Once your rear wheels spin, it allows the intermediate shaft to spin (because fronts are not moving) and aligns the gears. Once the gears align, the engagement collar will slip into place, and you will have front end engagement.

My suggested method for switching from 2HI to 4 something, is to engage when stopped or going very slow - then creep forward and turn the wheel left to right until you feel engagement.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by rgraboske » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:03 pm

Makes sense. Thank you
rgraboske
Trail-Blazer