Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

This Knock is Driving Me Nuts

Something not working right?

by kodachrome9319 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:54 am

Well, the dealership called earlier telling me I should head over... They found the knock to be nothing good... The service advisor/writer said it's most likely a spun bearing and it either threw a rod or is close to doing so. So, it'll be in for a week or more, they're going to tear the engine down tomorrow and have the warranty folks come and take a look. (Already got my lie ready if they ask why it had no oil, I'm using the go up a hill and being starved of oil thing),

If they decide to cover it under warranty, they then can figure out whether to just ship in new parts and rebuild, or send in a low-mileage engine to swap. If not under warranty, I guess I get an early Christmas present from the family.....
kodachrome9319

Name: Steven Welch
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by fishsticks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:00 am

kodachrome9319 wrote:Well, the dealership called earlier telling me I should head over... They found the knock to be nothing good... The service advisor/writer said it's most likely a spun bearing and it either threw a rod or is close to doing so. So, it'll be in for a week or more, they're going to tear the engine down tomorrow and have the warranty folks come and take a look. (Already got my lie ready if they ask why it had no oil, I'm using the go up a hill and being starved of oil thing),

If they decide to cover it under warranty, they then can figure out whether to just ship in new parts and rebuild, or send in a low-mileage engine to swap. If not under warranty, I guess I get an early Christmas present from the family.....

My experience with dealerships is they just throw a new short/longblock at it. Most don't have the time/skill to do a rebuild in-house.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Trail X » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:51 am

It didn't have oil?

(I also merged this thread with the old one, since the old one had the initial troubleshooting and symptom data. - We try to keep it all linked for ease of future searches.)
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005

by kodachrome9319 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:40 pm

JamesDowning wrote:It didn't have oil?

It had oil, just not very much... (Flame away)
kodachrome9319

by tbangert » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Like how much is not very much? If you were only down 1 quart that shouldnt have spun a bearing.
MarcMC - Bilstien - BDS - WheelAdapters - Treadwright - K&N - Gibson - Hayden - Zone
My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

Name: Tyler

by kodachrome9319 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:02 pm

tbangert wrote:Like how much is not very much? If you were only down 1 quart that shouldnt have spun a bearing.

Like, maybe a quart left... Nothing we can do now, except hope that the warranty will cover it.
kodachrome9319

by fishsticks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:11 pm

kodachrome9319 wrote:Like, maybe a quart left...

:scratch:

Our engines hold 7 quarts of oil. How does something like this happen? Do you have a oil spot the size of Lake Michigan on your driveway??
fishsticks

by tbangert » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:16 pm

kodachrome9319 wrote:
tbangert wrote:Like how much is not very much? If you were only down 1 quart that shouldnt have spun a bearing.

Like, maybe a quart left... Nothing we can do now, except hope that the warranty will cover it.

I hate to say it, but if they send some techs to look at it and tear it apart any, they will see signs of oil starvation and probably wont cover it with the warranty. How did you not notice the oil being low??? Checking oil level should be done regularly so things like this don't happen.
MarcMC - Bilstien - BDS - WheelAdapters - Treadwright - K&N - Gibson - Hayden - Zone
My Build Thread
tbangert
Off-Roader

Name: Tyler

by kodachrome9319 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:46 pm

tbangert wrote:I hate to say it, but if they send some techs to look at it and tear it apart any, they will see signs of oil starvation and probably wont cover it with the warranty. How did you not notice the oil being low??? Checking oil level should be done regularly so things like this don't happen.

Hence my story about going up the hills, our engines get starved for oil. And yes, I know, its my fault, but this isn't a flame war about me.
kodachrome9319

by fishsticks » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:55 pm

kodachrome9319 wrote:
tbangert wrote:I hate to say it, but if they send some techs to look at it and tear it apart any, they will see signs of oil starvation and probably wont cover it with the warranty. How did you not notice the oil being low??? Checking oil level should be done regularly so things like this don't happen.

Hence my story about going up the hills, our engines get starved for oil. And yes, I know, its my fault, but this isn't a flame war about me.

Best of luck, but I don't think that defense is going to hold water. I've been in the oil starved situation. 1. It takes a hell of an incline (more than you're going to see on any paved road) to starve the pump on a full crankcase motor. 2. When it does happen, your dash will immediately light up like a Christmas tree, the chime will ding and if you have the DIC you will be instructed to stop the motor. That's a lot to ignore.
fishsticks

by Trail X » Wed Dec 08, 2010 8:32 am

kodachrome9319 wrote:Hence my story about going up the hills, our engines get starved for oil. And yes, I know, its my fault, but this isn't a flame war about me.

But if you go up a hill the oil doesn't shoot out the tailpipe... where did yours go? How did you end up with one quart left - and where did the other 6 go?!
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing

Previous

Return to Troubleshooting