Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rear shock install HELP!!!!

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by aaronrules » Thu May 20, 2010 9:58 am

So this is going to be a very noob question, but I can't wrap my brain around it. I am in the middle of installing my BDS 5500 series shocks since I figured it would easy...pretty much is easy...even without taking the TB off the ground, just got it sitting there on all fours.

Okay the question is, where do all the washers go? I have the rubber bushing in the shock, then on the top, I have two big washers on the outside of the bushing with the metal rod in the middle. My question is the bottom. It looks like the shock is going slide back and forth on the metal rod. Do I put the two smaller bushings/ spacers on the longer one? the kit only came with three washers also.

i have stared at the pics and instructions as well as searched EVERYWHERE here and the OS as well online, but I can't find either pictures or just a straight up answer. How do I put the bottom of shock onto the truck with the supplied spacers/washer?

Please excuse this question...I know it's probably elementary, but I work on A-10's not so much work on vehicles...please help my guys...the truck is sitting there with only one OEM shock installed on the rear...and I gotta go eat lunch with my boy today at his school!
Lift, shocks, wheels and tires installed...need some armor now.
aaronrules
Off-Roader

Name: Aaron
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by MrSmithsTB » Thu May 20, 2010 10:11 am

Can you throw up some pics of what you are talking about? From what I remember installing Mooseknuckles 9500s, the rubber bushings were all the same and slid in first. There should be two short sleeves and two long sleeves(the metal cylinders that slide into the bushing). We put the short sleeves up top and the long sleeves at the bottom and used the factory shock bolts and the install was done.
back in the saddle
TB BUILD
MrSmithsTB
Veteran

Name: Bob
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: AWD w/ G80

by aaronrules » Thu May 20, 2010 10:12 am

Looking at the BDS website for instrucions on how to install the 55619 shock, it shows that there are 4 washer...both of mine came with three
aaronrules
Off-Roader

by fishsticks » Thu May 20, 2010 10:12 am

I wondered this too when I got mine...couldn't find a definitive answer.

I ended up with this.

Ring - Washer - Washer - Shock Bushing - Washer - Ring

...on the tube.

Zero problems so far.
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by aaronrules » Thu May 20, 2010 10:23 am

I am idiot...cant figure out the picture posting crap! Trying...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/60573549@N00/4624437346

Admin Add:
Last edited by Trail X on Thu May 20, 2010 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Added picture
aaronrules
Off-Roader

by aaronrules » Thu May 20, 2010 10:27 am

Well that link gets to the flickr that i posted the pics...nothing is tight...just threw it up to look at it. no washer or spacers installed at...i was going to let you guys look at it at see what you think....in a couple pics I moved the shock on the spacer on the bottom to show you what I am concered about.
aaronrules
Off-Roader

by aaronrules » Thu May 20, 2010 10:31 am

fishsticks wrote:I wondered this too when I got mine...couldn't find a definitive answer.

I ended up with this.

Ring - Washer - Washer - Shock Bushing - Washer - Ring

...on the tube.

Zero problems so far.

No washers on the top? and the spacers/rings are really tight to fit on the tube huh?
aaronrules
Off-Roader

by The Roadie » Thu May 20, 2010 10:33 am

If you didn't get the right hardware, the BDS guy is a vendor/member here and I'm SURE will make it right ASAP. We're much more open to vendors for functional offreaders than the greedy OS.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by aaronrules » Thu May 20, 2010 10:34 am

The Roadie wrote:If you didn't get the right hardware, the BDS guy is a vendor/member here and I'm SURE will make it right ASAP. We're much more open to vendors for functional offreaders than the greedy OS.

Yeah looks like both of the shocks I got BDS 55619 only have three washers...looking around the house now for something to use for now...gotta hurry!!!
aaronrules
Off-Roader

by fishsticks » Thu May 20, 2010 10:38 am

Interesting that I only got three washers as well. As I remember it I don't think there wasn't any more room for another washer either...

Hmmm...
11 Silverado LTZ - 6.2L/6l80, 2/3 drop, self tuned
85 Hilux - 3RZ, dual cases, caged, 40s, chromo everything
02 TrailBlazer LTZ - 35s, lockers, balls - Gone but not forgotten - Build
fishsticks

Name: Donny
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by irishboy02 » Thu May 20, 2010 12:29 pm

My 9500s only have 3 - mooseknuckles came with 3 as well
Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18x9 MotoMetal 962
irishboy02
Addict

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005

by Zero » Thu May 20, 2010 1:09 pm

i think you should do whatever you can to get that shock centered. also send a PM to our bds guy, he should be able to clarify things.
Zero
Veteran

Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by bgwolfpack » Thu May 20, 2010 1:20 pm

Remember these are not made specifically for our trucks. Just a, this will work sorta deal to help us out and sell more shocks. There should be 4 washers per side and if we need to stretch the mount out a little, as Roadie did, than so be it. But my impression was these fit with the proper hardware not washers thrown in a kit.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by Zero » Thu May 20, 2010 1:58 pm

Please correct me if I am wrong, but isnt this guy installing a set of 5500 series BDS shocks? if so, then you are wrong. The BDS stuff is made for our trucks. Even specifically valved for our trucks. Unless I overlooked a post that stated he was using a random set of 5500.
Zero
Veteran

by bgwolfpack » Thu May 20, 2010 2:07 pm

Zero wrote:Please correct me if I am wrong, but isnt this guy installing a set of 5500 series BDS shocks? if so, then you are wrong. The BDS stuff is made for our trucks. Even specifically valved for our trucks. Unless I overlooked a post that stated he was using a random set of 5500.

You may be right Zero. But I highly doubt that these shocks are purpose built for our trucks. Only utilized from an inventory to BDS from the manufacturer.

Let me make this clear, I will be buying a set of BDS shocks. I have no problem with them. Only that we install them and see the little problems and talk about it. They just send them out and call it good. It up to us to install them properly and make sure we use the correct parts to do so even if they (BDS) doesn't send them to us.
bgwolfpack
Veteran

Name: Randy

by aaronrules » Thu May 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Got it installed. Didn't use any washer on the top mount, just squeezed the mount basically onto the shock. And on the bottom I did all three washers and the two bushings. Drove it about 30 miles and don't see any apparent damage or moving...I would just feel better if there were washers for the top mount next to the bushings, and one more on the bottom like the roadie's...I might let it eat this way...but the PM is going to be sent to BDS rep right after I post this, just to see what the deal is.
aaronrules
Off-Roader

by BDS Suspension » Thu May 20, 2010 4:34 pm

aaronrules wrote:Got it installed. Didn't use any washer on the top mount, just squeezed the mount basically onto the shock. And on the bottom I did all three washers and the two bushings. Drove it about 30 miles and don't see any apparent damage or moving...I would just feel better if there were washers for the top mount next to the bushings, and one more on the bottom like the roadie's...I might let it eat this way...but the PM is going to be sent to BDS rep right after I post this, just to see what the deal is.

You have it on there right. When we made some changes late last year to these shocks we also changed the bushings that are supplied. The current urethane bushings are physically wider then the bushings we used to supply with the shocks a year or so ago. The new bushing don't require spacer washers at the top mount and only require 3 at the bottom. Those of you that only receive 3 washers have the new, wider bushing. Nothing wrong with the old way, just a couple less washers are necessary.

Just to review, the lower mounting configuration is washer, spacer, washer, bushing, washer, spacer....Or spacer, washer, washer, bushing, washer, spacer. Either one works, all that matters is all the parts are in there and there are washers on each side of the bushing.

Hopefully that clears it up guys, let me know if you have more questions.

Matt
BDS
http://www.bds-suspension.com
Use it, Abuse it...that's what it's made for!
Best and Only "No Fine Print" Warranty in the business!
BDS Suspension
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2003

by aaronrules » Thu May 20, 2010 4:36 pm

BDS Suspension wrote:
aaronrules wrote:Got it installed. Didn't use any washer on the top mount, just squeezed the mount basically onto the shock. And on the bottom I did all three washers and the two bushings. Drove it about 30 miles and don't see any apparent damage or moving...I would just feel better if there were washers for the top mount next to the bushings, and one more on the bottom like the roadie's...I might let it eat this way...but the PM is going to be sent to BDS rep right after I post this, just to see what the deal is.

You have it on there right. When we made some changes late last year to these shocks we also changed the bushings that are supplied. The current urethane bushings are physically wider then the bushings we used to supply with the shocks a year or so ago. The new bushing don't require spacer washers at the top mount and only require 3 at the bottom. Those of you that only receive 3 washers have the new, wider bushing. Nothing wrong with the old way, just a couple less washers are necessary.

Just to review, the lower mounting configuration is washer, spacer, washer, bushing, washer, spacer....Or spacer, washer, washer, bushing, washer, spacer. Either one works, all that matters is all the parts are in there and there are washers on each side of the bushing.

Hopefully that clears it up guys, let me know if you have more questions.

Matt
BDS

Fantastic! thanks for the help guys! Seriously...you all are awesome!
aaronrules
Off-Roader

by BDS Suspension » Thu May 20, 2010 4:43 pm

bgwolfpack wrote:
Let me make this clear, I will be buying a set of BDS shocks. I have no problem with them. Only that we install them and see the little problems and talk about it. They just send them out and call it good. It up to us to install them properly and make sure we use the correct parts to do so even if they (BDS) doesn't send them to us.

It is our intention and goal that all of our products are supplied with everything you need to install them properly...unless we note otherwise. These shocks are no exception. Aside from your stock mounting bolts the BDS shocks will come with everything needed to install them properly. If anybody ever runs across something that doesn't seem right or may be missing just contact our tech department @ tech@bds-suspension.com or call 517-279-2135. Unlike a lot of other companies we actually answer our phones and email and do it quickly. Forums like this are a great source of information and in most cases will get you a valid answer in a short period of time but if you are really in need please get ahold of us too. In most cases we can save you a lot of headaches and clear stuff up quickly.
http://www.bds-suspension.com
Use it, Abuse it...that's what it's made for!
Best and Only "No Fine Print" Warranty in the business!
BDS Suspension
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Matt
Vehicle Year: 2003

by Zero » Thu May 20, 2010 5:46 pm

Finally a company that stand behind their product and gives a damn when people need help.
Zero
Veteran

Next

Return to Lifts / Suspension