Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Rear suspension question.....

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by NHARINTON » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:03 am

So I have not seen this brought up before. After looking at a pictuer of JD's rear ( :friday: ) I noticed a cheaper way (maybe) of getting our rear end up!

Why not just cut the rear shock mount and move it up 1'', 2'' or whatever height needed? Seems simple to me..... but I am no suspension expert.....

Picture cause I want to draw in paint...

Am I just crazy?
"The accumulation of all powers, in the same hands, whether of one, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny” - James Madision The Federalist Papers #47
NHARINTON

Name: Nick
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:35 am

The shocks wont lift it, but might be an idea for not overextending the shocks
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Zero » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:40 am

springs create lift, shocks control bounce. essentially what you are talking about is what we do. The spacers we use in the rear are like moving the mounting point up. thus creating lift.

Although there are some of us looking in to raising the sway bar and the shock mounts to increase the ground clearance.
Zero
Veteran

Name: Brendan
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by The Roadie » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:48 am

Moving both shock mounts up a couple of inches was on my mod list to have Neil do soon as I got back to work and my mod budget improved. They are out of place for rock crawling, and hang down and are pretty vulnerable. But the articulation is OK, and the shocks don't contribute to lift; I was just going to do it to get the lower shock mount out of harms way. And more rock protection for the rear control arm mounts. He did the fronts with this little plate while fabbing the fuel tank armor.

The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by NHARINTON » Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:55 am

Just seems as if lifting the shock would lift the truck... I guess longer springs would be need then also.
"The accumulation of all powers, in the same hands, whether of one, or many, and whether hereditary, self-appointed, or elective, may justly be pronounced the very definition of tyranny” - James Madision The Federalist Papers #47
NHARINTON

by Gordinho80 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:16 am

Yeah, as everyone else said already. Moving the shocks up will not lift the truck. Springs control ride height. A lowering kit is shorter springs. A lift kit, in our case, is spring spacers to make the springs "taller."
Mario - Build Thread
Gordinho80
Lifer

Name: Mario Almeida
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Zero » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:45 am

NHARINTON wrote:Just seems as if lifting the shock would lift the truck... I guess longer springs would be need then also.

Again to be clear, if you move the shocks up, thats all your doing. is moving them.

Once the mounts are moved up, you will have to look into getting some shorter shocks, unless you can move the top mount up as well to compensate for the lower mount being moved up. Remember it is always better to have a slightly longer shock then you need, so you can avoid ripping them apart if you are at maximum articulation.
Zero
Veteran

by NHARINTON » Sat Feb 20, 2010 11:50 am

I understand now. :)
NHARINTON

by Zero » Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:01 pm

NHARINTON wrote:I understand now. :)

As we said back in my training. Hoo Raa!!!! boy, well done.
Zero
Veteran

by Trail X » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:41 pm

There is benefit to moving the lower shock mounts up. It's basically the same effect as getting longer shocks. It allows more down-articulation of the tire, which is actually very handy.

Zero, you won't tear the shock apart by it being too short. That's actually a normal function of a shock... the shock acts as the down-stop of the axle. You can, however, mess up a shock by letting the shock bottom-out before the bump-stop (if the shock is too long) - a ton more force involved there.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Zero » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:56 pm

Thanx JD thats what I meant, I had it backwards. I stand corrected.
Zero
Veteran

by NHARINTON » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:20 pm

JamesDowning wrote:There is benefit to moving the lower shock mounts up. It's basically the same effect as getting longer shocks. It allows more down-articulation of the tire, which is actually very handy.

Might do this when I get the lift.... Found out yesterday that my brother in law has a buddy that is a good welder, has a shop and everything!
NHARINTON

by The Roadie » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:35 am

JamesDowning wrote: It allows more down-articulation of the tire, which is actually very handy.
As long as you're sure you have identified the NEXT thing that might break if the down-travel is extended. I think the e-brake cables are the next to be stressed, and you don't want to break those.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by Philberto » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:59 am

The main ones are, I think, the e-brake cables (don't want to break, but not that difficult to lengthen), the rear brake hoses (REALLY don't want to break, not so easy to lengthen), and the ABS sensor wires if so equipped (ridiculously easy to lengthen). Just FYI.

Also, remember that you don't want so much articulation that the springs come off their mounts... That would be very bad once the axle tries to compress again :slap:
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Zero » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:28 am

True, but thats why i am gona go the same way as AlekG and get limiting straps as well as a spring retainer kit. Just for peace of mind.
Zero
Veteran

Return to Lifts / Suspension