Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Need advice on rear shocks + Review my build plans?

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by TripleJman » Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Stock everything 2002 Gold-pewter 4x4 trailblazer LS
G80 locker
3.73 gears
180k miles
Michelin Defender ltx m/s

So after a few months now of browsing offroadtb virtually every day and alot of research, I found almost exactly everything that I want to do to my TB at this point. Currently I have a full stock 02 LS 4x4, happy to find out I had 3.73 gears and the G80. Just recently took off the running boards as a start. Right now as in next time I get paid im ordering some rear shocks as I need them pretty badly, I heard everyone has those bilstein HD shocks (thought about the ones on rockauto) but I won't be adding any weight soon except for maybe a skid plate so maybe alittle too stiff? I have fairly old and worn down everything so I'll be slowly upgrading everything. Just want few recommendations (from experience) of what shocks I should get now, that I can stick with (and work properly) for my stock setup now, then add a 2" lift in 2 weeks. Just want an "offroad worthy" shock that wont ruin my ride quality as im upgrading.

Overall goal, definitely not trying to build a crazy offroad machine, just a everyday suv that can crawl a few pebbles, slip out of a bit of mud, and honestly just be able to have a bit of slightly above average offroad have fun :flex dirty:
Future plans In order
Rear Shocks? skyjacker... Bilstein.. moog..
Skid plates - probably homemade as a fun project with the old man
2.5" front 2" rear Lift + 32" tires - Sometime in the summer, already have brand new michelin defenders
Front Struts/spring, rear spring - need advice here for the front, probably sticking with z71 rear - summer
Roof Rack - fog / extra lights - Summer or fall
Exhaust resonator delete, air filter maybe some kind of +fuel economy/HP/torque mods
Front bumper, maybe but probably not rear bumper and black paintjob - end of the year
Maybe ill throw in new speakers and floor mats and seat covers and other extras at random.
Thanks for any help guys :cheers:
TripleJman
Cruiser

Name: Jonah
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Trail X » Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:09 pm

The issue with getting shocks before a lift is that different length shocks are needed before and after a lift. If you get the bilstein HDs meant for a lifted truck, you'll be ok for road driving, but I wouldn't take it offroad at all without the lift installed. Bilstein or skyjackers seem OK. If you're willing to spend a little more for a much better ride, get one with digressive valving.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by TripleJman » Mon Mar 12, 2018 7:54 pm

Trail X wrote:The issue with getting shocks before a lift is that different length shocks are needed before and after a lift. If you get the bilstein HDs meant for a lifted truck, you'll be ok for road driving, but I wouldn't take it offroad at all without the lift installed. Bilstein or skyjackers seem OK. If you're willing to spend a little more for a much better ride, get one with digressive valving.

I COULD get bigger shocks (meant for lift) but it wouldnt be quite right, especially offroading, that sucks, but not really. Ill just get the shocks and the lift kit right now then :hmm: should I stick with bilstein HD or get another shock (under 100$ each, prerferably like 70$)
TripleJman
Cruiser

by Trail X » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:03 am

I'm a huge fan of the Bilstein 5125 (P/N 33-185552) digressive shocks. Its what I've got on the rears.
https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33-1855 ... B00BYNJ7KG

I'm honestly not sure about the fronts. I ran Bilstein HDs for a while and they seemed good at the time. I think some have said they like the skyjacker better. I run coilovers now, and haven't looked back. The coilovers match the 5125s really well, as they are both digressive.
Trail X
Founder

by TripleJman » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:33 pm

[quote="Trail X"]I'm a huge fan of the Bilstein 5125 (P/N 33-185552) digressive shocks. Its what I've got on the rears.
https://www.amazon.com/Bilstein-33-1855 ... B00BYNJ7KG

Those are about what I wanted to get, in terms of price and quality but I've been thinking about these
https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 19&jsn=476
as well as https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.ph ... 19&jsn=477

Monroe and Rancho HD shocks from rockauto at a good price, I just don't know if they're digressive or even any good. These rear shocks I get now are possibly the ones I'll be keeping for the rest of my TB's life, im at 187k miles.
TripleJman
Cruiser

by Trail X » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:49 pm

I don't think you want load adjusting ones.

The Ranchos are pretty standard shocks. There's nothing really special about them except that they are reasonably priced. Do not get rear shocks sized for stock TBs if you plan to lift it. You need an extended length of about 26".
Trail X
Founder

by TripleJman » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:14 pm

Just ordered the good bilstein HD's for like 30$ off :^)
TripleJman
Cruiser

by Trail X » Tue Mar 20, 2018 8:07 am

Cool, the 5125s? You will need to shim them up top with some washers, FYI.
Trail X
Founder

by TripleJman » Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:05 pm

Just the 4600s actually, they will be here and I'll put them in tomorrow
TripleJman
Cruiser