Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Gonna lift just need some advice please

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by TBLAZER_02 » Mon May 22, 2017 12:30 pm

Hello fellow trailblazer enthusiasts,

I've been driving around in my 02 TB For about a year and I now going to pull the trigger and lift it. After digging through the posts I've pretty much decided what I'm going to put in it but wanted to check with the community to see if I might be missing something and gather suggestions for changes that could be made to improve ride and reliability.

So some info first ... this ride is my daily driver so it needs to be reliable on the highway. I want to add a lift to be able to hit the logging roads and trails around my area so basically nothing to crazy.

Here is the list of what I'm thinking to get PLEASE feel free to correct me if you see a part out of place or if a better option exists

THE LIST: - bilsteins B6 4600 Series Front (24-103336)
- bilsteins B6 4600 Series Non Air Ride Rear (24-103350)
- rough country 2" leveling kit (on sale for $85 gotta love that)

Now I know that marks lift seems to be the choice for most users but I just can't get over his disclaimer about his product and being In canada it's hard to swallow the exchange rate for the cost plus extra shipping costs to Canada

I see that people also swap out there springs for z71 id like a slightly stiffer ride because at the moment it bounces a lot .... and I don't do much towing other then a tent trailer during the summer. tire wise I'm looking to eventually put on some 32.5 as I think that's the biggest I can go with a 2" lift.

This is all happening because my front wheel barring is shot and is being replaced I'm also going to put new brakes all around (rotors,calipers and pads) and figured now would be the time to lift it as well. I will be flipping the uca at the same time. Is there anything else I should be looking at while I've got it all apart? I plan on placing the order at the end if the week so any help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks for any help the community can give

Nick
TBLAZER_02
Cruiser

Name: Nick
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Mon May 22, 2017 1:13 pm

The disclaimer about his product? You mean the one where he says there's no warranty and they're for off-road competition use only? He's taken care of any customer that's had a problem (very few), over the last like 10 years or so he's bee doing lift kits, and pretty much everybody, myself included, states that their products are "for off road competition use only" because they're not DOT approved. Saying you have a warranty can get you in hot water, especially on a user-installed part where the user puts it on wrong and crashes or damages some other component or whatever, and even though you're not in the wrong, you've got to pay tens (or hundreds) of thousands of dollars to a lawyer to prove that you're not in the wrong.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer

by TBLAZER_02 » Mon May 22, 2017 2:13 pm

Hi bartonmd,
Thanks for the reply

Ya that's the one I completely understand the reasoning as he needs to cover himself but at the same time the rough country lift comes with some what of a warranty. Unless there is something wrong with using the rough country on our TB (I've been looking at reviews they seem good) the price is great and free shipping to Canada ... which is nice ... I would use marks becauae it seems to be the standard but the price difference for just .5 inch plus shipping is too much to over look. Do you know of any problems using the rough country lifts.

Thanks again
Nick
TBLAZER_02
Cruiser

by tsmith1156 » Mon May 22, 2017 3:09 pm

I'm gonna tell you as having a newly lifted tb, just when you think you've done all the research you need to do... do more. I looked at forums and talked to darn near everyone for 4 years and still have a lot to learn. Lots of good information on here and other forums and anyone will help you out if you're willing to learn and not just keep asking the same questions.
tsmith1156
Off-Roader

Name: Tyler Smith
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD

by CHEVELLE598BB » Mon May 22, 2017 9:59 pm

You may also consider swapping the front springs to a higher rate also. It will give you a stiffer ride and also some lift. Your stock springs are probably lower on the spring rate side (82 or 83) and more than likely sagging quite a bit.
CHEVELLE598BB

Name: Jay
Vehicle: GMC Envoy

by TBLAZER_02 » Sat May 27, 2017 10:57 am

Thanks Chevelle

I was thinking that to ... so I've look into it and my springs are 6ss and 7ss according to the info card in the glove box ... BUT ...they're not listed in the spring chart ... someone else has found the part number to be that of a 15125885 spring .... if that is correct I should be able to goto the 887 spring with no problems to my struts seeing (if I've read the spring post correctly) that there is less than .5 inch lift

So my next question is what spring do I use in the rear if I change out to a 887 in the front? My rear springs are listed as 8hu and 9hu

Thanks for your help everyone
TBLAZER_02
Cruiser

by KingBird » Sat May 27, 2017 11:32 am

From a little different perspective...

I prefer softer springs, it's a much better ride, easier to blast down washboarded roads, and aids in allowing the suspension to actually flex, giving you traction.

I installed slightly stiffer springs in the rear to increase payload, but that's it.

Just a thought.
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370

by TBLAZER_02 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:41 am

So in addition to the rough country and the bilsteins I'll be adding a set of moog 81114 front springs and a set of moog 81051 rear springs from rockauto. Hopefully these shouldn't change the ride to much. Kingbird I hear what your saying and it makes sense most of the trails I'll be hitting are old logging roads and I only tow a tent trailer at most.

I'm trying to think of anything else I should be looking at while I've got everything apart and im ordering from rockauto I'm already replacing a wheel bearing/Hub and installing a full brake kit Should I be looking at new uca's or any linkage
TBLAZER_02
Cruiser

by TBYODA » Mon May 29, 2017 3:28 pm

TBLAZER_02 wrote:So in addition to the rough country and the bilsteins I'll be adding a set of moog 81114 front springs and a set of moog 81051 rear springs from rockauto. Hopefully these shouldn't change the ride to much. Kingbird I hear what your saying and it makes sense most of the trails I'll be hitting are old logging roads and I only tow a tent trailer at most.

I'm trying to think of anything else I should be looking at while I've got everything apart and im ordering from rockauto I'm already replacing a wheel bearing/Hub and installing a full brake kit Should I be looking at new uca's or any linkage

I hear the moog 81114 are very stiff.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by tsmith1156 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:03 pm

Not gonna lie, I have the moog 81114 and the bilstein hd struts and it definitely sits higher but it is stiff. Granted it'll settle some and I haven't taken it offroad but just normal driving it is very stiff
tsmith1156
Off-Roader

Name: Tyler Smith
Vehicle Year: 2005
DriveTrain: 4WD

by KingBird » Mon May 29, 2017 4:46 pm

Don't worry, I'm not offended if you don't want softer springs. It's your truck, mod it how you want it, I offer up a different perspective so that the info is out there.

"If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." Gen. Patton
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370

by TBLAZER_02 » Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:23 pm

The only reason I got the moog springs is because they seemed to be close to what was in there originally (885) ... BUT ... on another note my bilstein came in today yaaaa ... Just waiting for my rough country lift and my springs, wheel hub and brake kit from rockauto

20170603_134909.jpg
Bilstein have arrived
TBLAZER_02
Cruiser

Return to Lifts / Suspension