Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Z 71 springs

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by levi31 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:52 am

hey guys i am new to the trailvoy life, just bought my first GMC Envoy back in november, i wanna lift it, and seen everyones post about z 71 spring what year vehicle would i be looking for these springs to come off? and will they work with the Envoy, also need lift sugestions and some front bumper ideas. i wanna make this envoy looks bad!
levi31

Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: GMC Envoy
DriveTrain: 4WD

by cowboy63645 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:15 pm

Everythig your looking for can be found with a little reading, both here and our sister site trailvoy.com As far as bumpers, you can look at James, Roadie and Teebes bumpers, and if you look through the build threads there will be info on the rear Z71 springs. The part's numbers can be found on Trailvoy, under the offroad section.
cowboy63645

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by Philberto » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:57 pm

Yes, please search before asking one of the most common questions in the history of offroad trailvoys. You can also find the information at jd.offroadtb.com, where our very own James Downing has very kindly published a very comprehensive record of his modifications and what you need to duplicate them.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by Trail X » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:03 pm

This is why we have: The Complete Lifts and Suspension Accessories Thread.

Take a look through it, as the admins have created this resource to house all the information you should need. If you are looking for information not listed there, let us know.
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Doratus » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:35 pm

Philberto wrote:Yes, please search before asking one of the most common questions in the history of offroad trailvoys. You can also find the information at jd.offroadtb.com, where our very own James Downing has very kindly published a very comprehensive record of his modifications and what you need to duplicate them.

Be easy on the newbies. I understand your frustration but...

...The more members the merrier, and their not gonna be members for long when they are made to feel unwelcome.

Levi, don't worry. Just check out the link JamesDowning provided and be sure to post a build thread to document it all! Please include pics because... No pics, didn't happen.
West Chapter (Trailvoy.com)

Wishlist:
A)CB radio
Doratus

Vehicle Year: 2002

by irishboy02 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:47 am

Dont worry, your new to here (newbie) so ill be light on you, we were all new once.

first things first, theres a few people around here who will be a little harsh on you and seem like theyre jumping down your throat really quick, dont mind them, a littlle trial-by-fire.

Secondly, i dont have a part number, however i too am a member of this "z71" club. It is actually the springs out of the 07+ tahoe/avalanche/suburban. The 07+ year changed the spring perch similar to ours, allowing us to use theyres. Stock, theyre springs allow for 1.5" of lift over our stock, so if you get their stock springs that will give you 1.5" lift. If you get say an avalanche 1.5" lift kit, thats 3" of lift over our stock setup etc. Also remember, they are bigger/heavier trucks so they will have a higher spring rate, giving you a stiffer ride, but allowing for higher payloads with less spring sag andkeeping consistant lift.

Little tips/tricks you willl learn. Welcome to the club :fro:
Last edited by irishboy02 on Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18x9 MotoMetal 962
irishboy02
Addict

Name: Brendan

by Philberto » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:38 am

Yeah, sorry if I came off as a hard-ass. It's been a long week.
My Build Thread | 2006 Trailblazer LS Desert Camping Edition **SOLD**
2013 Nissan Xterra S "ReXterra"
Philberto
Lifer

Name: Philip Cruz
Vehicle Year: Other
Vehicle: Other Vehicle

by irishboy02 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:45 am

Philberto wrote:Yeah, sorry if I came off as a hard-ass. It's been a long week.

No worries brotha hell understand. :cheers:
Gettin' Dirrty in Jersey :flex dirty:

2003 GMC Sierra z71
7" FTS lift
35x12.5 Toyo MT on 18x9 MotoMetal 962
irishboy02
Addict

by Zero » Mon Jan 11, 2010 12:23 pm

irishboy02 wrote:Dont worry, your new to here (newbie) so ill be light on you, we were all new once.

first things first, theres a few people around here who will be a little harsh on you and seem like theyre jumping down your throat really quick, dont mind them, a littlle trial-by-fire.

Secondly, i dont have a part number, however i too am a member of this "z71" club. It is actually the springs out of the 07+ tahoe/avalanche/suburban. The 07+ year changed the spring perch similar to ours, allowing us to use theyres. Stock, theyre springs allow for 1.5" of lift over our stock, so if you get their stock springs that will give you 1.5" lift. If you get say an avalanche 1.5" lift kit, thats 3" of lift over our stock setup etc. Also remember, they are bigger/heavier trucks so they will have a higher spring rate, giving you a stiffer ride, but allowing for higher payloads with less spring sag andkeeping consistant lift.

Little tips/tricks you willl learn. Welcome to the club :fro:

Come one guys, this is how we should be talking to newbs the first time they post. Lets take it easy on the the first time around, and if they still show an in ability to search and read, then slam them. Lets keep this a happy and informative place.
Zero
Veteran

DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Trail X » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:31 pm

Rudeness shouldn't be tolerated (It's actually one of the site's rules!). However, I don't think anyone was rude here fellas... and on the flip-side, we don't need to talk to the new guys like they're children either. If you guys consider anything stated above as rude or harsh, you're a little overly sensitive... don't you think?

However, I didn't actually see his post count until now. So, levi31, welcome! :mechanic:
8-) Build Thread | ExPo Build | YouTube Videos
Not all who wander are lost. -Tolkien
Trail X
Founder

Name: James Downing
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by Zero » Mon Jan 11, 2010 1:45 pm

its just my 2 cents. But I am switching out my Avalanche springs in favor of some SkyJacker springs, like AlekG uses. There is a lot of info about both. So go to the search box and type in those names specifically, and go read AlekG's build thread. It has all you need to know about his springs in there.

Or go check out JamesD's build or personal website. He has write ups on stuff he isn't even using, just to give people like you more info in one place.
Zero
Veteran

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:53 pm

JamesDowning wrote:Rudeness shouldn't be tolerated (It's actually one of the site's rules!). However, I don't think anyone was rude here fellas... and on the flip-side, we don't need to talk to the new guys like they're children either. If you guys consider anything stated above as rude or harsh, you're a little overly sensitive... don't you think?

However, I didn't actually see his post count until now. So, levi31, welcome! :mechanic:

:Iagree: Some people seem a little :flower: :flower: sensitive.... But I know it can be easy to scare people away too!

Some forums make an introduction thread mandatory... Might be an option, get people talking before they start asking the same questions everyone else has..

I am now a member of the Z71 club too.... (Thank you Roadie!!!)... And They KICKASS, huge improvement over stock!!
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Johnathan Kurz
Vehicle Year: 2004

by The Roadie » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:05 pm

Glad they arrived and you like 'em! I continue to appreciate the coilovers every time I go out there. I'm starting to feel more like a trophy truck when I can do 40 in washes that used to rattle my teeth at 10-15 MPH before. Zero has brand new Bilsteins up front and was constantly slowed down by washboarding and shallow (6-8") ruts that I could fly over.
The Roadie
Founder

Name: Bill Carton

by OregTrailBlazin » Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:24 pm

The Roadie wrote:Glad they arrived and you like 'em! I continue to appreciate the coilovers every time I go out there. I'm starting to feel more like a trophy truck when I can do 40 in washes that used to rattle my teeth at 10-15 MPH before. Zero has brand new Bilsteins up front and was constantly slowed down by washboarding and shallow (6-8") ruts that I could fly over.

Thats my favorite part, and probably one of the best selling points. Its amazing that it can make such a big difference on the washboards. (And those LA FreeWays).. Going to the mining claims, I have a couple roads that are a good 20Miles of washboards, and before I had the coilovers it tooks hours to get there!!

The Rear springs are great, my wife even loved the firmer ride... I have a couple pics at home of the trip to the claim this weekend, I'll try and remember to bring them in... Actually, I'm pretty sure a I haven't put a pic of my rig up since I put on my roof rack! :wallbash:
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

by Akozlowski » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Im going to necro this post just for a little info on a combination, I have found the Z71 springs on ebay going to pick a pair up without the original tahoe shocks. Was thinking of getting Bilstein all around. I know there is a set for the front F4-BE5-A333-H0 and a set for the rear F4-BE5-A335-H0, but with the replacement of the rear springs along with a 2'' BDS lift do I have to get the tahoe/avalanche rear shocks? F4-BE5-E380-H0 or is it going to work the same?

Iv read the, viewtopic.php?f=15&t=20 ,just dont know which combination is needed for the rear.

Front: F4-BE5-A333-H0 + BDS 2'' lift
Rear: Z71 15234633 + BDS 2'' Lift + which Bilstein shock?

Thanks guys! :flex dirty:
Akozlowski

Name: Adam Kozlowski
DriveTrain: 2WD

by The Roadie » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:55 pm

If you put in Z71 springs AND a BDS spacer in the back, the Bilsteins are going to severely limit your articulation. You won't notice it in normal running, but if you flex, you'll notice it. And the Z71 springs are going to overpower the Tahoe shocks you might get because they're not aftermarket quality. Much better is to snag a set of the BDS shocks designed and tested (by me, Teebes, and BDS) that were originally designated for 98-2002 Suburbans, IIRC. Right length and valving for Z71 lifted trailvoys.

The 55619/95619 shock includes all the right mounting hardware also: sleeves, and washers. Teebes is running their 55619 hydraulic kit, and I've got their gas pressurized 95619 kit now,
The Roadie
Founder

by Akozlowski » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:17 pm

Hah funny how simple that is... lift amount 2'' 02-09 trailblazer $117 each. Now maybe im getting the idea wrong with a 2'' lift in the front and addition of new shocks im still just 2'' higher in the front. Adding a Z71 spring im getting something like 1.5'' so im currently lower in the rear. Thus the need to add the BDS lift in the rear as well, now im 3.5"~ in the rear, this is what causes the need for BDS shocks in the rear for better articulation?.... Im not too auto savvy just trying to get into the swing of things, few friends have pushed me into this idea :shoot: If the current set is roughly offset that the front is lower than the rear, if I want the same style of look then installing all three on the backend would be a good idea, not only for style but for functionality. Or this is the only way I can explain it to myself :cheers:

I know this is very newb of me but we all start somewhere. :friday:
Total set:

Front:
2'' BDS suspension lift
Trailblazer/Envoy replacement: F4-BE5-A333-H0

Rear:
2'' BDS suspension Lift

Z71 Springs Tahoe
BDS: 02-09 Trailblazer Rear 2” 95619 $117.77 for articulation?
or the 55619 Rear Hydraulic Shock Absorber if im not going all out.
Akozlowski

by OregTrailBlazin » Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:43 pm

Akozlowski wrote:Hah funny how simple that is... lift amount 2'' 02-09 trailblazer $117 each. Now maybe im getting the idea wrong with a 2'' lift in the front and addition of new shocks im still just 2'' higher in the front. Adding a Z71 spring im getting something like 1.5'' so im currently lower in the rear. Thus the need to add the BDS lift in the rear as well, now im 3.5"~ in the rear

The truck has a natural rake, Allot of poeple want a level stance, so the front will go up a little higher than the rear when your lifting. I think I have about 3" up front, and about 2.25" in the rear, and I'm just about level..
Johnny Kurz
General Manager
541-474-2879
Wheeler's Off-Road Inc.
Our Vendor Section
OregTrailBlazin
Off-Road Vendor

by The Roadie » Fri Mar 12, 2010 2:17 am

I personally like the max I can obtain in the front and the max in the back. If it's still higher in the back, and I get a rock wedged under the frame, then it gets LESS wedged as I travel forward. Less likely to get stuck on the rocks that way. Your trails may not be like these, or you may avoid hitting rocks on the frame at all because it's very close to the gas tank.
The Roadie
Founder

by Akozlowski » Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:55 am

Ya we are in the same area sorta, I was going to try it out on my friends land near victorville mainly tons of dirt some mud, not many rocks. That was going to be the test and I'd have to find a group of guys willing to do more than that to get me going. Im new to offroad and would rather have someone experienced if im doing something with large rocks and mud haha. Well thank you for the info, maybe once I get this done we can hit the trails.
Akozlowski

Next

Return to Lifts / Suspension