Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Which shock with Z71 springs? Yes, I read the sticky ;)

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by Timberwolf » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:50 pm

ok, as you can tell from my post count, I'm new.

I have been reading everything I can about suspension on these things. But I'm a little confused still. The "sticky" that talks about lifts and accessories mentions several shocks, but doesn't go into detail regarding which ones to use where. For example, I have Z71 springs en route, but the shocks in the post show 4 different part numbers and don't explain which ones to use when.

So I use the TB/Envoy PN? Or the avalanche? Tahoe/Yukon? All the part numbers are shown, but...?

My intention for this is to get some more tire under it, tow a 3500lb trailer on occasion, and drive the crap out of it. Right now it's squishy as can be.

From my research, I am looking at Moog 81114 springs up front with bilstein HD 24-103336 shocks. Is that right?

For the rear, the aforementioned z71 springs, but I see shock recommendations all over the board from Bilstein 5125...but there are about a million different part numbers (travel lengths, compressed and extended lengths, etc) within that model. So which should I use? Also, I see the Skyjacker N8030... though this seems much more specific.

I'm thinking I'd like something along the lines of 32 inch tires. I figure I'll need 3" lift up front. Maybe 1" in the rear with the Z71.

Anyone care to chime in and help? Thanks in advance!
Timberwolf
Cruiser

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2003
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HARDTRAILZ » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:04 pm

There are prolly 2 dozen rear shocks that will work with the z71. For any rear lift including the z71 the longer shocks are pretty well desired. I would tried BDS, Rough Country, and Skyjacker and none hold a candle to the Bilstein 5125s.
Here is the link to the ones on my truck that guys use
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BY ... UTF8&psc=1

Moog 14 and the Bilstein will be solid front setup but with the 3 inch lift you will want some weight of a bumper/skids/winch to help tame them or they could top out pretty often.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
they've always worked for me.
HARDTRAILZ

Name: Kyle
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bljis123 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:22 pm

See these discussions are invaluable!!!

Followed advice on rear with the Bilstein 5125 and very happy. I didn't have to go through the other brands to find the one that works great!!

Now again I am gleaning again. Can't justify cost for Radflo's, but the price on Moog 14 springs and Bilsteins are a no brainer. Ordering last pair in stock LOL
Moog 14 springs with Bilstien 5125 shocks sitting on BFG KO2's
2003 GMC Envoy XL SLT 4x4
bljis123
Off-Roader

Name: Brett
Vehicle: GMC Envoy XL

by Anthony Hernandez » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:28 pm

Where did you order from?
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony
Vehicle Year: 2007

by bljis123 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:29 pm

Amazon, Only 1 in stock for the springs. Shocks have quantity available.

Well not it says 2, so I guess they still have some and more on the way...
bljis123
Off-Roader

by Timberwolf » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:37 pm

I just placed the order for the springs from Amazon. It said only one left in stock when I ordered. Just checked again (only been 5 minutes) and it still says one left.

And those shocks that HardTrailz linked are the one I had in my cart already; I was just waiting for confirmation before I ordered the wrong ones :)
Timberwolf
Cruiser

by Timberwolf » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:35 am

Do we still use stock sway bar end links after the lift?
Timberwolf
Cruiser

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:46 am

We throw away sway bars. Well I run the front part time and made my own simple bolt on links which are cheap and easy and solid. Can also make em quick connects if you want.

The rear bar does basically nothing and hangs low so its best to use it for artwork on the garage wall or recycle it.
I hate to advocate weird chemicals, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone...but
HARDTRAILZ

by bljis123 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:39 am

Yeah take off back, feel a small amount in turns but nothing big. But need to keep front on for the road. The OEM front sway links will pop and make noise after a bit. I had Mason on here make me some aftermarkets that will be on way soon. Plenty of info on here to make yourself tho.
bljis123
Off-Roader

by Timberwolf » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:46 am

Does not having the rear have any adverse effect on towing?
Timberwolf
Cruiser

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:54 am

Nope
HARDTRAILZ

by HawkeyeC25 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:04 pm

I have the Bilstein 24-185783. LOVE them! They have longer travel and I use them with Z71 springs and 2" blocks from MarkMC. I also removed the rear sway bar... really no need for it with stiffer front springs and front sway bar. And I agree, no issue towing.

Note that the upper control arms hitting the rear sway bar links is the down-travel limiter. If you remove the sway bar links, the axle will drop down more to the shock length. So if you get longer shocks, make sure your springs will stay put at full droop if you remove the sway bar links. I had no issue with the Z71 springs and 2 inch blocks.
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by HARDTRAILZ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:27 pm

Yet to see any issue w rear springs coming loose? Do know of someone that had that issue?
HARDTRAILZ

by mason10198 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 3:08 am

HARDTRAILZ wrote:The rear bar does basically nothing and hangs low so its best to use it for ARTWORK ON THE GARAGE WALL or recycle it.

I lol'd. Mine has been right here ever since I pulled it.Image

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
mason10198

Name: Mason

by HawkeyeC25 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:49 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:Yet to see any issue w rear springs coming loose? Do know of someone that had that issue?

As long as your shock length matches your lift (2" blocks with +2" shocks) you shouldn't have a problem. I did see one person needing to put straps on the bottom coil to keep them in place, but I'm pretty sure it was due to putting too long of a shock on. Just something to check before you go wheeling the first time.
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by HARDTRAILZ » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:21 am

HawkeyeC25 wrote:
HARDTRAILZ wrote:Yet to see any issue w rear springs coming loose? Do know of someone that had that issue?

As long as your shock length matches your lift (2" blocks with +2" shocks) you shouldn't have a problem. I did see one person needing to put straps on the bottom coil to keep them in place, but I'm pretty sure it was due to putting too long of a shock on. Just something to check before you go wheeling the first time.

You mean the Jon guy that added like 6 or 10 inch longer shocks cause that had to be mo better?

A few people have talked of strapping the bottom coil as a JIC, but never seen anyone need em. Even with no lift and 2 inch longer shocks i dont think the spring will come out.
HARDTRAILZ

by Timberwolf » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:46 pm

So to summarize, here's what I ordered. I'm looking for suggestions on anything additional I should consider, or adjustments to make to the setup.

Moog 81114 springs
Bilstein HD 24-103336 Struts
Z71 rear springs
Bilstein 33-185552 shocks
MarkMC 3" lift/level kit

Think this will be somewhat level? OR with the lift and front springs will it be nose high? I do plan a winch and bumper in the near future.

Also, if I'm thinking correct, I should have about 4.5" lift in front and maybe 3" in the back?
Timberwolf
Cruiser

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:20 pm

The Mark block in rear and Z71 may be a bit high after front settles, but you can always get a smaller block for rear if needed. I would start with what you have though. I dont think the nose will be high, esp once bumper and winch are added. Might be stiff ride til then though.

I would consider adding adjustable panhard or the drop bracket in the rear to center the rear-end. Honestly you want both to really be correct, but I still have been too lazy to do that and just run the bar from before the bracket was offered.

You are not going to be 4.5 front and do not want to be. Maybe closer to 3.5-3.75 but it will hopefully settle a bit from there or will be about fully topped out at all times. The rear is going to be about 3.5 with the springs and blocks.
HARDTRAILZ

by Timberwolf » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:31 pm

HARDTRAILZ wrote:The Mark block in rear and Z71 may be a bit high after front settles, but you can always get a smaller block for rear if needed. I would start with what you have though. I dont think the nose will be high, esp once bumper and winch are added. Might be stiff ride til then though.

I would consider adding adjustable panhard or the drop bracket in the rear to center the rear-end. Honestly you want both to really be correct, but I still have been too lazy to do that and just run the bar from before the bracket was offered.

You are not going to be 4.5 front and do not want to be. Maybe closer to 3.5-3.75 but it will hopefully settle a bit from there or will be about fully topped out at all times. The rear is going to be about 3.5 with the springs and blocks.

so if both and front are getting lifted ~3.5, I'm still going to have some rake in the way it sits. Correct?

Also, good source for the adjustable panhard and bracket?
Timberwolf
Cruiser

by HARDTRAILZ » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:14 pm

Yep. That is why I said you may want a smaller rear block to level. But once lifted a bit higher in the rear is really not as noticeable with the larger tires n such. I like a bit higher in the rear. I tried dead level by measurement and it looks rear low. About inch higher on tape measure in the rear seems to look right imo.

I think suicidedoors that I got my bar from does not sell them, so not sure these days. I think Erik is selling the bracket.
HARDTRAILZ

Next

Return to Lifts / Suspension