Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Issues with lift

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by oChaws » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:57 am

So a while back, I attempted to install the 3" liftmeister lift on my 08' TB LT. We got the front end all taken apart with a breeze. The issue came when we attempted to compress the spring to fit the 3" spacer. We messed with it for about 2 hours trying to get the spring compressed and it would not compress enough to fit the spacer on and get the center nut tightened. I mean, we compressed the S*** out of this thing to the point that it was scary. Used the spring compressed at the highest point and lowest point as well. We finally did get the spacer on with just barely 3 or 4 threads sticking out of the top and got the center nut on and released the compressor and the coil was bowed out at an angle that was just scary. The coil was so bowed it was resting against the strut. (Which were brand new bilsteins) So we took everything apart and installed the new bil steins but not the lift and put it all back together and I PM'd Marc to see what he thought. He said that I most likely had MOOG replacement coils which are longer and have a higher spring rate on there which made sense cause they looked brand new! So my question is, does this make sense to the rest of you? Or have you heard of this before? Just want some more ensight before I order OEM springs and give it another crack!! Thanks all:)
oChaws
Cruiser

Name: Charles
Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Itsmytime9110 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:48 pm

Take a spring that you hadn't tried to compress and measure the height of it. Then see if you can find factory specs for the height of an OEM spring.
Itsmytime9110
Cruiser

Name: Josh
Vehicle Year: 2005

by oChaws » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:14 pm

From what I've read, they are the same height. But the MOOg's have an extra coil. Along with a much higher spring rate. I'm almost to the point of selling the 3" lift I have from Marc and buying the 2.5" life from Marc. Would be much cheaper than $300+ for OEM springs!!! Really need some insight :hissyfit:
oChaws
Cruiser

by KingBird » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:16 pm

If anyone would know, he would.

Mine appeared similar until I got them in the vehicle and then drove it down the alley. Then I parked in the driveway and the center nut was a good half inch above the strut assembly, so I tightened it down good and snug with the vehicle sitting level.

I guess everything just had to settle in properly, I would figure that the hundreds of pounds of force from the spring would do that but it didn't.
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by oChaws » Mon Sep 05, 2016 10:13 pm

KingBird wrote:If anyone would know, he would.

Mine appeared similar until I got them in the vehicle and then drove it down the alley. Then I parked in the driveway and the center nut was a good half inch above the strut assembly, so I tightened it down good and snug with the vehicle sitting level.

I guess everything just had to settle in properly, I would figure that the hundreds of pounds of force from the spring would do that but it didn't.

I know Marc is the man when it comes to this stuff!! That's odd.. I was afraid to put mine in. It looked like a bomb lmao were yours on the factory springs?
oChaws
Cruiser

by KingBird » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:43 pm

Factory, soft, float like a Cadillac, springs. They weren't bowed so bad that they were touching the strut though.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

by oChaws » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:10 pm

KingBird wrote:Factory, soft, float like a Cadillac, springs. They weren't bowed so bad that they were touching the strut though.

Sounds about right. Did your ride stiffen at all? I like the way these MOOG's feel but if they don't fit, they don't fit.
oChaws
Cruiser

by KingBird » Tue Sep 06, 2016 1:45 pm

No, my ride didn't stiffen until I put in the Tahoe rear springs.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

by oChaws » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:05 pm

KingBird wrote:No, my ride didn't stiffen until I put in the Tahoe rear springs.

Have them and will be installing them!! I let you know how everything goes with a build thread!! Thanks!
oChaws
Cruiser

Return to Lifts / Suspension