Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Front end clunking noise

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by sicklife17 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:34 pm

So for a long time now there has been a clunk in my front end over bumps. I was told it's the sway bar links. And the struts were squeaky. So I finally replaced Bassicly everything and added a 2.5" lift. It is now clunking worse then before. I no that there was a part on the Blazers under the drivers door that was common to break and broke on my girlfriends Tahoe. She had the same sounds I'm having and I can't figure it out. Does anyone no what it could be?
sicklife17
Cruiser

Name: Justin
Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 7:56 pm

sicklife17 wrote:So for a long time now there has been a clunk in my front end over bumps. I was told it's the sway bar links. And the struts were squeaky. So I finally replaced Bassicly everything and added a 2.5" lift. It is now clunking worse then before. I no that there was a part on the Blazers under the drivers door that was common to break and broke on my girlfriends Tahoe. She had the same sounds I'm having and I can't figure it out. Does anyone no what it could be?

The torsion bar crossmember mount thingy that broke on your GF's Tahoe doesn't exist on a Trailblazer, so it's not that.

Unfortunately many front end parts clunk when they're bumped, so I can't tell you any one part to go look at. Balljoints, especially uppers rattle alot. Could be control arm bushing's, could be the strut's topping out, could be your sway bar endlink's. You said you added a lift and replaced "basically everything" but that isn't a very clear parts list lol.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006

by sicklife17 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:17 pm

honestly sounds like the front end is about to fall off. And it's been like this for a while. I replaced all the sway bar links and bushings front and rear shocks( bilstien front skyjacker rear) z71 coils and a 2.5" lift in the front.
sicklife17
Cruiser

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:46 pm

So you're still rolling on OE balljoints and control arms and control arm bushings and tie rods? You really did struts, springs, and sway bar endlinks?
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by Jrgunn5150 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:50 pm

I would suggest getting it up on jackstands with the tires still mounted and seeing if you can reproduce it or find any slop. You're just going to have to go out there, have someone work the wheel while you watch, and pry on the tires to see where it's coming from.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by sicklife17 » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:58 pm

They guy I bought it from did the ball joint after that I'm not sure. I had it up on a jack and everything's seems tight and rigt
sicklife17
Cruiser

by SITKA4wd » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:30 am

I am having the same issue. I have a stock 2006 LT and just did the suspension, sway bar end links and bushings. And I am getting the same clunking noise. Its not all the time, but seems to be over extreme bumps, and sounds extremely loose. This coming weekend I am doing all the ball joints, and tie rod ends. I firmly believe, at this point, its going to be the ball joints or control arm bushings. I will keep you updated what happens. But I agree its super annoying!!!
SITKA4wd

Name: jordan
DriveTrain: 4WD

by HawkeyeC25 » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:17 pm

You said you did the sway bar end links, but did you do the bushings in brackets that hold the front of the bar to the frame? (See upper right corner of the pic below - you can see the blue Moog ones I put in.) Other than what others have listed (ball joints being the likely culprit), you should also check the hubs, check that the CV shafts aren't flopping around, ensure the front axle isn't loose (any of this worse in 4wd?), and check body mount bolts.

2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

Return to Lifts / Suspension