Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Isn't it time for a new Radflow group buy?

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by DirtyBacon04 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:43 am

TBYODA wrote:Just think if you get the radflo's you can do this and be fine. :lol: Really dumb luck Lmao

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454358732.018978.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1454358746.019688.jpg

I remember standing next to James when he took those pics... I thought we were seeing the last of TBYoda before he rolled off the mountain... Had me a bit nervous, Rob. You young kids and your wheelie shenanigans. Or as the Roadie once called me, "young whippersnapper"
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by HawkeyeC25 » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:52 am

Anthony Hernandez wrote:So radflo finally responded to me via email,

"We can definitely do a group buy on some of our Trailblazer coil-over kits. The standard retail price is $1280.00 for the pair. If we can get 10 sets pre-sold we can do these for $1050.00 per pair. Thanks"

So if people are interested, I would like to purchase a set as early as 1st week of March. Let everyone have time to file taxes or whatever the fuk it takes them to get the funds together, if we get 10 beforehand we can go ahead and pull the trigger.

OK - so are doing this? Let's see if we have 10!!

1. HawkeyeC25
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by HawkeyeC25 » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:26 pm

No one else wants them now?? Did everyone spend their tax refund already?? :P
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

by Anthony Hernandez » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:40 am

Yea man, haha I gave up on that fairly quick...no one was biting on it.. Would be nice though.. I just bought a bunch of other crap for the tb...
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony
Vehicle Year: 2007

by HawkeyeC25 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:30 am

Bummer - well, looks like I'll be paying full price :) After testing out the winch last week, it's enough weight with the bumper/skids that I need stiffer springs for sure. Might has well get something adjustable and be done!! :excited:
Build Thread
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

by Anthony Hernandez » Thu Mar 03, 2016 3:21 pm

Yea it is a bummer. As far as your springs, you could get a set of moog114's. Thier stiffness is between an 87-88 I've read. They are like $50 on eBay.
Marks3"-moog 14's-fox shocks-z71's-4.56 gears-rear locker-
My build - viewtopic.php?f=74&t=6225
Anthony Hernandez
Trail-Blazer

Name: Anthony

by TBYODA » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:49 pm

Make you own coil over say from a FOA shocks or some other type like this and just pick your spring rate. Would just need to mill top shock mount and the bottom mount that attaching in the yoke. The end of these shocks unscrew and should be pretty easy for metal shop to make the ends. A few of us have talked about it and think you could make a set for about half.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457055082.382594.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457055082.382594.jpg (54.23 KiB) Viewed 24433 times
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by Jrgunn5150 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:57 pm

TBYODA wrote:Make you own coil over say from a FOA shocks or some other type like this and just pick your spring rate. Would just need to mill top shock mount and the bottom mount that attaching in the yoke. The end of these shocks unscrew and should be pretty easy for metal shop to make the ends. A few of us have talked about it and think you could make a set for about half.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1457055082.382594.jpg

I even have a set of strut mounts I grabbed from the Pull A Part for that reason. Anyone with a lathe and a brain should be able to make the lower mount.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

Name: Jr.
Vehicle Year: 2006
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by bartonmd » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:31 am

A couple people did that with some other coilovers before Radflo jumped in and made a solution for us, and the ends of their shafts broke. Obviously, the stock setup is the other direction, because the larger bending force is in the middle, where the offset and damper meet, not at the top. I think the only reason the Radflo works and the others didn't is that they use a 5/8" rod and full diameter threads, whereas the other ones used cut down threads. I think I'd also want the aluminum to go up the shaft a little bit, vs. stopping at the base of the threads, for more support. (i.e. a counterbore)

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike

by Jrgunn5150 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:36 pm

I'm not sure I'm following, although I did see where Roadie had a Icon coilover for awhile and it busted at the bottom.

My idea was simpler, just turn a piece of steel to fit in the lower strut mount, then machine a mount for a "Normal" eyelet on the top (where the bottom of the shock would go). One piece of billet, easy peasy. The upper mount should be pretty easy and straight forward. Finding a coilover that's appropriate might be more difficult.

Then I realized that I would likely outcycle the Tripot pretty easily, and still wouldn't be able to get a front locker, and thusly a SAS with a 3 link seems more worthwhile to me lol.

But, if my idea doesn't seem utterly idiotic, and anyone is interested, I could draw it up in CAD.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by bartonmd » Fri Mar 04, 2016 5:52 pm

Jrgunn5150 wrote:I'm not sure I'm following, although I did see where Roadie had a Icon coilover for awhile and it busted at the bottom.

My idea was simpler, just turn a piece of steel to fit in the lower strut mount, then machine a mount for a "Normal" eyelet on the top (where the bottom of the shock would go). One piece of billet, easy peasy. The upper mount should be pretty easy and straight forward. Finding a coilover that's appropriate might be more difficult.

Then I realized that I would likely outcycle the Tripot pretty easily, and still wouldn't be able to get a front locker, and thusly a SAS with a 3 link seems more worthwhile to me lol.

But, if my idea doesn't seem utterly idiotic, and anyone is interested, I could draw it up in CAD.

You can't do that, though, with the lower strut mount. The lower mount needs to be solid. The joint between the offset that goes around the half shaft and the lower mount of the strut is floating, so the joint needs to be something that can't bend in any direction.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike

by v7guy » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:08 pm

I already have plans scribbled down, it's something I've had sitting on the to do list for I think easily over a year now.
The FOA shock has a .75 shaft, so I assumed it would hold up as well as the radflo shock.
Putting a counter bore on the adapter was kinda a given in my mind cause you wouldn't really want to put all the stress in the threads. Maybe it would be fine, maybe not, wouldn't be a big deal to add the counter bore so it seems silly not to.

The upper mount can be as simple as a piece of plate that bolts to the body in the stock location, with a rod end shock mount welded on. Or a pretty machined piece like the radflos.

If we're talking about a rod ended shock like the foa or radflo, just bolting an adapter onto the rod end would probably amplify any side loading and make the assembly extra long and if you were machining it to fit around the rod end mount of the shock to make it rigid like it needs to be it'd be extra complicated. In my mind it would just be easier to thread the adapter and screw it onto the shock rod. But I may be misunderstanding too LOL

When I was toying with the idea originally I found I could get a lil more angle outta the CV and the balljoints (after the upper was flipped) and the tie rods, but the shock was the limiting factor, I dunno if in practice you can squeeze another .5 inch or a full inch outta it, but there was more available on my vehicle.

Beyond that you're looking at some custom rcv jammies to get a little bit more angle, and considering nobody wants to pay for radflos I can't see many going this route. Especially for the limited gain.

At that point you might as well extend the A arms 3 or 4 inches per side to make the add to the travel gained and to make the custom CVs worthwhile.

Of course you're still stuck with a front diff without a locker and of questionable strength as you get more and more retarded with the setup. At this point you'd have 2-3k in the setup at least and is it worth it? I dunno... I think it's probably the next logical step without going full retard. You could end up with a pretty nifty setup that's probably still fairly reliable on 33s though.

Of course this is how I've ended up where I am though, so you probably shouldn't listen to me or my rational.
build thread

All things in moderation, including moderation.
Some people never go crazy... what truly horrible lives they must lead
v7guy

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Jrgunn5150 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:17 pm

bartonmd wrote:
You can't do that, though, with the lower strut mount. The lower mount needs to be solid. The joint between the offset that goes around the half shaft and the lower mount of the strut is floating, so the joint needs to be something that can't bend in any direction.

Mike

Duur, I really hadn't thought of that, that idea would have been a disaster lol.

v7guy wrote:
If we're talking about a rod ended shock like the foa or radflo, just bolting an adapter onto the rod end would probably amplify any side loading and make the assembly extra long and if you were machining it to fit around the rod end mount of the shock to make it rigid like it needs to be it'd be extra complicated. In my mind it would just be easier to thread the adapter and screw it onto the shock rod. But I may be misunderstanding too LOL

When I was toying with the idea originally I found I could get a lil more angle outta the CV and the balljoints (after the upper was flipped) and the tie rods, but the shock was the limiting factor, I dunno if in practice you can squeeze another .5 inch or a full inch outta it, but there was more available on my vehicle.

Beyond that you're looking at some custom rcv jammies to get a little bit more angle, and considering nobody wants to pay for radflos I can't see many going this route. Especially for the limited gain.

At that point you might as well extend the A arms 3 or 4 inches per side to make the add to the travel gained and to make the custom CVs worthwhile.

Of course you're still stuck with a front diff without a locker and of questionable strength as you get more and more retarded with the setup. At this point you'd have 2-3k in the setup at least and is it worth it? I dunno... I think it's probably the next logical step without going full retard. You could end up with a pretty nifty setup that's probably still fairly reliable on 33s though.

Of course this is how I've ended up where I am though, so you probably shouldn't listen to me or my rational.

My logic chain led me down the same path more or less. That's why I decided to go full retard lol.

But, i will say, my Trailblazer, on 32's and lifted the same as everyone else's, does quite well in medium difficulty offroad settings. I mean, I've been to all the offroad parks in Michigan and haven't required any extraction's sticking to the 5-6 out of 10 trails. Ultimately though, the only two ways to get down the trail are traction or momentum, and I don't want to use momentum lol.
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by HawkeyeC25 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:12 pm

I see this thread went down the path of fab'ing our own coilovers (would be very cool btw), but I decided to call Radflo and order up a set!!! :friday:

They said they had enough parts in stock to build a set so they should have mine done in a week!! :excited:

Also, even though we didn't get enough for a group buy discount, they offered them up to me at $1200 + shipping.

Mike Crosby at Radflo also said they will be more than happy to offer anyone here the same discount... but they will just have to wait about 3 weeks.

Thought I would let you guys know!! :thumleft:
Build Thread
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

by Jrgunn5150 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:28 pm

HawkeyeC25 wrote:I see this thread went down the path of fab'ing our own coilovers (would be very cool btw), but I decided to call Radflo and order up a set!!! :friday:

They said they had enough parts in stock to build a set so they should have mine done in a week!! :excited:

Also, even though we didn't get enough for a group buy discount, they offered them up to me at $1200 + shipping.

Mike Crosby at Radflo also said they will be more than happy to offer anyone here the same discount... but they will just have to wait about 3 weeks.

Thought I would let you guys know!! :thumleft:

Jump it!
Jrgunn5150
Veteran

by HawkeyeC25 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:36 pm

Jrgunn5150 wrote:

Jump it!

HAHA I don't think I can live up to TBYODA's legendary status!!
Build Thread
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

by TBYODA » Sat Mar 05, 2016 2:04 am

HawkeyeC25 wrote:
Jrgunn5150 wrote:

Jump it!

HAHA I don't think I can live up to TBYODA's legendary status!!

I really don't think I am legendary by any means. i just did a crazy jump and luckily didn't brake anything major or die going down the hill to right in the video.
2008 TB Radflo coil overs, Z71 rear springs, 2" spacer, skyjacker N8030 shocks, LT285/75R16E Goodyear MTR

My Build ----- MY Youtube Channel
TBYODA

Name: Robert Sengillo
Vehicle Year: 2008
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by jaqlecoq » Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:34 am

Oops I forgot about this thread :facepalm: Looks like HawkeyeC25 already bought his so we're back to one buyer :lol:
1. JaqleCoq
jaqlecoq

Name: Jason
Vehicle Year: 2002
DriveTrain: 4WD

Previous

Return to Lifts / Suspension