Offroad Trailblazers and Envoys

Build advise for my new trailblazer

BDS, ReadyLift, Smaxx... You name it, we know about it here.

by Brendon » Sat Dec 26, 2015 5:45 pm

I am a newbie to the off road world and just picked up a really nice 06 Trailblazer LT 4WD with around 60k miles on it. I will be shipping the trailblazer to Costa Rica, where I live, in a few months. It will be used as a daily commuter between my farm and town about 45 minutes away. I do not plan to do any hardcore wheelin but the road to my farm is definitely a 4x4 dirt road and is super hard on my vehicles. The mechanics here in CR are not super reliable and trailblazer parts will also be a bit harder to come by. I am wanting to get it outfitted with the new build before I ship it from the US. My main goals are to gain more clearance and to "beef up" any suspension and steering system components to deal with the daily beating from my roads.
Here are my initial thoughts and questions. Any and all advise will be greatly appreciated. I have spent many many hours on the forums, but with my lack of mechanical knowledge there are some things that I just don't understand.

-Markmc 2.5" lift/leveling kit
-Bilstein HD struts up front
-Monroe strut mount kit
-Skyjacker 8030 shocks in the rear
-Markmc 1.5" wheel spacers
-265/70/17 BFG A/T K02 tires all around on stock 17" wheels (may upgrade wheels if finances allow)
-K & N air filter (Not sure if this is necessary but have liked them in the past)

Some questions:

1) Does this seem like a good setup?

2) I have read about the rear axle being off center after installing a lift. Do I need to worry about this and will it create any extra wear on the vehicle. It is a good idea to use an adjustable panhard bar to re center, and if so any suggestions on brand?

3) My vehicles here in CR are constantly needing steering system maintenance, ex- ball joints, etc. Are there any other recommendations for steering system/suspension upgrades to make the system stronger? Ball joints, tie rods, sway bar links, upper/lower control arms?? I don't want to do any unnecessary work but do want to do any preventative maintenance possible.

Thanks so much for any input and excited to be joining the ORTB community.
Brendon
Cruiser

Name: Brendon
Vehicle Year: 2006
Vehicle: Chevrolet TrailBlazer
DriveTrain: 4WD

by Rickalicka18 » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:45 pm

Panhard bar to help center your rear axle and flip uca's to get more life out of them. That's all I know of. Could visit massive and get the whole kit they offer. What I'm doing http://www.massivespeedsystem.com/_mass ... 25933.aspx
Rickalicka18
Addict

Name: Ricky lacombe
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Limited Slip

by navigator » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:22 am

a lot of guys run them lifted without the adjustable panhard bar.
I expect with my Z71 springs in the rear and the rough country spacer I am running close to the amount of lift in the rear you will be running, around 2". I personally haven't seen a need to get one yet myself.
For guys running Z71s + a taller lift block or those running the skyjacker CR25 springs in the rear it might be more of a need.
"Please consider a search before posting. Folks on this site PIONEERED functional offroad use of these trucks."
The answer to many common lift questions can be found
here
My Build Thread
navigator

Name: Chris

by DirtyBacon04 » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:55 am

you wont need anything adjustable for the rear (control arms or panhard) Flip/switch UCAs for sure, buy a spare set of tie rods as a spare. Some people upgrade to the HD tie rods, but personally I like having the weaker ones as a mechanical fuse. a lot easier to replace tie rods than a steering rack.

K&N would be an unnecessary luxury. Plus, many report that it allows more airflow, therefore more dirt. Standard paper filters are perfect for dusty roads.
Trans-Continental Trailblazer - 5th Award
Current Count of Transmission Rebuilds: 5.5
***The more you know, the less you need.***
USMC '07-'12
Dirty Bacon's Build
DirtyBacon04

Name: Michael
Vehicle Year: 2004
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ Aftermarket Locker

by bartonmd » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:22 pm

We're working on something for the stock panhard bar, right now...

bartonmd

Name: Mike
Vehicle Year: 2007
DriveTrain: 4WD w/ G80

by Brendon » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:50 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:you wont need anything adjustable for the rear (control arms or panhard) Flip/switch UCAs for sure, buy a spare set of tie rods as a spare. Some people upgrade to the HD tie rods, but personally I like having the weaker ones as a mechanical fuse. a lot easier to replace tie rods than a steering rack.

K&N would be an unnecessary luxury. Plus, many report that it allows more airflow, therefore more dirt. Standard paper filters are perfect for dusty roads.

Thanks for the tips. Are you talking about front and rear UCA's or just rear...any brand recommendation if I replace?. Will take your advise and not get the K & N, I definitely live on a dusty road.
Brendon
Cruiser

by Brendon » Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:54 pm

bartonmd wrote:We're working on something for the stock panhard bar, right now...

Looks cool Mike. I'm assuming this is used to center the axle? When will you have these available? Thanks
Brendon
Cruiser

by Brendon » Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:13 pm

DirtyBacon04 wrote:you wont need anything adjustable for the rear (control arms or panhard) Flip/switch UCAs for sure, buy a spare set of tie rods as a spare. Some people upgrade to the HD tie rods, but personally I like having the weaker ones as a mechanical fuse. a lot easier to replace tie rods than a steering rack.

Sorry if this is a stupid question...I'm new to all this. For spare tie rods should I get the outer and inner? Is it worth changing them out and keeping my old ones as the spare? Thanks
Brendon
Cruiser

by Brendon » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:02 pm

It seems like a lot of guys on the forum are using the massive adjustable panhard bar to center the axle after lift. Is there a reason you don't think it is necessary and are there negatives to this system. Thanks
Brendon
Cruiser

by bartonmd » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:14 pm

Brendon wrote:
bartonmd wrote:We're working on something for the stock panhard bar, right now...

Looks cool Mike. I'm assuming this is used to center the axle? When will you have these available? Thanks

It's to lower the vehicle-side panhard bar mount, which puts you more toward the center of the arc again. So yes, it sort of centers it, and is actually a better solution than changing the length of the panhard bar because it's at an angle.

As for availability, it's actually Erik's deal that I just had punched and bent at my real job. This is the prototype. As soon as it's installed and he's got a good comfort level about it, he'll order more and sell them.

Mike
bartonmd

Name: Mike

by Brendon » Sun Dec 27, 2015 5:28 pm

bartonmd wrote:
Brendon wrote:

It's to lower the vehicle-side panhard bar mount, which puts you more toward the center of the arc again. So yes, it sort of centers it, and is actually a better solution than changing the length of the panhard bar because it's at an angle.

As for availability, it's actually Erik's deal that I just had punched and bent at my real job. This is the prototype. As soon as it's installed and he's got a good comfort level about it, he'll order more and sell them.

Mike

Sounds great, thanks for the info. I'll be watching for them!
Brendon
Cruiser

by Norcrosski » Mon Dec 28, 2015 8:22 pm

I built my own drop bracket based on the S10 zr2 lift bracket been on mine for 12 thousand so far holding fine

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Norcrosski
Off-Roader

Name: Andrew
Vehicle Year: 2002

by HawkeyeC25 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:22 am

Brendon wrote:

Sorry if this is a stupid question...I'm new to all this. For spare tie rods should I get the outer and inner? Is it worth changing them out and keeping my old ones as the spare? Thanks

If it's higher mileage, I would do both inner and outer. Not too hard to do the inners. I just did both inners and outers on my truck - didn't take too long. As for keeping them for spares, if you break one, it's a bad day either way... as for changing them on the trail, you'll need some pretty big wrenches and a pickle fork to pull the joint out of the knuckle. Still, it's up to you.
2005 Trailblazer EXT LT V8 Lifted
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

Name: Craig
Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle: Chevrolet Trailblazer EXT

by KingBird » Tue Dec 29, 2015 10:22 am

HawkeyeC25 wrote:
Brendon wrote:

If it's higher mileage, I would do both inner and outer. Not too hard to do the inners. I just did both inners and outers on my truck - didn't take too long. As for keeping them for spares, if you break one, it's a bad day either way... as for changing them on the trail, you'll need some pretty big wrenches and a pickle fork to pull the joint out of the knuckle. Still, it's up to you.

I use a BFH.
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370

by HawkeyeC25 » Tue Dec 29, 2015 4:47 pm

Brendon wrote:
bartonmd wrote:As for availability, it's actually Erik's deal that I just had punched and bent at my real job. This is the prototype. As soon as it's installed and he's got a good comfort level about it, he'll order more and sell them.

Mike

Sounds great, thanks for the info. I'll be watching for them!

Same here - sign me up for one once they are ready!! :)
Build Thread
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't.
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

by Brendon » Tue Dec 29, 2015 9:49 pm

Thanks for all the great advise guys!! Any other comments are gladly welcomed...this is so fun!
Brendon
Cruiser

by KingBird » Wed Dec 30, 2015 1:50 am

Just wait until you get it out on the trails. With a little skill behind the wheel, these things are really hard to get stuck. I've surprised quite a few people in our blizzard-like conditions this weekend by going where no one else would/could and by pulling out trucks twice as big. I haven't even gotten my winch yet...
Bravada G80 3.73 converted to selectable 4wd.
KingBird
Trail-Blazer

Name: Brian
Vehicle: Other GMT360/370

by markmc » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:15 am

That bracket is sweet !!
:cheers:
markmc
Off-Road Vendor

Name: Mark
DriveTrain: 2WD

by HawkeyeC25 » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:04 pm

markmc wrote:

That bracket is sweet !!
:cheers:

Mike are you holding out on me??? :P Will you have any of these available when I see ya this weekend?? :poke:
Build Thread
HawkeyeC25
Trail-Blazer

by Cable810 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 9:43 am

I got 1 lying in the garage. Its an older version with only 1 hole for the panhead bar
The FIRST Solid Axle Swapped Trailblazer in Presque Isle County MI
My Build
The Roadie wrote:Research, plan your mods, fund the plan, then GO DO THEM. THEN WHEEL IT.
Cable810
Veteran

Name: Caleb

Next

Return to Lifts / Suspension